dsg service at 40,000

TDICube

Veteran Member
I know that this has been asked before, but I am at my 40,000 mile point and the plot thickens. I live in Eastern Virginia, and I call up the local dealers for a price quote for the 40,000 mile service. Checkered Flag VW(a trusted VW Dealer in Fred's Data Base), "the DSG service is not needed sealed unit". I ask the service advisor to talk to the local guru. Now it is needed for a total 40,000 service price of $750. I called Casey VW. They(including a Tech that just graduated from VW training) said that the DSG was new, but as far as they know it was a sealed unit. They would look at it during the regular service. Greenbriar was on the list and they knew about the DSG for a total of $822.00 for the 40,000 mile service. What is a fair price for the 40,000 mile including DSG service? Any independents recommended in the Eastern Virginia area?
Thanks in advance
Cube

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Those are normal prices for dealer service. About $400 each for the 40k and dsg. Most will tell you to do the services yourself if possible. The 40k (minus dsg service) can be done for around $100 if you do it. Check the guru list for someone around you. They will probably be much cheaper than the dealer. As you can see the dealers are confused on what actually needs to be done to our cars and what fluids to use. Search around this site. There are lots of posts on these things. Check my sig for "How to search" if you aren't used to doing that here. Welcome!

Last edited:

06JettaTDIdsg

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI DSG
yup. There is no reason for a dealer to charge so much for a DSG service. It is not that hard to do. There are some specific tools needed, but they are readibly available.

MyAvocation

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2017 Passat SEL TSI
For the record, last month it cost me $377 for everything needed for 40K w/DSG, but $95 of it was for the VAS-6262 tool (one time cost). It would have been even cheaper if only purchasing required filters and fluids.

FWIW: The DSG service really is a simple procedure (found in How To link).

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
I edited my post above to reduce confusion. The 40k service, minus the dsg service, can be done for around $100 if you do your own work.

Evolution

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL, Platinum Gray
The DSG sevice at 40k cost me $425.00 at the dealer. I don't have Vag-Com yet.
As far as the general service, I do it all myself. Check out www.tdiparts.com They are a vendor here on the board and you can find service kits there for cheaper then I have seen before. Peter is also having a sale on Elf oils, I just stocked up for both our TDI's. Thus making service even cheaper, here's the link to the vendor forum:
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=206719

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Seeing as how you said they weren't very good the first time you called, I would imagine that is for the regular auto not the dsg. The fluid alone costs about that. $27 a liter if I remember right.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg