Oil separator CCV Filter

pgdub

TDI
jetta 2001 Black
I have no ccv mods done on my car but after cleaning the intake out, im gonna get one (very dirty)...I want to get a oil separator that is used on air compressors, i have a general idea how to instal one, but i was more concerned about whether or not this will work well, and wether it will work in winter time, and not just normal winter i mean like average temp of -20 degrees celsius, and if this isnt the best setup that i can do myself then what would be recommended...thanks PGDUb.

dr_canak

TDI
2000 Golf TDI : Silver
Search the forums for "Provent." It seems to be the current CCV mod people with which people are experimenting and reporting good results.

hth,
jeff

Deezel

TDI
NB, 2002,Auto,Black,Black leather
pgdub,
I just manufactured my own ccv setup using an oil separator that is used on air compressors and a fuel filter. I couldn't afford the $200 provent setup. I've only spent about $25 so far but I find that I am constantly modifying it trying to make it better. When it is all said and done I may have been money ahead if I had gone with the provent,
but I sure am having fun tinkering with it. Don't know how it will do in the cold weather but I’m not sure if the provent has proven itself under cold conditions either. Do a search in Google under pcv catch can and you will find some other designs. This is not just a TDI issue as you will see.
Deezel

pgdub

TDI
jetta 2001 Black
I dont want to spend 200 dollars on a filter, i want to make one myself, i was thinking of using a air line oil separator and an inline filter, but i want to make sure that it will work int he winter here in the north...

Wingnut

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta Wagon
I dont want to spend 200 dollars on a filter, i want to make one myself, i was thinking of using a air line oil separator and an inline filter, but i want to make sure that it will work int he winter here in the north...
Click on my signature and you will find 2 links to CCV mods. The first one is an old post with a few variations of CCV systems. I tried an inline oil separator used for air compressors and it failed misserably. It clogged within days. It is designed for high pressure flow, not the low pressure our CCV's put out. It gets glogged very easily.

The second CCV mod link is the setup I am currently using. It was developed by a member named TDIKev and we are both still testing it. I am also installing one in a car this week for another member, so we will have 3 testers in the Toronto area to provide feedback. So far so good. No freezing and the outlet is still clear.

I am actually thinking of making a kit out of this system. It cost me just under $50 for all the parts and it took me less than 1 hour to fabricate the parts and throw it in. If I bought the parts in bulk, I could probably offer these kits for around $60. It would be pre assembled and just 5 minutes to install. I will put a feeler out once I have more data from the testing. But if you wanted to try to make one yourself, I included the list of parts in that thread.

CraigSmith

TDI
NB 01 Techno Blau
I used an airline water separator in a setup that looks much like Wingnut's with the large oil filter. Works great, used it for ~15,000 miles emptied it once (about 2-3 ounces) at 10,000 miles. Put it on about March, so not much wintertime use.

mailman

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 Black Jetta TDI
I'm still successfully using Wingnut's old CCV design. Just a simple dead-headed tubing run that collects quite a bit of oil. No moving parts, no clogging, no potential flow restrictions. I installed a small ball valve at the end of the dead leg and drain it every 5K miles ... usually get about an ounce or so out of it each time.

nick02

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta silver
I got my Jetta in Aug and read about the intake problems too. I took mine off and full of crud. I first put together Wingnuts design but I was still getting oil in the EGR. This past weekend I made a setup from a kerosene hand pump. I removed the pump ball and ran a hose to it from the puck. I ran the inlet side back to the intake and the discharge side to the atmosphere. It is two-one way valves. As the engine runs blowby will exit to the atmosphere, as the engine cools, fresh clean air will be inhaled through the intake. (at least that is what is suppose to happen). I will know more in a few weeks. Nick

pgdub

TDI
jetta 2001 Black
k, thanks for all the help, i will have to do a lot of reading and testing, another question i had was, I blocked off the EGR valve, with a metal plate, so now that the egr is disabled, will the intake still clog whether or not i have a ccv filter installed or not?
PGDUb

pgdub

TDI
jetta 2001 Black
..and another question, the FAQ's suggests that when the egr is recalibrated the intake clogging no longer occurs, is this accurate?
Thanks PGDUb

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
..and another question, the FAQ's suggests that when the egr is recalibrated the intake clogging no longer occurs, is this accurate?
Not quite. But the clogging will be reduced, most likely.

If you can reduce the recirculated exhaust, and reduce the oil entering the intake from the CCV valve, then it ought to take much longer for the intake and EGR valve to clog up.