www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > Meetings/ GTG/ Regional Discussions > Past TDIFests > TDIFest 2009

TDIFest 2009 Discussion about TDIFest 2009 coming to Washington, DC (Dulles)on the Labour Day weekend (September 4-6th, 2009) .

Closed Thread

Old September 16th, 2009, 10:20   #106
VeeDubTDI
Good Ol' Boy
TDIClub Enthusiast

The issue here is not with the judges, but with the criteria that they are judging with. I don't understand exactly how Fred has the S&S laid out, but from the way it was explained to me, it seems like they are only judging based on condition and cleanliness... the shinier, the better. There is also the mileage category to make it fair for the older cars.

With the current arrangement, the 337/20th will get zero extra points for the very unique OEM+ mods that are done to it. If it's not gleaming, you're not winning.

It's always good to change things up from time to time. Perhaps it's time to consider some alternative scoring options. Kindly offer some suggestions on how you would score the Show & Shine if you were in charge of it. Fred will look at the suggestions, and may or may not implement some or all of them. It's his deal... and I'll leave it at that.
Old September 16th, 2009, 10:42   #107
Rob Mayercik
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lug_Nut
That was SunRG in post 51, but I'll take credit if it is adopted for next 'fest and is a big hit. If it's a flop, I had nothing to do with it.
Whoops - must have missed SunRG's post. (sorry 'bout that, Chief!)

As far as your rant, I hope I didn't come across as one of the "disgruntled exhibitors" - I was just tossing an observation of mine into the ring for discussion as a possible reason why more folks don't participate.
Old September 16th, 2009, 10:49   #108
VeeDubTDI
Good Ol' Boy
TDIClub Enthusiast

I think we had a good number of participants this year. You have to remember that a lot of people don't want to spend time polishing every square inch of their cars... also, quite a few people went into town to sightsee on Sunday. Overall, I think the S&S turnout was pretty good, when compared to previous years and keeping in mind that a lot of people wanted to go sightseeing.
Old September 16th, 2009, 10:59   #109
petea4
Veteran Member

TDI(s): '01 Golf GLS

Quote:
Originally Posted by kromicacid
That Graphite Blue MK5 was mine, and I am only 28 years old... All of my mods are 'factory' available,............

I have felt that all of my mods are tasteful and not rice-y. Please start about my car... i would like to hear...

Not yours, the other one. I'm sure everone saw the Jetta with the Chicken wire grill.
I think it's time to clear the air. I started posting my comments after people starting pointing fingers to the younger "vortex" guys, for the rice'd out cars. I stated what i saw, which shows those statements were FALSE! Examples stated(which i didn't want to do) show the opposite!

I don't care that i didn't get anything for showing. Car is looking its age with stone chips, and rust. Didn't expect anything. What bothered me was the lessons learned from last years fest, were not implemented into this years show. ex. Judge interaction with exhibitor.

Nobody knows where they stand within their class. They don't know where they can improve, where the issues were, as the judges didnt point out the problem areas, or the great points. Why walk around the car clipboard in hand, mute? I don't understand this.

Which explains this comment earlier:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Mayercik
Is it possible to request a copy of the scoring sheets on one's own vehicle? I'd like to see where I was lacking compared to the rest of my division. I'll likely never be able to compete with the guys sporting fancy rims/tires, lots of performance mods, and 5-clay-bar-a-week habits, but that didn't stop me from showing anyway this year or back in '06 (and, likely, won't stop me the next time I get to a 'Fest, whenever that happens to be).

The other thing I'd like to know for my own edification would be where I ranked overall in the class (6th out of 12, 15th out of 15, etc.). Even if it was, as I suspect, dead last or nearly so, I'd still like to know. Back channel, of course; I'm not THAT much of a glutton for punishment that I want to take my lumps in public.

One has to know what one's weaknesses are in order to maximize improvement for next time, you know.
Pete

Sorry, hit edit instead of quote. -Lawson
'01 Golf TDI GLS
'72 Super - '52 Split - '65 Bus 21w deluxe

Last edited by VeeDubTDI; September 16th, 2009 at 11:18.
Old September 16th, 2009, 11:22   #110
VeeDubTDI
Good Ol' Boy
TDIClub Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by petea4
I don't care that i didn't get anything for showing. Car is looking its age with stone chips, and rust. Didn't expect anything. What bothered me was the lessons learned from last years fest, were not implemented into this years show. ex. Judge interaction with exhibitor.

Nobody knows where they stand within their class. They don't know where they can improve, where the issues were, as the judges didnt point out the problem areas, or the great points. Why walk around the car clipboard in hand, mute? I don't understand this.
I agree with this 100%. Some judge interaction and post-S&S feedback would be really nice. That would allow people to make improvements based on this particular set of criteria.

Unfortunately, the S&S is run independently from the Fest, and the Fest planners have very little say in how it is operated. I tried, but didn't make it very far. Perhaps if more people express interest in having a particular portion of the S&S revamped, it will happen.
Old September 16th, 2009, 12:40   #111
GTDI4
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 53/?/48

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeeDubTDI
I think we had a good number of participants this year. You have to remember that a lot of people don't want to spend time polishing every square inch of their cars... also, quite a few people went into town to sightsee on Sunday. Overall, I think the S&S turnout was pretty good, when compared to previous years and keeping in mind that a lot of people wanted to go sightseeing.
Remember other shows a big part is how clean the car is. Some take as far as to check under mats and seats, cars jacked up with mirrors to show how clean the underside is. At those shows I see alot of cars trailer to the shows.
TDI club really want to go there?

Last edited by GTDI4; September 16th, 2009 at 12:52.
Old September 16th, 2009, 12:47   #112
GTDI4
Veteran Member

[quote=VeeDubTDI]The issue here is not with the judges, but with the criteria that they are judging with. I don't understand exactly how Fred has the S&S laid out, but from the way it was explained to me, it seems like they are only judging based on condition and cleanliness... the shinier, the better. There is also the mileage category to make it fair for the older carsWith the current arrangement, the 337/20th will get zero extra points for the very unique OEM+ mods that are done to it. If it's not gleaming, you're not winning.

Again any show if it is not gleaming your'e not winning.
Old September 16th, 2009, 14:35   #113
Lug_Nut
TDIClub Enthusiast
Pre-Forum Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 116 mpg(e), 36 mpg gas, 100 mpg combined

They are judges, not coaches.
This is a final exam, and you should have done your homework, not waited until you walked into the test site and asked the proctor for the answers.
You are competing against other exhibitors, ask THEM what they like or don't about your car. Don't trust the reply from the guy in your class? Ask someone from a different class. Ask a former judge if you know one.
DO NOT HASSLE THE JUDGES DURING JUDGING!

Score sheets are sometimes available for view after the awards, and I agree with that practice, but these score sheets are not subject to editing, or re-count, or do-over. The results are final.
There's next show to make improvement.

Svante Arrhenius 1896

Cogito ergo soy (I think, therefore: Biodiesel)
Old September 16th, 2009, 17:15   #114
petea4
Veteran Member

TDI(s): '01 Golf GLS

^^^^Didn’t realize this was the TDIclub’s version of Peble Beach.

I’ve been to shows in LA, Vegas, Florida, Indy, Atl, Mich, MD, Ontario, and Germany. Never before have I met mute judges. The aircooled world has it’s fair share of trailer queens too. If you ever get a chance to be in Cali during the month of June, check out THE CLASSIC. Unbelievable show.

So, I think we have come to the conclusion, the Mature/Older crowd brought the ricer mods to TDIFEST2009.

The younger vwvortexer's were A-OK........

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeeDubTDI
I agree with this 100%. Some judge interaction and post-S&S feedback would be really nice. That would allow people to make improvements based on this particular set of criteria.
Preach on Lawson!

This has turned into a lively thread.

Pete
'01 Golf TDI GLS
'72 Super - '52 Split - '65 Bus 21w deluxe

Last edited by petea4; September 16th, 2009 at 17:19.
Old September 16th, 2009, 17:39   #115
tomo366
TDI Lifer

ROTFLMFAO.............This is all just Silly!!
2015 Jetta TDI SEL Tornado red
2014 BMW 328D XDrive Glacier Silver
2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Black!
Old September 16th, 2009, 18:25   #116
Lug_Nut
TDIClub Enthusiast
Pre-Forum Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 116 mpg(e), 36 mpg gas, 100 mpg combined

At the judges briefings for the shows I've judged I've been told to remain impartial, to not comment on the cars I was judging so as to not appear to be impartial, to not touch the car, to not discuss the relative merit I put on any one car over another, to, as it was put, be mute. And no smirking, no tsk-tsk-ing, no facial or visual cues either to indicate opinion.
At some malt-shoppe impromptu gathering it might be fine for the judges to offer their opinion, but that was not permitted at the level of the shows I was asked to judge. No, not Pebble Beach level, but the entrants and the staff were taking just as seriously. Once I witnessed too seriously when a judge muttered, loud enough that I also heard, "Now that's just stupid" and the car's owner took offense and then took offensive action.
That comment that day went far beyond constructive criticism, but at what point does criticism become a "dope slap"? Easy enough to avoid that entirely with silent, emotionless judges.

And the judges, as well as entrants, always knew who trailered in, who trailered to within 5 miles to pretend that they drove, and who had the daily drivers that almost invariably won over the queens.

Svante Arrhenius 1896

Cogito ergo soy (I think, therefore: Biodiesel)

Last edited by Lug_Nut; September 16th, 2009 at 18:29.
Old September 17th, 2009, 06:39   #117
Hamsterdiesel
TDIClub Enthusiast
Veteran Member & HO5G CoFounder

Fuel Economy: 49/47.5 - 51 mpg once!

Quote:
Originally Posted by petea4
I guess you didn't notice the 4x4 stance with the funky tailights of the 1st place Golf, or the 2nd placed interior which was highlighted with pink neon tubes? ...

Pete
I'm sure you are familiar with the pitiful excuse for a trunk light that the Golf came with from the factory. So I added some lights so I could see into my trunk at night. They worked so well, I decided to have fun and added the second row which is colored instead of white. I hardly think that qualifies as 'riced'.

Now if I had the cold cathodes underneath the car for everyone to see, serving no purpose other than to draw attention to myself, well then that's rice...

...and just who are you calling mature?!
1965 Plymouth Barracuda - with the Leaning Tower of Power!

Last edited by Hamsterdiesel; September 17th, 2009 at 06:45.
Old September 17th, 2009, 06:40   #118
Hamsterdiesel
TDIClub Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTDI4
And you won't have to worry about me judging next year........I will be showing the winning A5 Jetta Sportwagen.
Tastefully modded of course
Yeah! Woo- hoo!
D'oh!
Old September 17th, 2009, 07:59   #119
GTDI4
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamsterdiesel
Yeah! Woo- hoo!
D'oh!
Tomo366 said it not I. Your age must be catching up you .
Old September 17th, 2009, 08:36   #120
Hamsterdiesel
TDIClub Enthusiast

Well, I think it's time for you to get another car... you've riced this one beyond repair...better start over...LOL...
Closed Thread