Immobilizer problem (2003 Jetta)

Jerry Stringer

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat, 1997, Emerald Green
2003 VW Jetta TDI

I replaced the two top-most seals on the fuel injection pump. A couple of days later the temperature dropped more than 25 degrees overnight and the car wouldn't start the next morning. This had been happening more often due to the seals needing replacing, but it wouldn't keep running after repeated attempts. I replaced the pump head seal and the car still wouldn't crank. It was only then that I looked at the dash and saw the Immobilizer light was on. It is still on and I have tried all the "tricks" to reset the Immobilizer to no effect. The error code is 17978 (Engine Start Blocked by Immobilizer). Using the instructions from the Ross-Tech site (http://www.ross-tech.com/vag-com/cars/Immo3-measuring-blocks.html) after accessing 17-Instruments I get the following codes:

022 0,1,0,2
023 0,0,0,6
024 0.0,0.0,0.0,0.0

The morning it wouldn't stay running (I now know) was because of the Immobilizer and not the pump head seal. My car is cranked many times per day so I have an on-board battery charger. It was hooked up the night before this happened. Since this has happened I noticed the voltage (monitoring voltage with device plugged into cigarette lighter) being 15.5 volts. I have monitored the battery charger since then and it only goes to 14.6 and then drops to float. I have checked and all fuses are good. In using instructions from the Ross-Tech site I did have a fault code of 01176 -Key (07-00 Signal too low). I have been using the keys I have always used with the car, one of which is the valet key which, as far as I know, was original to the car.

The higher-than-normal voltage has to have caused the original problem. I need help.

Jerry

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
I think it's an immobilizer issue, the transponder and the key won't sync.
All those values look right excepting 022,n,n,0,n and 022,n,n,n,2.
The first indicates it will not be possible to match this particular key!
The second indicates you have 2 programmed keys, I'm guessing that's fine.
Have you tried the procedure where you simply leave the key in the ignition for like 2 hours?
There is a component in the dash (steering column) that syncs up with the chip in the FOB, obviously that was working before. I think it just needs a re-set.

Jerry Stringer

Veteran Member
TDI
Finally sent my ECU to AArodriguez Corp for an immobilzer delete and it was returned in a couple of days. Installed ECU and the car cranked immediately. Still have the immobilzer symbol blinking in the dash but I'll soon take care of that.

Jerry

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
Seen a couple of these lately, immo kicking in after some service. Seems like bullstuff.

Franko6

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
Jetta, 99, Silver`
If you have an immobilizer deleted, the light doesn't go off?? What the heck! Did you attempt to delete the code in VCDS? That might work.

Vince Waldon

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 ALH Jetta, 2003 ALH Wagon, 2005 BEW Wagon
The cluster (which is responsible for reading the key) still complains when there's a bad key... can't help that.

When you send your ECU away for an immob delete the ECU gets re-programmed to ignore the annoyed cluster... and the car starts.

Cluster is still annoyed... light stays flashing. :)

TDIFan1989

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Mk4 Jetta TDI (Black)
Seen this before, system goes for a walk for some reason and needs a reset. Any good locksmith would be able to re-program the keys resetting the system back to normal. As for the IMMO delete, the cluster will still indicate it is not being satisfied. Black electrical tape is your friend.

Jerry Stringer

Veteran Member
TDI
Having never removed the instrument cluster before, is there a bulb to remove or a wire to clip that will turn of the flashing light? (I have no idea as to what the rear of the cluster looks like)

Jerry

Vince Waldon

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 ALH Jetta, 2003 ALH Wagon, 2005 BEW Wagon
It's a circuit board with everything soldered directly, including the immob LED.

Which is why "black electrical tape is your friend". :) :)

RexNICO

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Tiguan, 2011 Q7
Seen this before, system goes for a walk for some reason and needs a reset. Any good locksmith would be able to re-program the keys resetting the system back to normal. As for the IMMO delete, the cluster will still indicate it is not being satisfied. Black electrical tape is your friend.
I'm curious about this as I had IMMO defeated on a previous (gasser) MKIV and did not experience the constant flashing light??

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
Have you tried asking M. Rodriguez why your light is still blinking? It shouldn't with a proper coding.

dweisel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
dweisel isn't diesel anymore!
Having never removed the instrument cluster before, is there a bulb to remove or a wire to clip that will turn of the flashing light? (I have no idea as to what the rear of the cluster looks like)

Jerry
With a flashing immo light I just go into the back of the cluster. A dab of black paint on the immo led takes care of the problem.. Not sure about Jetta clusters , but 6 screws on a Beetle cluster and your in.

TDIFan1989

Veteran Member
TDI
With a flashing immo light I just go into the back of the cluster. A dab of black paint on the immo led takes care of the problem.. Not sure about Jetta clusters , but 6 screws on a Beetle cluster and your in.
Jetta's are even simpler than the beetle. Pull the bottom plastic with rubber away and it exposes 2 - T25 screws (obviously don't let them fall down the black abyss). Back those off, pull gently on the cluster and pop the connectors off. There's a few Youtube vids on how to further disassemble the cluster to get at that IMMO light.

TDIFan1989

Veteran Member
TDI
I'm curious about this as I had IMMO defeated on a previous (gasser) MKIV and did not experience the constant flashing light??
Depends how you went about defeating the IMMO in your vehicle. Some go as far to remove or cover the IMMO light in the cluster. Otherwise I got no clue, ghost in the circuits playing nice I guess.

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
I had the Immoblizer deleted in the 2002 ALH set-up in my Vanagon (seems JFettig actually removed the chip). The light has never come on other than when I tested a junk yard ECU.

TDIFan1989

Veteran Member
TDI
Vanagon's are a completely different beast from Golf/Jetta/Passat(s) in how their IMMO systems operate. That light staying off makes sense in that regard.

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
Vanagon's are a completely different beast from Golf/Jetta/Passat(s) in how their IMMO systems operate. That light staying off makes sense in that regard.

Apparently you never noticed my signature.

My Vanagon has a 2002 ALH TDI engine with about 90% of all the Bells and Whistles relating to its functions, etc., as when it was in the Jetta. ;) I did install the Jetta ignition (yeah, two key system;)), with "two" OBD ports ... done 'er right! 80k miles on the conversion. http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=276798

Below, early in the project, OE Vanagon ignition (out of focus), Jetta ignition and OBD port on the dash of the Vanagon... :D

And, yes it is a Beast ...... but when the CEL comes on in the cluster (Jetta :D), I connect my VCDS to see what's a happenin' ;)

The OE Jetta Ignition operates the ALH engine independent of the various systems in the Vanagon with three exceptions, 1. Van ignition powers the ALH ignition, 2. The Van AC system tells the TDI AC Compressor when to kick-in, and 3. The Engine pushes the 'ell out of the Vanagon transmission when I ask it to do so with my foot!:D The modified/installed Jetta Cluster does tell me about fluid levels, temp, RPM, speed, odometer, CEL, and did tell me things about the Immoblizer.

But, I wanted rid of the Immoblizer... so, at the Annual TDI Fest in 2013, I had it deleted and a Stage 1 tune programmed! Works great!