MN Chat Thread

DeafBug

Gone but Never Forgotten: Requiescat In Pace
TDI
2001 NB
Steve,
I got everything big moved. It is just the small/meduim stuff that is left to be moved but the people who help me paint moved them. The painting is on its progress to be completed on timel. Then all left is the woodwork and other small jobs.

Thanks to those who helped.

MNmiser

TDI
'01 Jetta
Another GTG?

Well do we dare have another GTG so soon? I finally have the hoist open so we could get a couple cars in. Just putting it out there if anyone needs to do some servicing.

Losha

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta TDI DSG, 2001 Golf TDI, Audi S6, A8, Toureg
I need to do suspension work on my TDI, ASAP. Needs to be replaced struts, shocks, and all the hardware like rear axle bushings, control arm bushings and ball joints.

A-Mark

TDI
03 Jetta
I would be up for it as well. I am doing a bunch of maintanance to my car today, so I don't know if I will have anything that needs to be done....Although my starter has been sticking and I ma not sure I'll get to that this evening, so that may be something I could use help with.

Otherwise, I am up for just meeting some of you and hanging out.

aaron

10then34

Veteran Member
TDI
'06 Jetta
MNmiser said:
Well do we dare have another GTG so soon? I finally have the hoist open so we could get a couple cars in. Just putting it out there if anyone needs to do some servicing.
Do you have a lift ? I have this shiny evolution skid-plate sitting in my garage. Today, I put the car on my ramps and did an oil-change using the drain. I realized that the car sits so d#$% low on the ground that I don't quite see how I can do some of the jobs in a safe manner (mainly yanking those 18mm subframe bolts loose).

MNmiser

TDI
'01 Jetta
10then34 said:
Do you have a lift ? I have this shiny evolution skid-plate sitting in my garage. Today, I put the car on my ramps and did an oil-change using the drain. I realized that the car sits so d#$% low on the ground that I don't quite see how I can do some of the jobs in a safe manner (mainly yanking those 18mm subframe bolts loose).
I do have a lift but it is tough for the low Vws to make it onto the lift. Usually we have to stack boards to drive up and over. It is not a two post style where the arms swing under. the lift is self contained and portable. It is a scissors style, it lifts the car about 48 inches of the ground.

Im in East Central Minnesota about a hour north of Minneapolis. I see some of the Dakota guys are chiming in. It may be quite the drive for you fellas.

Does Sunday Work for anyone?

burpod

teh stallionz!!1
TDI
82 rabbit vnt ahu, 98 jetta vnt ahu, 05 parts car, 88 scirocco.. :/
rats, can't make it this weekend. i'd be up for a gtg later in january

cochranecustoms

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 VW Beetle TDI
Does anyone have tools or does TB, etc?

Hey,

After letting the 1998 tdi bug sit for a few months- I'm finally getting up the ambition to do the timing belt, pullies, etc. since it has 100k on it now. I'm wondering if anyone rents or has tools to do the job (just the vw specific tools, I have the rest). Or does anyone do the job for a reasonable fee- I'm thinking about buying the kit from the guy that sells the full thing on here, so it would be labor charges. If you know of either or do either please send me a message, with prices if you have them or we can talk it over too. Thanks!!

10then34

Veteran Member
TDI
'06 Jetta
MNmiser said:
Im in East Central Minnesota about a hour north of Minneapolis. I see some of the Dakota guys are chiming in. It may be quite the drive for you fellas.
A bit out of the way indeed.

I guess plan-b will be to loosen the subframe bolts with the car planted on the ground and drive it on the ramp once the initial tie is broken. In order to drop a set of e-codes in I'll have to pop off the front valence anyway, this should give me fair access to the frame rails for the forward mounting brackets.

Losha

Veteran Member
TDI
10then34 said:
A bit out of the way indeed.

I guess plan-b will be to loosen the subframe bolts with the car planted on the ground and drive it on the ramp once the initial tie is broken. In order to drop a set of e-codes in I'll have to pop off the front valence anyway, this should give me fair access to the frame rails for the forward mounting brackets.
Trust me you don't want to losen subframe bolts or remove it. Its pain in rear to put it back on if you don't have full size lift. I had to remove subframe yesterday when was replacing whole suspension related hardware, not fun.

Losha

Veteran Member
TDI
cochranecustoms said:
Hey,

After letting the 1998 tdi bug sit for a few months- I'm finally getting up the ambition to do the timing belt, pullies, etc. since it has 100k on it now. I'm wondering if anyone rents or has tools to do the job (just the vw specific tools, I have the rest). Or does anyone do the job for a reasonable fee- I'm thinking about buying the kit from the guy that sells the full thing on here, so it would be labor charges. If you know of either or do either please send me a message, with prices if you have them or we can talk it over too. Thanks!!
I will be in Bloomington/Minneapolis area next saturday-sunday so I would be able to help you with TB job. It would been interested to do TB on Beetle haven't done on beetle yet, only Golf's and Jetta's. PM me and we can come up with a price for labor.

10then34

Veteran Member
TDI
'06 Jetta
Losha said:
Trust me you don't want to losen subframe bolts or remove it. Its pain in rear to put it back on if you don't have full size lift. I had to remove subframe yesterday when was replacing whole suspension related hardware, not fun.
It is just one pair of bolts to put the mounting bracket for the skid-plate on. I don't have to remove the entire subframe.

Losha

Veteran Member
TDI
MNmiser said:
Sounds like you guys in the Dakotas should have a GTG.
Well the things is we are in different Dakota's, he is some were in ND and I'm in south east side of SD. I'm only 4 hours from minneapolis and i usually go there a lot. I've been thinking about another GTG in SD area, just don't know where we could find a heated shop where we could work on couple cars same time.

10then34

Veteran Member
TDI
'06 Jetta
Losha said:
Well the things is we are in different Dakota's, he is some were in ND and I'm in south east side of SD.
We are a slim 230miles from each other. Nice thing is that this is all 75mph interstate with rather spotty law enforcement presence :)

And this was the scene my wife stepped into in 'my' garage this evening. Her only comment was 'and this is the car you where planning to take to work on monday ?'.

I had decided to combine the evolution skid-plate install with the hella e-code install. Turned out to be a good idea as the removal of the front valence (for headlight access) makes it a lot easier to get to the point on the frame-rails that the T-brackets for the evolution need to be bolted to. You certainly learn to love T25 torx during this job. So far everything went smoothly, the only knuckle busting exercise was getting the d#$% electrical connectors off the stock headlights. I am optimistic that I will indeed be able to drive to work on monday ;)

Last edited:

Losha

Veteran Member
TDI
10then34 said:
We are a slim 230miles from each other. Nice thing is that this is all 75mph interstate with rather spotty law enforcement presence :)
Wow, nice shop/garage. What city you located in? 230 miles thats close about 3 hours drive.

Losha

Veteran Member
TDI
10then34 said:
Thats what I was thinking, since thats the closest big town. Well I guess we could setup GTG sometime this month (January). I'm sure Aaron, Mark, my self, nebraska people if they willing to drive and mybe Gid if can get hold of him. Let me know what you think about this idea, dates, place. I can't do at my place since my garage is small non heated and its packed right now only one car at time can go in.

Steve-o

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon
I'd be up for another TC-area GTG. Still got that skidplate to install. And if BleachedBora ever sends me my Koni Reds from last September, I'll have shocks and struts to install, too. Oh, and GP#4 to replace. January is filling up fast, though ... *sigh*

DeafBug

Gone but Never Forgotten: Requiescat In Pace
TDI
2001 NB
cochranecustoms said:
Hey,

I would be happy to coach/guide you with the timing belt job. But Losha has my timing belt tools since I am out of commission for unknown amount of time.

Are we talking about this coming Sunday? Wild Card weekend in Football? Here are my thoughts, Saturday Jan. 19th or the weekend of Jan 26/27? That should give some time for those to get parts or plan their trip. (There is no football those days.)

cochranecustoms

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 VW Beetle TDI
TC gtg

I know of a couple of places to work on cars, shakopee, lakeville, and possibly one other place all indoors & heated- would just need to arrange a date- one or two of the places has a lift. If anyone is interested just let me know- my name is Nick. I started tearing apart the 98 tdi beetle this weekend- was leaking oil, think its the crankshaft seal. Not sure what I'm doing yet for tools for the 100k tb job- but I'm waiting on the kit to come anyway.

Nalgene

Hi All, I'd be up for a MN GTG. I have a timing belt that needs replacing. I'd be willing to do it myself, but I definately would need a large hand of guidance and of couse I'll be willing to accomidate accordingly!

I am mechanically inclined, having replaced the shocks and the struts in my car, along with cleaning the intake, replacing the ECU, vacuum lines, N75 ect... I've read through the procedure a couple of times, but I've never changed one yet. I've ordered the T-belt and water pump kits from diesel geek, but I understand DeafBug has the tools, would you be willing to bring then Losha?

I know that a T-belt change is a big (time consuming) job, so if you all don't want to do one at a GTG, I understand.

I'd like to get it done as soon as I can, so I'd be more inclinded to shoot for Jan. 19th, but I can make either Sunday Jan. 19th or Jan. 26th work.

What do you all think?

Note: It'll be nice to meet some other MN vdub diesel fans!

Losha

Veteran Member
TDI
I could do January 11 or 19. By then I will have my own TB tools to make job easier. Done TB before without special tools, just makes the job harder.

Nalgene, I'm sure Brad (DeafBug) or I (Alex) one of us will come to help get your TB done.

Nalgene

Cool : ) thanks Alex.
So, you (Losha - Alex) and Brad (DeafBug) and I Nalgene (Charlie), are all up for it on Jan. 19th, any others in?

cochranecustoms

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 VW Beetle TDI
tb job gtg

Had nothing to do Mon. & Tues. so I jacked beetle up, took intercooler out & cleaned- also cleaned snow screen & fixed a broken part on intake box. Removed intake & cleaned, remove guards & noticed I needed a new crank seal. Getting ready to take timing belt off. Going to tear it down up until the point when I need the cam lock & fuel pump lock. Do I really need the crank seal puller/driver tool? Still havent recieved parts in the mail so I'm held up until that point. Will there be anyone who will have specialty tools in about a week? Willing to rent for the weekend- or week- just let me know. Losha I know we talked, but I was getting restless- still may need help so if anyone wants to come check out my place in Farmington I could get a case of beer (or whatever). My Garage is a two car single door- heated, ac, all the tools (accept specialty VW ones) and manual tire changer- no balancer, along with internet, and TV- for any football, etc. fans. I'd also be more than happy to watch that other car tb job getting done so I have a really good idea how to do it. Either way- Thanks!

Losha

Veteran Member
TDI
cochranecustoms said:
Had nothing to do Mon. & Tues. so I jacked beetle up, took intercooler out & cleaned- also cleaned snow screen & fixed a broken part on intake box. Removed intake & cleaned, remove guards & noticed I needed a new crank seal. Getting ready to take timing belt off. Going to tear it down up until the point when I need the cam lock & fuel pump lock. Do I really need the crank seal puller/driver tool? Still havent recieved parts in the mail so I'm held up until that point. Will there be anyone who will have specialty tools in about a week? Willing to rent for the weekend- or week- just let me know. Losha I know we talked, but I was getting restless- still may need help so if anyone wants to come check out my place in Farmington I could get a case of beer (or whatever). My Garage is a two car single door- heated, ac, all the tools (accept specialty VW ones) and manual tire changer- no balancer, along with internet, and TV- for any football, etc. fans. I'd also be more than happy to watch that other car tb job getting done so I have a really good idea how to do it. Either way- Thanks!
Yes you still will need special crankshaft seal tool to remove it. I haven't figure out yet, how to remove it without special tool. I'm still up for coming to MN this weekend, so I would be able to give a hand. I will let you know for sure if I'm coming or not on friday.

cochranecustoms

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 VW Beetle TDI
Losha, I know I wont have the parts this weekend, also I have to work. I think next weekend I will be doing this job. Thanks