MPG impressions on 2015 Golf so far

BadWolf

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SEL Premium DSG/ 2015 Golf S Three Pedal
If I did not drive on the weekends I am pretty sure I would have a 60 MPG tank. MFI reads 70-75 on my morning run (net downhill) 25 miles and 59-60 on the way home so for example even after this mornings deluge drive i am at 63.5 for the tank (so far). After the weekend putting around town it will fall into he high 50's. I think this car will do 60 or close to it on a 63 mph run

BadWolf

Veteran Member
TDI
Turn one... You drive a lot

TurnOne

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf SEL TDI 6MT
Turn one... You drive a lot
Agreed. Some weeks a lot some not so much. About 4000 in the first month. Those free oil changes will be nice.

I'm trying to match your mpg but don't have a good chance. You're doing fantastic.

Last edited:

Callipygian

TDI
'15 Golf TDI SEL manual
Im finally about a week or so from delivery, been waiting since august, and this thread has me psyched about being to head out on more long trips without feeling as badly. I'm currently driving a tuned wrx that drinks premium like an 8 cylinder. My last trip up to Jay Peak from CT ran me about $110 in gas. I'd like to think those days are over.
Even getting 45mpg in the tdi, the same trip at current diesel prices (same as premium) would run just under $55 ?!?!? What?? Incredible.

On the daily driving side I may be chiming in with some of the worst mileage recorded. My work commute is a short 7mi blast up over a mountain on windy backroads, includes 3 stop signs and a freaking fleet of school buses and elderly drivers that will literally stop at anything to hinder my joyful backroad romp. Lots of accelerating. Even if I take the long way its just 9mi.

The way I see it, no matter what I will be driving more efficiently, the awesome mpg the tdi gets will let me feel less wasteful of fuel even while I'm lead footing it.

Last edited:

T_D_I_geek

TDI
2015 Golf TDI S 6-speed
Im finally about a week or so from delivery, been waiting since august, and this thread has me psyched about being to head out on more long trips without feeling as badly. I'm currently driving a tuned wrx that drinks premium like an 8 cylinder. My last trip up to Jay Peak from CT ran me about $110 in gas. I'd like to think those days are over.
Even getting 45mpg in the tdi, the same trip at current diesel prices (same as premium) would run just under $55 ?!?!? What?? Incredible.

On the daily driving side I may be chiming in with some of the worst mileage recorded. My work commute is a short 7mi blast up over a mountain on windy backroads, includes 3 stop signs and a freaking fleet of school buses and elderly drivers that will literally stop at anything to hinder my joyful backroad romp. Lots of accelerating. Even if I take the long way its just 9mi.

The way I see it, no matter what I will be driving more efficiently, the awesome mpg the tdi gets will let me feel less wasteful of fuel even while I'm lead footing it.

Avon Mountain by any chance?

I work in Farmington, and commute from Pomfret. Great car, you're gonna love it!

Korab

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 golf TDI SEL 6MT w/ lighting and driver assistance package

I may challenge you worst mileage reported. I am a lead foot, cruise the highways at 80 mph + and generally drive it like I stole it. I still hope to get 40mpg+, which will be about 3x better than I am getting currently.

Callipygian

TDI
'15 Golf TDI SEL manual
Avon Mountain by any chance?

I work in Farmington, and commute from Pomfret. Great car, you're gonna love it!
Nope, I cut directly over West Hill in New Hartford. The long way being 44w to 183 or 8s.
This whole area is a haven of wonderful winding backroads with many changes in elevation.
The first time I made this commute to work I was thinking who built this roadcourse on public roads and what are those weird signs that say 25 on them?

Callipygian

TDI
'15 Golf TDI SEL manual
I may challenge you worst mileage reported. I am a lead foot, cruise the highways at 80 mph + and generally drive it like I stole it. I still hope to get 40mpg+, which will be about 3x better than I am getting currently.
Sounds like a challenge. Maybe ill start the first thread dedicated to worst mileage on the new platform. :screwy:

BadWolf

Veteran Member
TDI
Turn one....fuelly BOOM

TurnOne

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf SEL TDI 6MT
Turn one....fuelly BOOM
I was just about to update this.
Tried a lot harder this tank.

58.2 mpg over 617 miles.
One thing I have noticed is that after fiddling with the Ross-Tech cable and software, my last two fill ups have been much closer to the estimated. Not sure why? I make sure to fill all the way until I see fluid. I filled and let sit for two minutes then filled 3 more times to make sure it was full. I knew this would a great tank.

Last edited:

drew1202

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI
I was just about to update this.
Tried a lot harder this tank.

58.2 mpg over 617 miles.
One thing I have noticed is that after fiddling with the Ross-Tech cable and software, my last two fill ups have been much closer to the estimated. Not sure why? I make sure to fill all the way until I see fluid. I filled and let sit for two minutes then filled 3 more times to make sure it was full. I knew this would a great tank.
Isn't it bad to top off?? Thats what i've always read anyway.. When I track my tanks I just stop when the nozzle clicks off.

BadWolf

Veteran Member
TDI
I am thrilled, as best as I can tell you have not only the best whole tank yet but the only tank in the same range I have been getting.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
Isn't it bad to top off?? Thats what i've always read anyway.. When I track my tanks I just stop when the nozzle clicks off.
On a gasoline car, yes. The extra fuel can damage the evaporative emissions system. That system does not exist on a diesel, and it is fine to fill it all the way up.

TurnOne

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf SEL TDI 6MT
Fill it a the way up on diesel. The pop happens at different times depending on the flow rate of the nozzle. Some pumps are fast and some are slow. Plus diesel foams a lot compared to gasonline. Therefore you should wait after the pop and if you choose you can add more. I like to be able to see the fuel in the filler neck to know it's truly full.

TurnOne

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf SEL TDI 6MT
I am thrilled, as best as I can tell you have not only the best whole tank yet but the only tank in the same range I have been getting.

Just at 1/8 of a tank. Low fuel light hadn't come on. It had been tracking to go over 700 miles before empty all day but then I had to drive through OSU campus with damn kids everywhere :) Traffic light out and lots of cars. Then get my son and went to eat and then to drop him back off. Drove the 90 miles home from there fighting some rush hour traffic getting out of Columbus. I was sweating as I really wanted to get to your level of FE.

drew1202

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI
On a gasoline car, yes. The extra fuel can damage the evaporative emissions system. That system does not exist on a diesel, and it is fine to fill it all the way up.
THats great!! Im going to start filling up to the top now so I can get true mpg readings.

BadWolf

Veteran Member
TDI

Just at 1/8 of a tank. Low fuel light hadn't come on. It had been tracking to go over 700 miles before empty all day but then I had to drive through OSU campus with damn kids everywhere :) Traffic light out and lots of cars. Then get my son and went to eat and then to drop him back off. Drove the 90 miles home from there fighting some rush hour traffic getting out of Columbus. I was sweating as I really wanted to get to your level of FE.

Damn kids, freekin people and their gall taking up space in our world ?

617 before the low fuel light! My last tank was 607 when it went on and I fueled just about the same as you 615ish.

Are you in flat Ohio ? Or are you down in Cincy.

Callipygian

TDI
'15 Golf TDI SEL manual
When I pull up the manual for my VIN on knowyourvw.com the fuelling section specifically states to stop fuelling at the first pump stop to leave proper head space for fuel expansion during events such as temperature increases.
It doesn't make any clarification for gas vs diesel.
Despite using my vin to pull up this manual, there are references to all options and engines available.
Some discussion about it:
http://www.thedieselpageforums.com/tdpforum/showthread.php?t=33686
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=62886

TurnOne

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf SEL TDI 6MT
Damn kids, freekin people and their gall taking up space in our world ?
617 before the low fuel light! My last tank was 607 when it went on and I fueled just about the same as you 615ish.
Are you in flat Ohio ? Or are you down in Cincy.
I live just outside Cincinnati on the NE side. Routinely travel to Lexington and Louisville KY, Indianapolis IN and Columbus OH.

TurnOne

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf SEL TDI 6MT
When I pull up the manual for my VIN on knowyourvw.com the fuelling section specifically states to stop fuelling at the first pump stop to leave proper head space for fuel expansion during events such as temperature increases.
It doesn't make any clarification for gas vs diesel.
Despite using my vin to pull up this manual, there are references to all options and engines available.
Some discussion about it:
http://www.thedieselpageforums.com/tdpforum/showthread.php?t=33686
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=62886
Yes, the manual say don't do it.
It's obviously your choice as it's your car.
Manual states:
- The fuel tank is full when the automatic filler nozzle pump switches off the first time => See warning.
- Do not try and add fuel after the pump stops! Topping off the tank in this way may fill the expansion space that the tank needs and cause fuel to overflow, for example, if it gets warmer outside.
=> Warning: Spilled fuel can cause fires, explosions, burns, and other severe injuries.
- Always stop refueling once the pump nozzle switches off so that the tank does not overflow.
So let's discuss these.
First as mentioned, Diesel cars don't have a vapor recovery system to ruin. If you overflow your modern gasoline burner, it could overflow and saturate this system.
Second, the reason we don't have a vapor recovery system is due to the fact that diesel doesn't evaporate as fast as gasoline. This vaporizing can cause pressure inside the tank.
Third, no matter how hard you try, you are unlikely going to be able to fill the tank to 100% capacity. Therefore there will be some room for expansion if needed. Plus, the tank is not inflexible, it will expand a little if needed.
Fourth, Diesel foams a lot and will cause the pump nozzle to stop much sooner as compared to gas.
Fifth, if you can't determine when the nozzle stopped, you would need to use the same pump at the same flow rate to attempt to get the same reading every time. If you fill until you see the fuel in the filler neck, you don't need to be at the same pump and same pump speed to know you are full. There is still the pump accuracy to account for, but you get the idea.
Sixth, I don't have a fuel station at my house, therefore, I drive it after putting fuel in, thus consuming some fuel and creating room for expansion.
Seventh, one reason is to prevent spills, I am smart enough not to overflow the tank when filling, but it does require more effort and attention.
Eighth, diesel expands slightly less due to temperature as compared to gasoline.
For these reasons, I top it off.

andyrooski17

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI SE DSG
Not yet, I've been tracking my commutes the last couple weeks. Traffic tends to vary, so i'm thinking lower average speed will be like city driving (lots of accel/deccel and gear changes), and higher will be more like highway. I'm guessing there may be some direct relationship between avg speed to mpg, over some range of speeds, but then higher speeds will see a decrease.
Hopefully in a few more days i'll have enough data to plot, though, most likely is that any "signal" will be obscured by the "noise" of different weather conditions day to day. But it's fun to try.
Some early results from my single trip tracking. My commute can vary a lot traffic-wise and also route-wise, so I thought it would be a good test of using average speed as a proxy for city/highway percentage (which I find difficult to assign well for Fuelly). The working theory being that average speed would ultimately correlate well to MPG, at least over a certain range of speeds.

Here's what I have, MPG (indicated) vs. average speed, for a bunch of single trips. Even though it was only over 2-3 weeks, this covered rain, sun, cold, warm, windy, so there's certainly plenty of noise in the data.

So, perhaps not surprising that there is reasonable correlation here, but it's convinced me to also note my average speed on each tank in Fuelly, and to pay closer attention to that than to the arbitrarily chosen city/highway %. I'd suggest that other Fuelly users here might want to do the same.

Caseyb476

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf SE 6spd man
Some early results from my single trip tracking. My commute can vary a lot traffic-wise and also route-wise, so I thought it would be a good test of using average speed as a proxy for city/highway percentage (which I find difficult to assign well for Fuelly). The working theory being that average speed would ultimately correlate well to MPG, at least over a certain range of speeds.
Here's what I have, MPG (indicated) vs. average speed, for a bunch of single trips. Even though it was only over 2-3 weeks, this covered rain, sun, cold, warm, windy, so there's certainly plenty of noise in the data.

So, perhaps not surprising that there is reasonable correlation here, but it's convinced me to also note my average speed on each tank in Fuelly, and to pay closer attention to that than to the arbitrarily chosen city/highway %. I'd suggest that other Fuelly users here might want to do the same.
Andyrooski17 is a giant data geek. Need a job?! LOL

TurnOne

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf SEL TDI 6MT
Filled up again tonight and got 53.9 on Fuelly. 57.7 mpg on MFD. 648 miles 12.02 gallons. Drove 11 miles past 0 estimated miles to empty.
Seriously wish I knew why VW Engineers want 1.5 gallons in the tank, which is a substantial amount. Easily another 100 miles of range.
I took the picture after filling up before driving off, hence the 735 miles to empty.

Last edited:

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
Filled up again tonight and got 53.9 on Fuelly. 57.7 mpg on MFD. 648 miles 12.02 gallons. Drove 11 miles past 0 estimated miles to empty.

Seriously wish I knew why VW Engineers want 1.5 gallons in the tank, which is a substantial amount. Easily another 100 miles of range.

I took the picture after filling up before driving off, hence the 735 miles to empty.

http://i1145.photobucket.com/albums/o502/turnone/VW%20Golf%20TDI/1DF8D936-34C8-4544-B136-735CAB6ACF19.jpg
To cool the high pressure fuel pump and other fuel system components.

BadWolf

Veteran Member
TDI
You are crushing it! Too many errands for me last weekend. 430 in the book with 230 on the to-go meter. Your MFD reminds me though. I think the mileage estimates are more accurate at highway speeds