www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > Meetings/ GTG/ Regional Discussions > Future TDIFests

Future TDIFests Discussions about future TDIfests

Closed Thread

Old February 17th, 2017, 06:18   #136
ottomatic
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddieleephd View Post
Where in Brevard could we drive fast?

https://www.singletracks.com/bike-tr...-trail-11.html

it's where I broke my clavicle, 2 fingers & dislocated my shoulder.
Old February 17th, 2017, 14:55   #137
SilverGhost
Veteran Member

Hey, Ottomatic. Where in E TN are you? I'm a couple minutes from BNA (Nashville airport). I saw that a couple members are in TN down on the Cumberland Plateau. I'm still holding out hope a few of us can get something in this area together.

Jason
Old February 17th, 2017, 15:36   #138
ottomatic
Veteran Member

North of Knoxville.
Old February 20th, 2017, 05:49   #139
VeeDubTDI
Good Ol' Boy
TDIClub Enthusiast

Fuel Economy: see signature
Thumbs up

Quote:
I have learned there is always a possibility however unlikely.
Submitting to defeat is the only true way to ensure there is no possibility!

We need to use this thread now to at least try and decipher a way to mobilize future possibility if nothing else!

Sometimes expected parameters need to change to make things happen!

How many really want to make one happen?
What are they willing to do to make it happen?

Scouts and research are necessary, however, what other parameters are?

It is possible to do something in a national forest within range of affordable accommodations.
Just depends on who is open to such a gathering.
That's the spirit, Eddie!

Trusted TDI Mechanics Map || TDIClub Chat
Old February 22nd, 2017, 18:33   #140
ottomatic
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverGhost View Post
Hey, Ottomatic. Where in E TN are you? I'm a couple minutes from BNA (Nashville airport). I saw that a couple members are in TN down on the Cumberland Plateau. I'm still holding out hope a few of us can get something in this area together.

Jason
http://tailofthedragon.com/plan-your-trip/
Old February 23rd, 2017, 07:52   #141
VeeDubTDI
Good Ol' Boy
TDIClub Enthusiast

Fuel Economy: see signature

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottomatic View Post
I spent months researching venues around that area - all of them require at least a 15 months lead time in order to secure a reservation for something the size of TDIFest.

That said, now would be the time to start contacting venues for a 2018 Fest if you want to see it happen in the TN mountains.

Trusted TDI Mechanics Map || TDIClub Chat
Old March 12th, 2017, 21:39   #142
AnotherPerson
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 1999 Beetle

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeeDubTDI View Post
I spent months researching venues around that area - all of them require at least a 15 months lead time in order to secure a reservation for something the size of TDIFest.

That said, now would be the time to start contacting venues for a 2018 Fest if you want to see it happen in the TN mountains.

I would have interest if it's in the smokeys.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old March 13th, 2017, 09:29   #143
aja8888
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: About as good as it gets!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherPerson View Post
I would have interest if it's in the smokeys.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
What would your interest be in? Organizing? Attending? Other?
Bring the 1971 Beetle back to life thread:
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=472400
Old March 14th, 2017, 13:25   #144
1.8terrible

TDI(s): 03 1.8t

I would love to attend one in north TX. I know it doesn't seem like a very popular option, but it wouldn't be too bad of a drive and pretty central for the most people to meet up.
Old March 15th, 2017, 01:12   #145
pkhoury
That guy with the goats

Fuel Economy: CR - 36-41, PD - 39-48 (26-32 while towing)

Quote:
That's because if you don't live in Texas you generally don't want to be there!

Austin, I call an oasis of not Texas right in the middle of Texas!
Crazy thing is, It's the capitol!
Austin sucks. I try and avoid it whenever possible. Or, if going through Austin, I take the JSW, because being able to roll coal, along with my vanity plate, pisses people off there.

Quote:

Either way you go, it's a looooong drive through Texas.
Everything is bigger and there's even signs, al down the interstate, warning you about messing with Texas!
And for good reason, too. There's also lots of signs that say "Left lane for passing only," but for some reason, all the California transplants can't seem to comprehend what that means.

Aside from my dislike of Austin, ideal places would probably be DFW, Houston, or maybe San Antonio (closest to me, but I find it somewhat boring).

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1.8terrible View Post
I would love to attend one in north TX. I know it doesn't seem like a very popular option, but it wouldn't be too bad of a drive and pretty central for the most people to meet up.
North TX is over 300 miles for me, but I drive that way anyways when I visit my TDI guru (alphaseinor), so I'm quite used to the drive. DFW, as aforementioned, would probably be the best bet, if TDIfest were ever held in TX, not to mention better proximity to neighboring states, as opposed to SA, Austin, or Houston.

Quote:
Originally Posted by john.jackson9213 View Post
X 2 on this. Much of Texas is all just the same. Austin is nice, Dallas/Ft.Worth has more trees and green than much of the rest of the state.
Uhh, no. Hill Country is gorgeous (where I live). The plains is kinda bland; West Texas sucks - looks the same as I-10 from Palm Springs, CA to Junction, TX. I HATE that drive. East Texas has some swamps and more waterways. Saying much of Texas is the same is like saying Germany and Japan look the same.
Malone Stage 4, VNT17, DC Stage 2 clutch, buzzken 2.5" straight pipe, MFA cluster swap, dieselgeek Panzer plate and short shifter, Bosal towbar, Tekonsha P3 brake controller, Hopkins short-proof trailer light converter, darkside SMIC, intake manifold, and tip pipe, PD150 airbox
2005 Jetta Wagon GLS (mother's car) - Malone Stage 4, VNT17, MFA cluster swap, Panzer Plate, buzzken 2.5" straight pipe

Last edited by pkhoury; March 15th, 2017 at 01:20.
Old March 15th, 2017, 01:22   #146
pkhoury
That guy with the goats

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomo366 View Post
I don't know if you folks posting in this thread realize it but their is virtually no chance of a TDI Fest happening this year......and quite possibly never again....and this is sad...But the Dieselgate affair is a big problem for this club.....and the decline has been going on even before Dieselgate happened.and this has been a huge part of my life only missing 2 Fests!
Don't forget about our vendors, who've also been hit equally hard. Dieselgate has really been hard on everyone across the board. Ironically for me, as a result of dieselgate, I purchased 3 more TDIs (4 in all).
Malone Stage 4, VNT17, DC Stage 2 clutch, buzzken 2.5" straight pipe, MFA cluster swap, dieselgeek Panzer plate and short shifter, Bosal towbar, Tekonsha P3 brake controller, Hopkins short-proof trailer light converter, darkside SMIC, intake manifold, and tip pipe, PD150 airbox
2005 Jetta Wagon GLS (mother's car) - Malone Stage 4, VNT17, MFA cluster swap, Panzer Plate, buzzken 2.5" straight pipe
Old March 15th, 2017, 04:44   #147
IndigoBlueWagon
TDIClub Enthusiast
Principal IDParts
Vendor
w/Business number

Fuel Economy: 50/45/37

We can always count on Tomo to bring a ray of sunshine and optimism to the conversation. But I think he'd agree that the 2016 Fest, held during the thick of Dieselgate, was one of the best ever. The Fest may change, but for many of us TDIs, TDIClub, and TDI Fest will be around for quite a while. I think every other year is a good idea.
Old March 15th, 2017, 09:40   #148
pkhoury
That guy with the goats

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoBlueWagon View Post
The Fest may change, but for many of us TDIs, TDIClub, and TDI Fest will be around for quite a while. I think every other year is a good idea.
I certainly hope so. These have truly been the best vehicles I've ever owned, not to mention that I've also enjoyed interaction with many other members on our forum, including those I've met in person (like Lawson). It's an awesome community of enthusiasts.
Old March 15th, 2017, 14:12   #149
tomo366
TDI Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoBlueWagon View Post
We can always count on Tomo to bring a ray of sunshine and optimism to the conversation. But I think he'd agree that the 2016 Fest, held during the thick of Dieselgate, was one of the best ever. The Fest may change, but for many of us TDIs, TDIClub, and TDI Fest will be around for quite a while. I think every other year is a good idea.
Thanks Peter.....I actually have been trying really hard to be more positive....
But sadly I believe this is the Reality of the situation.....I still have my 2015 Jetta and it is a wonderful car.....
2015 Jetta TDI SEL Tornado red
2014 BMW 328D XDrive Glacier Silver
2001 Jeep Cherokee silver
Old April 7th, 2017, 17:27   #150
AndyBees
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: life time average above 50 MPG on the Jetta

Well, I see a sad road ahead for both the TDI club and TDIs. I peek in daily and the number on-line appears to be much lower than just a few years ago. I'm sure visitation stats will reveal the activity... maybe I am wrong!

All of my friends, including my brother, are dumping their TDIs, either through the buy-back or replacing older ones with something outside VW.

Today, I dropped off my heart monitor at the hospital lab. I was sporting my VW Baseball cap. Two ladies at the lab commented on my hat and VWs. One of them sold her TDI (2015 wagon) through the buy-back and bought a Chrysler product for replacement. The other lady owns a 2016 gasser. She is so disappointed in the VW dealer service....... $200.00 for an oil change that didn't include an oil filter.

And, my brother is dumping his '03 TDI Jetta for a Toyota, Nissan or KIA product..

Wow! If this sort of thing is happening across the land, it's hard to believe VW will come back as strong as it has been.
'84 Vanagon '02 ALH TDI engine(32 to 35+ MPGs consistently) Malone Stage 1 tune. Road trip to Nova Scotia 2013. Road trip to Alaska summer 2014 & 2016, 11k & 12k miles. 71k miles on install, Jetta Cluster odometer currently at 200kk miles.
Closed Thread