www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > Picture Gallery/Specs of Members' TDIs > Other TDI/Diesel Picture Gallery

Other TDI/Diesel Picture Gallery Do you have a TDI or Diesel not listed above? If so write a message here describing it and insert a picture if you have one. If you don't have one on the computer, email me and I'll give you my address and I'll scan it for you. If you need web space for it, email me as well. Please make a short yet descriptive title for your vehicle.

Old February 5th, 2017, 04:41   #91
Macradiators.com
Veteran Member

Putting 3mm oversize valves is almost impossible because you have to increase valve seats a lot and there is not much room left. Sounds too optimistic to be true.

You might wanna check dimensions you offered above because are totally wrong
Old February 6th, 2017, 05:44   #92
xjay1337
Veteran Member

Hi shortysclimbin
Thanks for the post. Many of the issues we are aware of and have already sorted.
Gearbox supports will be done when I eventually get around to switching to a lower mileage gearbox and fit an LSD.

I have not had swirl flaps since originally fitting the gtb kit. Had no issues without them.

Hopefully starting the teardown soon, just finalising some parts.

click for build thread - CR170 GTB2260. CP3 by Bobby Singh
xjay1337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2017, 06:11   #93
Rub87
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortysclimbin View Post
Two years ago I ran into the same issues. I actually sold my performance cams, ported, head, dual valve springs, and custom valves last year to a guy in the usa.

Some helpful info maybe:

1) the v6 3.0l TDI CR motors have valves that are about 3mm larger in diameter than oem and same dimensions. they are also sodium filled! I'd suggest running those and just changing the slope angle and valve seat angles on them to fit your needs.

2) the oem intake valve ports split the air and have a very very aggressive reflow swirl built into one of the intakes for low RPM swirl and emissions. Removal of that will drastically help higher RPM but may mean more emissions on lower RPMs. Since you have a good tuner who isn't minding to tinker with new things, (unlike our USA tuners). I'd suggest you keep the intake flapper valves and use the controls to flow more at lower RPM through the single swirl valves that are like the MK4 VE heads. Those intake tracks I'd suggest to only clean them up and worry about the valve seat angles at first! By doing this you will drive a large volume of air at lower rpm to the swirl ports and you can take the old swirl ports and create them into straight feed valves like gas cars for higher RPM. Watch your flow ratios though to make sure you don't kill the swirl and 80% intake to exhaust flow ratio.

3) The cams which have been tested as drop in were used on stock heads. I suspect the flow ports in the head design are actually the limiting factors. Cams on top of a good port job may drastically increase your power potential at higher rpm if you can keep your fuel pressures up in the rail.

4) with the CP3 we were still seeing some fuel rail pressure drops. This was resolved by replacing the stock engine bay electric fuel pump with a heavy duty diesel one that the flows 3 times more pressure.

5) watch that transmission 4/5 gear spread. at the ~390ftlb these manuals have a tendency to walk the gears apart on the 02S transmissions. you might want to get that brace in there if it isn't there already.
Id be happy to hear valve pn and engine code from this v6 engine with 3mm bigger valves. Last time I checked valves where larger, but less than one mm
Old February 6th, 2017, 10:48   #94
Macradiators.com
Veteran Member

Exactly Ruben, 0.7mm more , not worth the trouble i think.
Old February 19th, 2017, 08:20   #96
turbobrick240
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortysclimbin View Post
Two years ago I ran into the same issues. I actually sold my performance cams, ported, head, dual valve springs, and custom valves last year to a guy in the usa.

Some helpful info maybe:

1) the v6 3.0l TDI CR motors have valves that are about 3mm larger in diameter than oem and same dimensions. they are also sodium filled! I'd suggest running those and just changing the slope angle and valve seat angles on them to fit your needs.

2) the oem intake valve ports split the air and have a very very aggressive reflow swirl built into one of the intakes for low RPM swirl and emissions. Removal of that will drastically help higher RPM but may mean more emissions on lower RPMs. Since you have a good tuner who isn't minding to tinker with new things, (unlike our USA tuners). I'd suggest you keep the intake flapper valves and use the controls to flow more at lower RPM through the single swirl valves that are like the MK4 VE heads. Those intake tracks I'd suggest to only clean them up and worry about the valve seat angles at first! By doing this you will drive a large volume of air at lower rpm to the swirl ports and you can take the old swirl ports and create them into straight feed valves like gas cars for higher RPM. Watch your flow ratios though to make sure you don't kill the swirl and 80% intake to exhaust flow ratio.

3) The cams which have been tested as drop in were used on stock heads. I suspect the flow ports in the head design are actually the limiting factors. Cams on top of a good port job may drastically increase your power potential at higher rpm if you can keep your fuel pressures up in the rail.

4) with the CP3 we were still seeing some fuel rail pressure drops. This was resolved by replacing the stock engine bay electric fuel pump with a heavy duty diesel one that the flows 3 times more pressure.

5) watch that transmission 4/5 gear spread. at the ~390ftlb these manuals have a tendency to walk the gears apart on the 02S transmissions. you might want to get that brace in there if it isn't there already.
You kept the auxiliary fuel pump with the cp3? I don't know if that was a good idea.
turbobrick240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2017, 10:40   #97
YukonLT
Veteran Member - TDIClub Enthusiast

Fuel Economy: Good

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbobrick240 View Post
You kept the auxiliary fuel pump with the cp3? I don't know if that was a good idea.
I was wondering the same thing...
Old February 19th, 2017, 12:26   #98
Rub87
Veteran Member

depends one th eflavour of cp3. with some it is not adviseable to run positive pressure to fuel inlet, and definately not in the amount that a stock cp4 liftpump provides.

reason for this that some cp3 have the case pressure relief back to inlet, and some to the outlet. if its to the inlet, the case pressure will rise 1:1 with feed pressure and this will make the metering valve flow very different as what the will believe it flows.