Coil Spring Replacement?

Green Golf

TDI
'01 VW Golf GLS TDI
I am in the process of doing a suspension refresh because my 2001 Golf is riding very rough. I've already bought new Bilstein TC's and mounts for front and rear and installed the rears to see how much of a difference it made. I have read a lot of posts on this website and spoken to people with more knowledge than myself about the need to replace the coil springs. Most people say that coils never really wear out; however, after replacing the rear shocks, mounts, and bumpstops (which were shot) I still feel like the car bottoms out over bumps that shouldn't cause bottoming out (i.e. relatively small bumps). My feeling on this is that it must mean that the coil springs need replaced since they are really the last component on the rear other than some axle bushings. Am I correct?

Also, if the rear coil springs are in fact worn out and need replaced, is it safe to assume that I should replace the front coil springs as well? Logic tells me that this is probably the case, but I thought maybe the rears are known to wear out (for some odd reason) sooner than the fronts. Due to time constraints, I do not intend to do the front struts, etc myself so I want to make sure I make the right decision before I take this into the shop to be done so it can all be done at once. I'm also changing the LCA's, sway bar bushings, end links, tie rod ends, and ball joints because all parts are original and I think are due to be changed. I just wasn't sure about the coils since everyone says they don't wear out.

Any recommendations on the wagon springs versus replacing with stock for the rear? I like the idea of using wagon springs to get a little more ride height, but they aren't cheap! Also, if I go with wagon springs on the rear, do I need the spacers to level out the front or can I get a longer spring for the front as well? Or will the wagon springs not knock the car out of level enough that it will be noticeable? My car has about 114,000 miles on it. Thanks in advance for any help or insight that you can provide. Please let me know if you need any further information.

dadsdiesel

Veteran Member
TDI
'99 NB TDI
Just went through this - ended up with Moog VR6 springs from rockauto.com

Rear springs #81055 - $38.89 pair
Front springs #81134 - $41.79 pair

I did not go with the wagon rear springs, just the VR6 sedan springs.

Here is my journey with this with some pics of before & after toward the end:

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=318829

Green Golf

TDI
'01 VW Golf GLS TDI
Thanks for the great info dd. That sounds like exactly what I'm looking for. I was hesitant at spending hundreds of dollars on something that I'm not 100% sure is necessary and I felt like I needed something more than stock springs, so the VR6 springs are probably perfect for what I'm looking for. One thing that concerns me is that my Golf is a GLS model (I'm pretty sure) and Rockauto.com says that these springs are compatible with the 1999 model of the Golf GLS only. I didn't think the springs were any different in a standard Golf, GL, or GLS. Does anyone know anything about this before I place my order? Also, when I search for suspension parts on Rockauto.com for my car (Volkswagen; 2001; Golf; 1.9L ALH; Suspension; Coil Spring), these MOOG springs are not returned as options. Does this mean they will not fit right on my car? I'd like to order these springs asap, but I'd hate for them not to fit. Thanks for your help!

coalminer16

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf 2004
The Golf has some of the weakest springs and the older ones were even weaker. Mine are soon to be replaced with used VR6 fronts and wagon rears. I figure they are a little more broken in so they won't be as harsh but it will help with towing and raising me up a bit more. And yes springs do in fact wear out. Most of the time it comes as a broken coil or they tend to sag more then normal. If the springs are under the right conditions there whole life they won't deform and they won't wear out but one wrong bump too many times or too much weight or the rust is too deep and the spring isn't the same.

dadsdiesel

Veteran Member
TDI
'99 NB TDI
As far as ordering the springs from rockauto -

My Jetta is a GLS TDI - in order to have the VR6 springs come up, I entered "Jetta GLX".

I just did the drill down for my Jetta as stock TDI and got:

Rockwell front - SC801220F
Rockwell rear - SC801210R

Then I just did the Jetta GLS 1.8T and it gave me the Moog springs.

Then I did your 2001 Golf - When you scroll down a bit, you will see the exact same Rockwell part numbers as I found for my Jetta.

So, that tells me that the Moog 81134 & 81055 should work.

It is kind of weird in that I see a lot of different spring options there for the Golf than I do for the Jetta.

Green Golf

TDI
'01 VW Golf GLS TDI
Awesome, thanks again for the response dd. I was perusing around the site a little more and read the thread titled "Beef on a budget. VR6/Wagon Springs." and miketoth1979 also used the MOOG springs (same part numbers you provided) on his 2001 Golf GLS, so I'm feeling pretty confident they will work now. That just confused me a little when I didn't see them listed as an option on Rockauto for my car. I greatly appreciate your help, now I just need to place the order so I can get the work taken care of soon.

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf TDI GLS
I ordered the front and rears for the vr6 too. I just put in 2001 golf and picked the v6 motor then found the springs. Should be an excellent spring for the money!

Green Golf

TDI
'01 VW Golf GLS TDI
Thanks 52172, I placed my order on Saturday night and they were here by Tuesday during the day. Talk about quick turnaround. Now I just gotta find time to get the rears in and setup a time for the mechanic to do the entire front end + alignment. I'd like to tackle the front end, but don't have the time or a garage and only have one car for the two of us, so no contingency plan. Can't wait to get this car riding like I know it should. Thanks for everyone's help thus far!

Judson

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta
As another, but a bit more expensive, solution, The Tire Rack is
selling H&R OE springs that are sportier than stock, but lower the
car very little, for about $210 including shipping.

It's a really good deal at that price!

mjbach

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 Golf
I found that the wagon springs won't work on my 1999.5 Golf GL as they don't fit in the spot. I think those that are working have the GLS model of Golf.

So now I have to return those.

Got a great deal on them at Advanced Auto using a $35 off 100 coupon including free shipping. Now I can return them locally at least.