Jeep Grand Cherokee Diesel is coming!

FanofAllDiesels

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf Gls
Wow, I saw the thread title and thought that it might have been a revival from 2006. Diesels in Jeep GC have been done before. We have a 2007 with the 3.0 ltr Mercedes CRD engine and love it. If you don't want to wait, you might check to see if there are any used 2008 models out there. I say 2008 because they switched to HID headlights and a few other things that I wish my 2007 had.

Jeff

DnA Diesel

Veteran Member
TDI
no more...
While the VM Motori engine will no doubt be fantastic, I hope they do a better job on the transmission than the 545RFE they stuck behind the VM R428 in the Liberty CRD I use to own. The went cheap on the torque convertor and it resulted for issues for all drivers until they got an upgraded Suncoast TC.

A CRD-powered Wrangler with a 6-sp stick would be a great Jeep! If it doesn't come with a manual, then I think I'd invest a bit more and go with the X5d.

Cheers
D

2slowtdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 ALH Bora gone. 2006 Benz CDI 235hp 420ftlbstq
I was so happy to see that Jeep was to have a diesel I went to drive one today and had forgot about the 2013.
Dealer told me that they only had them to 2007 and did not have diesels anymore.
I only hope they just don't know that its 2013 and not that Jeep is not going bring them in.
I would love a diesel 4x4 SUV with a low range transfer case that can tow more than a fruit basket thats not the size of a small bus.

Tesla_1989

TDI
'11 VW mk VI Golf TDI 4dr 6-speed man :-)
I'm not in the market for one I think a Jeep is a very ideal car to put a diesel in. Now let's see them put a nice turbodiesel in the Wrangler.

dayne66

Veteran Member
TDI
(TRADED)2006 Jetta TDI Package 3 (Cdn) 5 sp
That's good news .....if it becomes a reality! by 2013 the Limited 'S' 3.0 will be about ready for some off-road mods and i'll need a new on-road Jeep.

Last edited:

Oberkanone

Top Post Dawg
TDI
13 Jetta TDI Premium manual "gone"
Grand Cherokee First Drive & Wrangler

http://www.autoblog.com/2011/04/27/jeep-grand-cherokee-wrangler-unlimited-diesel-first-drive/

Regarding price concerns, the federalized Grand Cherokee 3.0 CRD in the second half of 2013 should start at around $36,000 in 4x2 Laredo trim, $39,000 as a 4x4. A Wrangler CRD would most likely begin at $26,000 and go up as far as $31,000. Think $29,500 to $34,500 for the Wrangler Unlimited in diesel trim.

And, get this: If we convert that European liters/100km number to U.S. figures, the Wrangler CRD achieves 28.3 mpg city and 36.2 mpg highway with the manual tranny and 3.21 axle or 25.3/32.7 with 3.73 axle, the heavier Unlimited model getting only marginally less. Those numbers are positively stratospheric compared with the gas V6's 15/19 ratings, and while they would need to be EPA certified, we're certain they'll stay fairly high up there. Range from the 22.5-gallon tank sits just below 800 miles with the two-door Wrangler and around 730 miles for the Unlimited. Isn't it bizarre that we can't get our own Toledo-built Jeeps with their most efficient and off-road-gobbling factory trim?

Wake up, Auburn Hills. Wake up, federal government. Stop the irony and give us what works best.