Glow plug flashing & brake light switch out-coincidence?

lmquinn

TDI
'03 Galactic Blue Jetta
Yesterday, my glow plug started flashing. (I had my fuel injector pump replaced 2 months ago.) When I got to work an hour later the brake light wouldn't go out. Went to the dealer and was told about the recall for the brake light switch. Getting that done tomorrow and they'll check the flashing glow plug out. My question: Can the two problems be related? The service guy said absolutely not. They are not connected in any way. The switch will be replaced under the recall but they'll dig into the flashing glow plug and let me know what's up. Does this sound right? It's just really strange that they both happened within an hour of each other. Could the defective switch trip the glow plug somehow? And why wasn't I notified about the recall?? I have an '03 Jetta TDI. Help out a very unmechanical person!

seftonm

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf
A flashing glow plug light indicates a computer / electrical problem, which in your case is extremely likely to be your brake light switch. The service guy should read your car's manual.

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta that I fill by myself
Due to whatever reason, the Flashing Glow Plug Light (FGPL) is what will warn you when there is a problem with the brake lights. There are 16 year old kids on this site that know this. If your VW trained technician charges you for diagnosing this, suggest to them that place the bill in a place that only a proctologist would find.

BleachedBora

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
'81 DMC-12, '15 GL350 CDI 275 hp/448 tq - '81 Caddy CJAA, '05 E320 CDI 250hp/450 tq, '23 ID4 AWD Pro S Plus
I think I'm speachless...I hate dealers.

tdidieselbobny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Galactic Blue Jetta TDI, '15 Silk Blue Golf Sportwagen TDI
Find A Different Dealer To Do Recall!!!! Do Not Tell Them About Flashing Glow Plug Light!!! Which dealer is this? Maybe someone from your area can suggest a different dealer.

Last edited:

lmquinn

TDI
'03 Galactic Blue Jetta
I'm going to the dealer in Palmdale, Ca as I'm pretty limited on dealer choice. I'm hoping to get several responses to my question so I can print the thread and bring it with me tomorrow when I tell them to ONLY fix the recall item and don't touch the glow plug. You guys are awesome!

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
lmquinn said:
I'm going to the dealer in Palmdale, Ca as I'm pretty limited on dealer choice. I'm hoping to get several responses to my question so I can print the thread and bring it with me tomorrow when I tell them to ONLY fix the recall item and don't touch the glow plug. You guys are awesome!
You should not have to show a dealership service advisor that a flashing glowplug indicator may indicate:
1) a faulty brake switch, or
2) a burnt-out brake bulb

Other indicators of a faulty brake switch are:
1) cruise control doesn't engage or stay engaged
2) automatic transmission models may be hard to get out of PARK.

Do not let the dealership mess with your glowplugs or glowplug harness -- it is a hugely profitable line of work for them, and rarely improves a thing. Just get the recall out of the way, and try to stay away from the dealership. Learn to do your own maintenance, find a local shop to do brakes and suspension stuff, when you need a new timing belt go see Harvieux in Fullerton (well worth the drive).

And plan to spend a lot of time here at tdiclub -- it can save you thousands of dollars.

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta that I fill by myself
T-rex said:
Learn to do your own maintenance, find a local shop to do brakes and suspension stuff, when you need a new timing belt go see Harvieux in Fullerton (well worth the drive).

And plan to spend a lot of time here at tdiclub -- it can save you thousands of dollars.
The only thing I would add is to Plan well ahead to have the TB done if you choose Harvieux. He is busy.

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
lmquinn said:
Took the car to the dealer yesterday. Brake light switch was replaced and glow plug problem went away. Imagine that! I hate dealers.
You just need to become more knowledgeable about your TDI, so dealerships (or independent shops) will know not to try selling work you don't need.