Trusted TDI Mechanics - By State

MrSafety

Newbie at Heart
California... Novato... 25 Mi. N. of S.F.
TDI
2002 Jetta TDI/ALH/01M-'80 240D Mercedes/'81 Rabbit "Caddy"/'99 Lexus ES300
Does anyone have a good recommendation for the SF Bay Area,
preferably East Bay?
I know about AVS in Berkeley,
but have heard mixed things about them.
Thanks!
This is NOT eastbay but this mechanic with 12+ years experience with
VW/Audi gaser autos is starting up his first business
here in Marin:
J.E.V. Automotive
Novato, CA

www.JEVautomotive.Com
most important he has the shop's previous owner
helping out on most diesels... and
I too am one of his cheerleaders!
Regards - Sam Ross

hondamnit

TDI
02 ALH jetta TDI
Stuttgart Motorwerks
798 South Grove Street
Hendersonville, NC 28792
(828) 694-3510

VW/Audi/Porsche service.

My boss has close to 30 years Porsche experience. He has been a Master Premier Porsche Technician since 1992.

And then i work on the VW/Audi cars. 10 years experience.

We are fully equipped with PIWIS/PST2 scanners for the Porsche cars and VCDS for the VW/Audi cars. All factory manuals and resources. Also fully equipped with all factory tools for VW/Audi work.

vlad0401

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf GL
im looking for someone that can change my TB or atleast someone that knows a whole lot about the golf mk4 or the mk4 tdi... utica, ny area. 13501 zip

i dont see anyone good on the map, the ones near me have had bad things said about them

ymz

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI Wagon, 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon
In Syracuse, Ed Karpinski's "Marcellus Street Garage" was well respected a while back. We haven't heard much of late...

Closer to you, in Bouckville, Pierce's Auto has gotten some good comments, but nothing recent...

Some people from the area drive down to Sunbury, PA... Dennis Marquette (Metal Man) is very highly regarded.

Yuri

Last edited:

K5ING

Mega-Miler
TDI
Silver 2001 Golf GL TDI 5-speed
Stuttgart Motorwerks

*** snip **

My boss has close to 30 years Porsche experience. He has been a Master Premier Porsche Technician since 1992.

*** snip ***
Our trusted shops are nominated by club members who have personal experience with them. We frown upon shops that advertise themselves as "trusted TDI mechanics".

My car was almost ruined by a very well respected VW/Audi shop who did lots of work on VWs and Audis, but hardly any on TDI engines. I'm not alone either.

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)

We are fully equipped with PIWIS/PST2 scanners for the Porsche cars and VCDS for the VW/Audi cars. All factory manuals and resources. Also fully equipped with all factory tools for VW/Audi work.
If you want to promote your business, even if you are just an employee, then you need to register as a vendor.

hondamnit

TDI
02 ALH jetta TDI
Our trusted shops are nominated by club members who have personal experience with them. We frown upon shops that advertise themselves as "trusted TDI mechanics".

My car was almost ruined by a very well respected VW/Audi shop who did lots of work on VWs and Audis, but hardly any on TDI engines. I'm not alone either.

i can assure you i know TDI's. sorry you had a bad experience.

If you want to promote your business, even if you are just an employee, then you need to register as a vendor.
sorry for breaking the rules.

with respect if a mod needs to take down my post there will be no hard feelings.

jasonTDI

TDI GURU Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
20' RAM 3500 CCLB dually HO/Aisan. 2019 Cherokee 2.0T
Just get some referral letters sent in or posted from them.

rgi

Veteran Member
TDI
1999.5 Jetta
Autobahn Service Center in Utah needs to come off the list. I recently took my TDI to them and had a really bad experience. I'm still dealing with residual issues from that repair. PM me for details.

MikeD1Be

TDI
2000 Jetta TDI
Been lurking here a while and needed to take my 2000 Jetta in for some work in Houston. Didn't see any Houston mechanics listed on the map but found this guy:

http://www.vdubautohaus.com/
V-DUB Autohaus
20815 H and R Road, Houston, TX
(281) 235-5934

I just needed a new A/C compressor but was impressed with how helpful he was.

The guy that runs it is named Christian, he worked for VW for many years as a new car tester and was in charge of the shop for a major dealership most recently. He let me stick around in the shop as he worked and pointed out a lot of things that might need work soon and what to look out for later on and things like that. He might be worth adding to the map for anyone in the Houston area needing work done.

polo2883

TDI
Non yet
So I am looking for a trust TDI mechanic shortly for our 40k servicing for our 2010 Jetta TDI. The cost we got from the the dealer is 575.95 for the general maintenance and 300+ for the DSG flush.

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
So I am looking for a trust TDI mechanic shortly for our 40k servicing for our 2010 Jetta TDI. The cost we got from the the dealer is 575.95 for the general maintenance and 300+ for the DSG flush.
You do not necessarily need a TDI expert for that work, and in fact you can do a lot of it yourself. The DSG servicing may require special equipment, so you may need to find an independent shop specializing in Volkswagens. But the rest can most likely be done in your garage or driveway. It's good to have someone help out the first time, to guide you through each step.

aplseed

TDI
2003 New beetle
trusted TDI guru in Iowa?

Does any one know of any trusted TDI guru's in Iowa or close to the borders in Nebraska or Missouri? I am in central Iowa and looking for a shop other than the VW dealer to do TB .

I have a shop I trust that works on alot of foriegn cars. , but they dont have specialty tools for diesel engines. He is looking into borrowing some from another mechanic he knows , but I am not sure if he will be able to do this repair or not.

does any one know what I shoudl expect to pay for TB replacement ? Book time lists it a 4 hr job. are parts cheaper if oprdered on line I wonder?

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Does any one know of any trusted TDI guru's in Iowa or close to the borders in Nebraska or Missouri? I am in central Iowa and looking for a shop other than the VW dealer to do TB .

I have a shop I trust that works on alot of foriegn cars. , but they dont have specialty tools for diesel engines. He is looking into borrowing some from another mechanic he knows , but I am not sure if he will be able to do this repair or not.

does any one know what I shoudl expect to pay for TB replacement ? Book time lists it a 4 hr job. are parts cheaper if oprdered on line I wonder?
I used to live in Central Iowa, and I planned on going to a neighboring state when my Golf needed a new timing belt. There are TDI gurus in Missouri, or in and around the Twin Cities, or in Madison WI. Sometimes one of the guys in Missouri travels up to Iowa, and that's something that might work out for you.

You should NOT go to a VW dealership, especially not Lithia VW in Des Moines. PM me with your exact location and tell me a little bit about your TDI, and I should be able to suggest a couple alternatives for you.

b166er

TDI
2003 Jetta TDI Wagon
When I attended one of the TDI dinners about 5 years ago I specifically asked about VeeVillage and as I recall no-one recommended them for TDI work. Perhaps they are good on the old air-cooled engines and maybe Porsches, but I don't have either one of them..

After reading the above post, I asked one of the local TDI mechanics and he won't deal with them anymore. (I don't really consider him a 'competitor' as he specializes in TDIs and they do not.)

Sorry, not trying to start a fight, just pointing out that opinions and experiences do differ in this case.

Bill
VV's bread and butter is in modern VW's. They made their name working on the aircooled, back in the day, but in Kansas City, working on aircooleds will not keep you in business. Perhaps this TDI mech considers them a competitor. Whether or not he will "deal with them", as another mechanic is very different than giving them your business if your needing someone you can trust to work on your Diesel, in the greater Kansas City area.

Losha

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta TDI DSG, 2001 Golf TDI, Audi S6, A8, Toureg
jwlionking, Can you please update my information on the list to VDUB Auto Repair 2732 W. 7th St. Sioux Falls, SD 57104 605-nine2nine-9614? thank you!

bhtooefr

TDIClub Enthusiast, ToofTek Inventor
TDI
None
Losha, you probably should register as a vendor if you're putting a repair business in your sig. ;)

autoperfection

TDI
Jetta
Michigan - Jackson county

Automotive Perfection
1706 Spring Arbor Rd.
Jackson Mi 49203
517-768-0563
autorepairjacksonmi.com

In business since 2007, we have Vag-Com, all necessary special tools and repair information. We always use the highest quality of materials available. Specializing in VW and TDI repairs.
Come experience the difference - we have technicians that are continually training and care about fixing your vehicle properly. No flate raters here. Loaner Vehicles available.

stockdad

Veteran Member
TDI
none
I am experiencing the fun and confusing low power on my 98 Jetta TDi. I have replaced the fuel filter and done the diesel purge to no avail, so now it's time for some professional help. I am in the Tacoma, WA area and see no mechs close-anyone know of a good mech near me? Thanks.

Last edited:

bhtooefr

TDI
None
You have a TDI, you can drive to a mechanic that's a couple hours or so away, you know. ;)

I know there's a couple mechanics (Fix-Um-Haus and oldpoopie) that are well-regarded in the Portland, OR area, don't recognize any of the names in the Seattle area.

I'd guess your problem is related to a bad boost hose in the ECU, though.

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)

stockdad

Veteran Member
TDI
none
You have a TDI, you can drive to a mechanic that's a couple hours or so away, you know. ;)
I know there's a couple mechanics (Fix-Um-Haus and oldpoopie) that are well-regarded in the Portland, OR area, don't recognize any of the names in the Seattle area.
I'd guess your problem is related to a bad boost hose in the ECU, though.
I don't know about you, but my life is insanely busy and the idea of driving to a mechanic a couple hours away or so sounds time-consuming. I would have thought that a relatively major metro area like Tacoma would
have at least ONE!
And your comment about a bad boost hose is one solution among dozens for this common problem-I don't have time to wild goose chase anymore, hence the search for a LOCAL mechanic.
Thanks for the advice!?!?

bhtooefr

TDI
None
I'm sure that there is someone that claims to work on TDIs, in your area. They'll probably happily throw $2000 of turbo and injection pump at the problem even if that's completely unnecessary.

However, if you want someone GOOD... then you have to be willing to travel if there's not a good mechanic in your area. And if you're not willing to travel, or do the work yourself, then you might consider getting a different vehicle.

MrSafety

Newbie at Heart
California... Novato... 25 Mi. N. of S.F.
TDI
2002 Jetta TDI/ALH/01M-'80 240D Mercedes/'81 Rabbit "Caddy"/'99 Lexus ES300
I am experiencing the fun and confusing low power on my 98 Jetta TDi.
I have replaced the fuel filter and done the diesel purge to no avail, so now it's time for some professional help.
I am in the Tacoma, WA area and see no mechs close-anyone know of a good mech near me?
Thanks.
"stockdad",
Start a new THREAD...
give more descriptive details of your symptoms...
and what specifically you have tried to fix your TDI...
and give us a chance to help you gain a notch on the DIYer experience grade!
And then edit your POST above and give us the html ADDRESS of
your new THREAD!
Best regards,
Sam Ross... aka MrSafety !

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Does anyone have any experience with the service department at CDI in Victor, NY (just east of Rochester)?

http://cdicars.com/
It appears to be a used-car dealership that sells Japanese and European brands. I would be pleasantly surprised to hear that they have a service department, but would not expect them to know much if anything about Volkswagens and certainly not TDIs.

sgoldste01

Veteran Member
TDI
None; Replaced 2010 Golf TDI with 2012 Subaru Impreza 5-door with manual tranny
It appears to be a used-car dealership that sells Japanese and European brands. I would be pleasantly surprised to hear that they have a service department, but would not expect them to know much if anything about Volkswagens and certainly not TDIs.
They do have a service department, and I've heard that they do good work.

http://www.cdicars.com/service.aspx

I was just curious if anyone on this forum had any experience with them.