AHU number 1 bearing cap further in than block

TDI-T

TDI
97 AHU
My number 1 bearing cap is further in than the bearing on the block. I've never seen this on another engine. Can anyone confirm if this is normal? Not sure how it could be wrong, but I didn't take a look before i pulled the other crank. Hopefully the pics explain a bit better.

https://imgur.com/gallery/Zyadp

Yes, I did double check and the cap is on the right direction ;) Crank seems to rotate fine, too.

Last edited:

iluvmydiesels

Veteran Member
TDI
AHU
it looks like its (bearing and/or cap) out of alignment. it may not look right, and may be off.
so pic is 180dg off? it looks upside down.
as far as setting it right, it may not be a serious problem. you may also have more/or the same problem if you take it apart. it looks like the last person who put it back together didnt get it correct. hard to be sure how to correct just looking at a pic.

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
Wrong bearing cap? Do the other bearing caps have the same texture machine marks on the non bearing surfaces?

TDI-T

TDI
97 AHU
it looks like its (bearing and/or cap) out of alignment. it may not look right, and may be off.
so pic is 180dg off? it looks upside down.
as far as setting it right, it may not be a serious problem. you may also have more/or the same problem if you take it apart. it looks like the last person who put it back together didnt get it correct. hard to be sure how to correct just looking at a pic.
One of the pics makes it look like it is out of alignment, but the bearings actually sit pretty flat. If you look at the last pic it shows they are a bit more flat. The block was upside down when I took the pic.

Last edited:

TDI-T

TDI
97 AHU
Wrong bearing cap? Do the other bearing caps have the same texture machine marks on the non bearing surfaces?
Yeah, they all have those machine marks. Engine was totally stock before I simply replaced the crank.

That's the cap closest to the front of the block. Labeled number 1 right on it. The bearings that go into the block have that indent tab on them so I'm not sure how possible it is to get the bearing placed incorrectly. Plus, the cap bolts down so it is hard for that to be off. Plus, the crank spins.

Really hoping someone has a 1Z or AHU with the oil seal cover off to take a look. I wonder if that normally hides this?

Everything worked fine with the old crank. I just buggered up the flywheel holes and so I put in a different crank and new bearings.

Last edited:

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
If the tabs both line up and there is + 95% bearing insert to journal contact, my best guess is that you are O.K. It is a head scratcher though, isn't it?

TDI-T

TDI
97 AHU
If the tabs both line up and there is + 95% bearing insert to journal contact, my best guess is that you are O.K. It is a head scratcher though, isn't it?
Hey thanks for taking the time to respond. I am a bit dumbfounded for sure. Just great to get other minds on it!

TDI-T

TDI
97 AHU
After double checking all 5 of the bearing caps, it seems all of them are off to one side like number 1 except number 3. I've triple checked the Bentley and the caps do indeed seem to be in the right orientation (numbers are viewable from the opposite side of oil pump side when the engine is upside down).

Almost seems like they should be flipped as they look like they would fit better. I took pictures before I took it apart and I put them back in the same orientation. She ran fine before, too.

Anyone else ever notice this?

Here is a pic of another block from another forum:
http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?4059425-The-16ValveInside-Engine-Assembly-Thread

In the third pic down, notice the top of the number 2 bearing cap - see how the metal edge is showing on the block side? Gas engine, but they look pretty similar.

Last edited: