BSM replacement clues, can you tell from the outside?

DieselOx

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Sedan 5sp 342,000mi
I'm looking at the elusive '05 Passat Wagon TDI, trying to decide if I want to trade the headache of my Golf (growing kids, 2 large dogs, 12 year old plastic bits that keep breaking) for the headache of the laundry list of time-bombs on a 100 to 140k mile Passat Wagon, and 7 year old plastic bits to break.

Is it possible to know if the BSM has been repaired without documentation? I see the occasional Wagon with no history, which I'm about 98% unwilling to consider at all, but if I can get one cheap enough I might just have my mechanic proactively fix the main failure points in advance. I just need to know what to plan for, and the BSM is the only part I don't yet know how to diagnose.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
It is really tough, because sound is really the only clue, and even then some quiet(er) ones still can be chained.

MOGolf seems to think the dipstick fits different afterwards, I'm not so sure, but I have not really checked side by side either.

Chances are if someone is selling it, they will be telling the potential buyer about the stuff that was done.

I put stickers under the hood that one of my customers had made for me. I used to write on the oil pan "dechained" or "upgraded" just in case someone in the future saw it. Not sure how other shops are doing this.

I like to think I do a good enough job that you won't ever be able to tell by looking from the outside the bottom of the engine has ever been apart. Every screw, every bolt, every clip, is put back exactly as before, and I am prudent to use the proper amount and type of sealant on the front flange and oil pan as to make it look factory. :)

LRTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
RIP 16 GSW... Just the LR diesel now
I had the need something bigger than a golf but gave up when the new passat failed to get a wagon version.
In the end, opted to go with a subie outback....

DieselOx

Veteran Member
TDI
I used to have a Subaru, but 19 mpg made me choke. I sold it after a year and got the Golf. Now I'm in this dead zone of affordability: 2004 to 2007, the height of US indifference toward MPG's, and resulting total lack of reasonable options in a mid-size wagon. I think I'll start hunting for a Passat Wagon carcass to reassemble from the ground up, manual tranny, upgraded everything. My mechanic's also a used VW dealer, could put one together with a moderate warranty even.

Build your own seems like the only reasonable choice at this point.

05_passat_tdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Vw Passat
It is really tough, because sound is really the only clue, and even then some quiet(er) ones still can be chained.
MOGolf seems to think the dipstick fits different afterwards, I'm not so sure, but I have not really checked side by side either.
Chances are if someone is selling it, they will be telling the potential buyer about the stuff that was done.
I put stickers under the hood that one of my customers had made for me. I used to write on the oil pan "dechained" or "upgraded" just in case someone in the future saw it. Not sure how other shops are doing this.
I like to think I do a good enough job that you won't ever be able to tell by looking from the outside the bottom of the engine has ever been apart. Every screw, every bolt, every clip, is put back exactly as before, and I am prudent to use the proper amount and type of sealant on the front flange and oil pan as to make it look factory. :)
On the job you did for my Passat, you left the oil pan so clean it looked like new. Most mechanics wouldn't take the time to clean parts up so well. So, maybe if it has a clean oil pan Oilhammer may have already dechained it.

thundershorts

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 passat tdi sel premium 2015 golf s tdi gls tdi b5.5, 2002 eurovan,Peugeot 505 td,Citroen cx25 prestige
I would agree with Brian, that its really hard to tell with the dipstick. I used two sticks,after the conversion and for me it was inconclusive as to the feel. Also mine had a broken tensioner, hairline crack, and was making no chain noise at 70k. Assume that the bsm has not been done on any unit you look to buy as only a very small percentage of the total production for usa/canada have been converted. I sort of built my own car as you are contemplating, starting with changing out engine and trans.

vwztips

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat GLS Wagon TDI 5 spd manual w/BSM delete 2011 Tiguan TDI/DSG 2005 Audi A4 Avant 6MQ TDI 2011 BMW X5 35d

DieselOx

Veteran Member
TDI
Interesting, looks like you could feel with a bent wire for that lug, if it's 100% present on chain units.

tdireader

Veteran Member
TDI
TDI
I had mine done by oilhammer. It had a broken tensioner but the before and after noise difference wasn't that noticeable. Unless the car is marked or you are shown repair records, I would suggest adding the repair cost to any purchase price to get the "real" cost. I'm happy with the repair since my car still drives great and I don't need to throw money at another vehicle. Now, I just need time to get all the hotel parking lot dings fixed and I'll have a "new" car.

DickSilver

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 B5.5V, 1996 B4V
The other elephant in the room with any used 2004-05 TDI Passat is whether the 505,01 oil was used ALL the time. Otherwise, the condition of the camshaft is unpredictable....