98 Jetta starting question

Albert Marks

TDI
1998 Jetta
Hi,

I have a 1998 TDI Jetta. Drove it last night without problems. This morning, tried to start it, starter clicked and then went dead. Sounded like battery was dead (no power at all to any of the accessories) so I replaced it with an identical spare battery that I had, fully charged.

Now there is power to all accessories, reset radio code, and all that. Checked (with a generic OBD tool) that there are no codes. Starter does NOT click.

If I have the ignition on the start position and press the clutch pedal down and release, I hear a click, which seems to indicate that the clutch lovk out switch is working? Not sure.

Any ideas anybody what this is most/more likely to be?

Many thanks!

edjet

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDi,
You can hit your starter to see if it is hung up. If it turns over after a good whack, you probably have a starter going out. Also check your connections on your starter, they may be corroded. Vag-Com can look at your clutch switch functioning, so you may have to use a meter to read your clutch switch to determine if it is bad if you don't have access to VAG-Com.

Last edited:

Albert Marks

TDI
1998 Jetta
More on starting

Thanks for the help. I just doubt it's the starter, because of the utter non-functioning of the system.

When a battery is replaced on these cars (1998) does the alarm system or anything else need to be reset?

Any directions anywhere on removing the clutch lockout switch? Bentley is worse than useless on this issue.

Bentely is also fairly useless on where to find "Terminal 50" of the solenoid, to test if for voltage.

Thanks again!

edjet

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDi,
I just had a 98 I rebuilt, and the battery was out, no problem restarting, just the radio reset. I will look at the wiring on the terminal 50. No issues with the alarm, I think it is all locked in the ecu.

I will look for the clutch lock out removal proceedure

Albert Marks

TDI
1998 Jetta
I am supremely grateful.

I checked the FAQ and did not find any information beyond basic starter checking which I am doing now.

I really appreciate your help!

edjet

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDi,
Bentley Manual, Cluthch (02ATransmission) page 30b-3 shows the starter lock-out switch.

Albert Marks

TDI
1998 Jetta
Thanks to both of you.

Page 30b-3 is a much better picture compared to the 27-7. Maybe it will help me to remove it.

Any idea on how to test "Relay 53" (I assume I will find it in the relay block?)?

Also, I am measuring 12 volts at the starter (actually looks like the solenoid) + terminal. Any idea how to access the other terminal to check if it gets 12V in the Start position?

Thanks again!

Rickstah

Veteran Member
TDI
NB, 2002, green, Eurotek STG1
my two problems with Christine not starting involved bad ground points under the battery tray, and the battery cable to the starter terminal had gotten a little loose and would not flow enough current to kick the starter over. Both separate incidents, that maintenance and tightening solved. All I got.

Albert Marks

TDI
1998 Jetta
More questions on no-start

Hi,

In the process of trying to figure out the clutch lock out switch, I found out that there are 2 switches being activated by the clutch pedal. The lower (closer to the floor) one is black and is normally (when clutch pushes it in) closed.

Other one, closer to dash, is in my case (98 A3) green and I have not taken it out.

Any ideas which is the clutch lockout, and what it its normal condition (I assume being pushed by the pedal in should be closed)?

Also, there appear to be 2 relays that have "53" on them. Any idea which is the lock-out?

Thanks!

edjet

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDi,
Nope, I went and looked at my A3, I saw the two switches.

If you have two relay 53s, swap them, and see if the car starts.

Last edited:

edjet

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDi,
The lower switch might be for the cruise cut out, and the upper one is the clutch start switch. I am using my Haynes manual, nice pictures. I say might be because my Haynes manual is for 99 to 2002 model year.

Albert Marks

TDI
1998 Jetta
Many thanks again!

I do not have Haynes for this car... And as far as I have been able to check so far, Bentley does not show the 2 switches, let alone speak about green vs. black, etc.

Any ideas how to reach "terminal 50" from above?

As to the 2 "53" relayes: All I am seeing is 2 relays that have "53" on the outside. One is in relay position 21 (per Bentley) the other in position 12. The one related to the lock-out is supposedly in position 21. But is there any reason to assume that another relay is identical just because it has "53" on it?

Thanks!

edjet

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDi,
Most relays will have a schematic on the side. You can compare the two, look for a part number, see if they are the same. Terminal 50 looked like it is on the starter.