bv43-109 vs bv43-189

Kody

TDI
AVF + 4motion 01E swapped 2002 passat wagon
I purchased a bv43-109 from ebay and the seller sent me a bv43-189. I planned on installing a bv43-109 and a darkside fmic on my 2002 passat with an AVF engine. My understanding is the bv43-109 is "bolt on" with the exception of the compressor outlet. Can anyone confirm if the bv43-189 would bolt on directly to my current exhaust manifold and down-pipe?

Also, what is the deal with the damper that bolts to the bv43-189 compressor outlet? I am having trouble finding much information on what its purpose is.

Any help would be very appreciated.

Edit: for clarification the bv43-109 is the B7 A4 2.0 TDI turbo, and the bv43-189 is the B8 A4 2.0 TDI turbo

Last edited:

adamss24

Veteran Member
TDI
audi a4 2.5 tdi 98 quatrro 6speed
The bv43 from the new CR engine won't bolt on the old AVF manifold, its clocked at a different angle, the bolt spacing is different and the hot side flange bolt pattern is different. You can use the bv43a core into the bv43 from the pd as the hot and cold side is interchangeable between the two. For what it's worth, the bv43a from CR is a much more modern turbo, it has a 9 blade turbine and a 6+6 blade billet alloy compressor vs the PD 5+5 blade cast alloy compressor. The CR also have a better trim on the turbo and extended tip technology on compressor blades. If I was you I would rather keep the one you have and look for a blown pd Turbo to swap sides.
With a bit of know how the CR can be adapted but involves a bit of drilling and grinding and the hoses won't line up the same way + the exhaust will need modifying. For an easy swap just get the pd turbo...

Kody

TDI
AVF + 4motion 01E swapped 2002 passat wagon
Thank you for the response. I wish I had the time and skills to adapt this turbo but because of my current situation I'm going to exchange the turbo for the bv43-109.

Mikkijayne

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi S8
. For what it's worth, the bv43a from CR is a much more modern turbo, it has a 9 blade turbine and a 6+6 blade billet alloy compressor vs the PD 5+5 blade cast alloy compressor.
This got me wondering about buying a CHRA with the billet compressor, but I can only find them for the 140hp version, for example this one. Is that the one you mean? No one seems to mention a billet wheel for the CR 170.

adamss24

Veteran Member
TDI
audi a4 2.5 tdi 98 quatrro 6speed
The CR 170 Bhp does have a billet compressor as the cr140 as fitted to the a4/exeo...even the 118Bhp CR turbo as fitted to my 2011 exeo has a billet Compressor wheel...