bought an cheap TDi jetta, need help repairing

Randi

TDI
2000 Jetta 4
Hi all, I bought a Jetta 4 couple of months back but it have a few probs. First up it idles high and then drops down to normal intermittantly. What can the problem be?

CopaMundial

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Jetta Wagon 5sp (New to me Oct 2014) 03 Jetta 5sp (RIP Aug 2014)
Auto or manual transmission?

Does it do this only when idling, or also when driving in gear?
Also, do you have any check engine light constantly on? If no, does the check engine light at least cycle on when you first turn key to On position?

Last edited:

Randi

TDI
2000 Jetta 4
Hi the car does it everytime with startup, idling and wilst driving. It return to normal idling after a while, but then just start all over again. Its a manual 2000 model. I also found oil in the intercooler pipes connected to throttle. No warning light on exept airbag fault, and the enjine check light does go on if ignition is turned on. Thanx all

Powder Hound

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'00 Golf 4dr White 5sp, '02 Jettachero 5sp, Wife's '03 NB Platinum Gray auto(!)
What about smoke in the exhaust?

It could be that the injection pump is having problems, or the quantity adjuster in the pump (the part that controls the amount of fuel injected) is jittery or dirty. But really, this sounds like the kind of problem that can't really be diagnosed over the internet. Sorry. :(

Randi

TDI
2000 Jetta 4
Hi no excessive smoke, the boost properly, drive properly and the feul economy is good, can it be because the previous owner fitted new turbo?

jcrews

Top Post Dawg
TDI
All gone
Intermittent idle between 900-1200 rpm is caused by a bad temperature sensor. Scan for faults. The emission lamp may not be activated due to your country's standards.

Last edited: