Injector Pump Problems

chopchop

Top Post Dawg
This must be the classic of classic threads in demonstrating Dealer incompetence. ....From a replacement pump at $3500.... to an inexpensive cutoff solenoid.....or maybe just a replacement O-ring for the existing solenoid!
And I'd hazard a guess that if that same dealer had replaced the pump, they'd never even have succeeded in setting it up or setting the timing correctly!

Karl Roenick

Top Post Dawg
That's your nephew? Cool! I've seen him many times, but not lately. I think we've been watching another station more, for whatever reason.

Rich, this body of knowledge with helpful people in the is one very cool thing about Fred's!

98JettaTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 Jetta
I have the car, it runs great now. Cost me $375 for solenoid, oil change, air filter change, refill battery, clean air intake, and drain water seperator.

I still need the timing belt changed, and I'm still looking for help finding a competent mechanic in northeast Ohio. Or someone with the tools to help me do it...

Thanks everyone

WOOCHOW

RIP, Gone But Not Forgotten
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS-GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN
I don't mean to rain on your parade, but $375 is awfully expensive for what was done. The solenoid, if I remember correctly is about $30, $50 for an oil change, $20 for an air filter, and an hour's labor at $60 is a more accurate price. Refill the battery? I would avoid that dealer in the future.

------------------

1998 Black Jetta TDi
Bilstein HD Struts/shocks
TDi Tuning Box

Drivbiwire

Zehntes Jahr der Veteran
TDI
2013 Passat TDI, Newmar Ventana 8.3L ISC 3945, 2016 E250 BT, 2000 Jetta TDI
If you want to make the trip I will be doing my belt next weekend.

I suggest changing the timing belt, and the fan belts at the same time. It seems to be that the tensioner is stout enough to last several timing belt changes and I don't see any real reason to change them on the first belt change.

Drop a email if you are interested in learning how to do a belt. Also we can get your timing adjusted properly.

If you want to take it to a local dealer I suggest calling FrankZ Imports in Dayton Ohio. They have a very good service department and charge reasonable prices. For an A3 I think you will be looking at $340 and that will include a new timing belt and tensioner, new serpentine belt and a new power steering belt. They will also set the timing to your specifications

DB

Peter Cheuk

Gasser :P
TDI
'06 Jetta GLI
Pete, are you sure about that? If that tensioner fails on you, say, 5000 miles after you replace the belt, the belt will fail and cause all kinds of damage to your engine. I figure that it is good insurance to replace it.