Letting my TDI sit

Peakoilride

TDI
2005 jetta sedan tdi 58,000k
dear awesome people,

I have a few questions about a trip I am taking to Alaska. I have an '05 jetta TDI, 5 speed, 37,000 miles on it. First, I am going to drive from Tucson, AZ to Anchorage, AK in about a month or so. I am curious what you guys think I should do to get the car ready for a 4,000 trip up and eventually back down. Everything is running great and I have recently done an oil change on the car. I have no tools of my own at this point and am considering taking it to the dealership to get the $400 maintenance done to the car (water filter drain, fuel filter change, ect). I have only had the car for about 6,000 miles and the previous owners took care of it, however, they did not get it serviced at VW.

Second, I will be working in a remote location of Alaska. I will be parking my car in a long term lot coming back to it once a month for 5 months. I am already worried about it getting stolen, but more so, I am worried about the car deteriorating and not starting up when I need it. I would appreciate any knowledge, comments or ideas you guys have. Thanks for your time

-Max

eb2143

Top Post Dawg
TDI
None
Peakoilride said:
I have no tools of my own at this point and am considering taking it to the dealership to get the $400 maintenance done to the car (water filter drain, fuel filter change, ect).

$400?? You don't need many tools to do this kinda stuff..read up, buy $100 in tools, and at these prices you'll be saving money quick

I'm in school and have left my car parked for a month at a time without starting. It has started right up.

Here is a great link for some things to consider before leaving it:
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=174439

Although they are talking more long term than what you are doing...Your battery is going to be drained slowly if you keep the battery in and the alarm set. When you come back, I'd put it on a trickle charger whenever possible.

I'd use additives in the fuel (PS is fine) just to keep the water out and maybe a chemical to eliminate possible algae growth. Leave it parked with a full tank.

Rodent infestation is something I would worry about. Not sure what to do on this one. Try to seal up the engine bay from the bottom as best as possible. I have a DG skidplate and working sideskirts so I feel pretty good. But I don't know what you could do. Again, keeping the engine bay as sealed as possible could help reduce corrosion.

As for theft. That's a tricky one. Is the lot fenced in, or could anyone come in and tow it away? I might consider additonal precautions if you don't trust the area.

that's all I can think of now. If you have good amperage from your battery, it will start after a month no problem.

Good luck.

Geo-1

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Jetta, stock
Solar charger that plugs into accessory port in the trunk should help battery from discharge, assuming the vehicle is in the sun.

Powder Hound

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'00 Golf 4dr White 5sp, '02 Jettachero 5sp, Wife's '03 NB Platinum Gray auto(!)
What the above guys said. Diesel engines can sit much longer and start up with no problems than any gasoline engine. Do the suggestions above and relax.

And make sure your comprehensive insurance is up to snuff.