Prevent Intercooler Damage and Turbo Boost leak areas

97pssat04golfTDIs

Veteran Member
TDI
1997 Passat GLS TDI traded in, 2004 Golf GLS, 2004 Passat GLS Sold in Nov. 2012
This is a post about some boost leak issues I have been having and finally were fixed recently by Oliver (TDI Racing). First we found an intercooler caked with oil, I was lucky it was still breathing at all. The plastic air flow director that aims the air into the intercooler had been rubbing on it enough so it actually pushed slight dents into the intercooler that eventually broke open after getting various chip tunes are hard driving. A new intercooler was installed and on the way home under light load I get limp mode from under boost :confused:. So next we tested the intercooler hoses for leaks and found no problems, had done the egr block off plates and was running out of ideas. Inspected the turbo, no oil seals all appeared fine then the culprit was spotted the egr hose on the bottom of the cooler had split open at the expansion area. So that hose was removed and block off plates were installed for the bottom and so far so good. I just did the vnt sensor adaptation for the turbo and the egr, so everything should be good now. I finally can enjoy the full benefits of the latest tune I had done back in August.:D The moral of the story is if you have your intercooler open look at the face of it and make sure the plastic air box is not to close or misaligned so it can press on the intercooler, you may need to cut back or grind back on the bottom edge of the air box in front of the intercooler. Also if you have boost leaks don't forget to check the bottom egr tube if you are not doing a full egr cooler delete.

Later