Any suggestions for removing extreme caked/baked brake dust?

McGuillicuddy

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon (5MT)
A set of Monterey 15" wheels came with my wagon that I want to use for winters. Unfortunately they have loads of extremely caked/baked-on brake dust from years of neglect. I've tried various chemicals (brake cleaner, oven cleaner, Iron-X) and nothing takes this stuff off. I've tried a nylon brush on my drill but that doesn't do much. A brass brush does seem to work with some effort but that seems pretty abusive and leaves the rims pretty scratched up and would require additional rounds of sanding etc. prior to repainting. I fully expect to have to paint them but would prefer to minimize the pain and $$ necessary for this project. Any suggestions?

Last edited:

derek5120

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 jetta GLS
If your painting anyways why not get them sandblasted? I know it will cost money but judging by the chemicals you've used there isn't much option.

McGuillicuddy

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon (5MT)
Yes that's a possibility. Thing is I can buy another used set for not much more than $100 so it doesn't seem to make a lot of sense paying that much (or more) for sandblasting plus the cost of primer/paint on top of that.

Wingnut

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta Wagon
I had a similar issue with some old wheels I bought to use as winters on my wifes Rogue. When I did a Google search the consensus was the best product was called P21S wheel cleaner, but super expensive ($40 for a spray bottle). But if you can get a hold of some masonry cleaner, it apparently works really well. But it is acidic, so wear protection (gloves, mask, glasses, etc.). Some say the acid will harm the clearcoat/paint, but since you appear to be wanting to paint the wheels after cleaning, it's a non issue.

https://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=929586

Not sure where to find that stuff locally, but a similar product can be found at Lowes currently on sale for $8.99:

https://www.lowes.ca/fireplace-main...6-22-oz-brick-x-masonry-cleaner_g1190399.html

Last edited:

McGuillicuddy

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon (5MT)
I had a similar issue with some old wheels I bought to use as winters on my wifes Rogue. When I did a Google search the consensus was the best product was called P21S wheel cleaner, but super expensive ($40 for a spray bottle). But if you can get a hold of some masonry cleaner, it apparently works really well. But it is acidic, so wear protection (gloves, mask, glasses, etc.). Some say the acid will harm the clearcoat/paint, but since you appear to be wanting to paint the wheels after cleaning, it's a non issue.

https://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=929586

Not sure where to find that stuff locally, but a similar product can be found at Lowes currently on sale for $8.99:

https://www.lowes.ca/fireplace-main...6-22-oz-brick-x-masonry-cleaner_g1190399.html
Thanks Wingnut, will give that a try. Looks like they have it in stock in Crappy Tire too.

McGuillicuddy

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon (5MT)
Reading further, it looks like Muriatic Acid (mostly HCl) does the same job. It's even easier to find and cheap :). Will try and report back.

McGuillicuddy

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon (5MT)
Stay upwind and wear some rubber gloves. It will do the trick. If you have a concrete driveway, you might want to do it somewhere else. It will etch the concrete to some extent.
Yup, definitely require safety gear. Rubber gloves, safety glasses, and definitely a well ventilated space. It does etch concrete - got a bit on the floor of my garage, no big deal.

As for the result, it definitely is working the best of anything I've tried so far. It does have some effect on the baked/caked brake dust, but it's not an apply and rinse-off kinda thing. Multiple applications and much scrubbing is still required, at least for my wheels (which are admittedly in awful shape). I only briefly tried the acid with a scotchbrite pad with some modest success but next I think I will try the Muriatic acid in combination with the nylon drill brush.

The hardest part is finding a place to do the work. You don't want to do it on your driveway or anywhere that the runoff will reach your grass. And as mentioned above, you don't want to do it in your concrete garage. Ideally a large plastic tub or something like that would do the job.

Last edited: