www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > Other VW Group TD(I)s

Other VW Group TD(I)s To keep with the theme of VW Diesels, this message area is for discussion of other VW Group Diesels. Yes, TD's are also welcome.

Old February 16th, 2017, 20:12   #1
Dr Chill

TDI(s): 2015 A8L TDI
Default Why no love for the A8L TDI?

I've owned many cars but the 2015 A8L I bought 6 months ago may be my favorite so far. Fast, extremely comfortable, great highway cruiser/luxobarge. Gets 38 mpg on the highway too with almost 800 miles per tank. Why do people just not seem to care about it?
2015 A3 TDI (BB 3/9/17)
2013 S4

Last edited by Dr Chill; March 7th, 2017 at 03:25.
Dr Chill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2017, 09:31   #2
RebelTDI
Veteran Member

Not care about it? It's in the fantasy car category. Probably a bit out reach for most people and pretty rare. Maybe only a handful of people own one, I'd guess. A prefect car to drive from Maine to Key West I'll bet.
RebelTDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2017, 10:11   #3
oilhammer
Certified Volkswagen Nut Vendor

Fuel Economy: fantastic

Not many could afford one, they cost as much as my house (literally, not kidding) and they do not sell many A8s at all, let alone diesel powered versions.

I think it is an INCREDIBLE car, and if I had to pic from any of the big luxo-sleds available today, that would easily be my first choice.

See my FS thread:

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=446942
oilhammer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2017, 10:27   #4
mrchill
TDIClub Enthusiast
Super Secret Diesel Ninja Vendor
w/Business number

Location: MASS! home of THE WORLD SERIES CHAMPION RED SOX! x 2!

I love those cars...Until DG, I would randomly get on Audis website and build then....once done though, I realized that I didnt have 40k deposit on a 1200\mo payment...but I kept looking anyway. I even still look at used ones....they have come down a lot...but I would have to sell 12 of my cars to buy one...then I would have only one car....and whats the fun in that?

If you were traveling at the speed of light, and you turned your lights on......would anything happen?

What if the hokey pokey really is what it's all about?

You will get NOTHING! And you WILL be GRATEFUL!
mrchill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2017, 12:09   #5
RebelTDI
Veteran Member

At least you'd be driving around in ONE awesome car!
RebelTDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2017, 12:32   #6
Dr Chill

TDI(s): 2015 A8L TDI

There are several 14 and 15's available for sale that are in the $40,000 to $65,000 range and each comes with a minimum $5000 to max $13000 back from the 3.0 settlement. I bought mine 8/16 for $57,000 with 20,000 miles on it. I'll get either $6500 or $13,000 back when it gets the approved fix, the lower amount if the prior owner files a claim by May 1. If there's no fix, then my buyback will likely be something like $88,000.
Dr Chill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2017, 13:14   #7
mrchill
TDIClub Enthusiast
Super Secret Diesel Ninja Vendor
w/Business number

Location: MASS! home of THE WORLD SERIES CHAMPION RED SOX! x 2!

I have seen a few nice ones....If I had the spare change...I would be all over one. Not many near me...but TONS on the west coast.

If you were traveling at the speed of light, and you turned your lights on......would anything happen?

What if the hokey pokey really is what it's all about?

You will get NOTHING! And you WILL be GRATEFUL!
mrchill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2017, 14:27   #8
kooyajerms
grocery getter

Fuel Economy: 39 MPG mixed @75MPH

I also think that most people who are buying an A8 new aren't really thinking about maintenance or looking for DIY's the same way we do on the other models. I've seen a couple A7/A8's out here in California, but that's to be expected. Wrench on their own Audi? Doubt it.

Not many threads titled "HOW-TO Audi Q7 TDI timing chain change w/pics". Or "Audi A8 sunroof drain fix with wire hanger". Weird I know.

To be honest I'd love some threads as I just got my mom to buy a used Q7 with 22k miles, but I doubt We'll see much support. You could go to AUDIZINE OR CLUBTOUREG for some info, if you can keep clicking through all those damned ads.
kooyajerms is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2017, 14:59   #9
cevans
TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI Parts Ninja Vendor
w/Business number

I think there is a LOT of LOVE, but NOT a lot of CARS. Any figures on how many A8L TDIs they sold? I bet under 500.
cevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2017, 16:34   #10
2015vwgolfdiesel
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Varies. City up to 43. High way up to 60.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Chill View Post
I've owned many cars but the 2015 A8L I bought 6 months ago may be my favorite so far. Fast, extremely comfortable, great highway cruiser/luxobarge. Gets 38 mpg on the highway too with almost 800 miles per tank. Why do people just not seem to care about it?

IMO

your question answers itself

Way too much $$$s for most folks
2015vwgolfdiesel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2017, 16:46   #11
IndigoBlueWagon
TDIClub Enthusiast
Principal IDParts
Vendor
w/Business number

Fuel Economy: 50/45/37

See how you feel in a few years. Set of tires is about $1,200 plus shipping and install. Brakes will probably run about $2-3K if it's like other A8s. And it will need both often. And once it's out of warranty there's a range of expensive things that can fail, which will drive its value to a fraction of what it costs now.

Time to buy one of these is when the value hits bottom, probably in another 5-8 years. Just like big Mercedes, people are terrified of these cars repair costs when they start to get old. But it doesn't have to be like that.

Regardless, that's a much larger car than I'd want to own.
Old March 7th, 2017, 03:12   #12
MBQ
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 43.5MPG

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoBlueWagon View Post
See how you feel in a few years. Set of tires is about $1,200 plus shipping and install. Brakes will probably run about $2-3K if it's like other A8s. And it will need both often. And once it's out of warranty there's a range of expensive things that can fail, which will drive its value to a fraction of what it costs now.

Time to buy one of these is when the value hits bottom, probably in another 5-8 years. Just like big Mercedes, people are terrified of these cars repair costs when they start to get old. But it doesn't have to be like that.

Regardless, that's a much larger car than I'd want to own.
You have to pay to play and you forgot the extended warranty after the potential fix, at least.

I wouldn't touch a gas version with a 30-foot pole but this 3.0 TDI edition is worth gambling as of now.

Most used A8 TDIs have evaporated from the market since the weekend before 2/14. The few left-over ads are either for bait & switch or super expensive.
MBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2017, 04:08   #13
oilhammer
Certified Volkswagen Nut Vendor

Fuel Economy: fantastic

I have maintained since new a 2005 A8L, with the 4.2L gasoline V8, for a customer of mine. It has never seen the dealer once after it was purchased. It has proven to be a very nice, well constructed car. Solid and pleasant to drive. It has had a few things need attention, most notably the air suspension, which is hardly unique to that car. ANY car that has air suspension is going to sooner or later require air spring replacement. It has also needed two replacement sets of upper links, as their bushings are the same as the much smaller cars (so they simply do not last as long). It has also needed the nav screen motor replaced, which as I recall was a pretty pricey piece.

Tires are expensive, oil changes are expensive (seriously, you have to remove the air cleaner assembly to access the oil filter ), headlamp bulbs are expensive (HIDs, and you have to R&R the front bumper assembly, complete with its 20-pin wire harness connector), and it of course drinks premium gasoline like the owner has his own oil well in his back yard.

BUT... it is a very nice car, and I think it was well over twice what my new Passat cost in 2004, and my Passat was as expensive as you could have gotten without getting a GLX or W8 model. But the owner loves his Audi, and he treats it well. And it probably has cost no more to operate than a T'reg, and it drives INFINITELY better and doesn't creak or rattle over bumps in the cold and is extremely comfortable to drive.

So if you could get that same level of car with a diesel engine that barely uses any more fuel than a Jetta? Yeah, that would be pretty sweet!

See my FS thread:

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=446942
oilhammer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2017, 05:17   #14
IndigoBlueWagon
TDIClub Enthusiast
Principal IDParts
Vendor
w/Business number

Fuel Economy: 50/45/37

I specifically mentioned brakes and tires because they're much more expensive on a larger, heavier, car, and not covered by warranties. I appreciate being able to purchase Michelins or similar quality tires for my MKIVs for less than $400 a set.

Sure you have to "pay to play," as you glibly stated. But I'd prefer not to. I don't want a car that big, that flashy. I'm honestly uncomfortable driving my new to me 2011 335d. I like VWs because they aren't showy. And in my world, where at this point most high school kids wouldn't be caught dead in a MKIV Jetta, that's a plus in my mind. I think there are more than a few people who feel the same.

Last edited by IndigoBlueWagon; March 7th, 2017 at 05:20.
IndigoBlueWagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2017, 11:08   #15
Floridadonald

TDI(s): 2001 Beetle

The shifter moves from gear to gear but when I let out the clutch when it is in gear the car doesn't move. If the shifter is in neutral position it rolls forward when I let up the clutch

I am at a loss to figure out what is wrong. Any help is apprecaited and will share the answer with the forum.
Floridadonald is offline   Reply With Quote