www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > Meetings/ GTG/ Regional Discussions > Ontario

Ontario Local discussions for those in the Ontario, Canada area.

Old November 11th, 2012, 18:07   #1
ksa63
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 2003 Jetta 54 Miles per Imperial Gallon, 2005 Passat 40 Miles per Imperial Gallon
Default OBD Test to Replace Tail Pipe Emissions test in Ontario, Jan. 2013

I read this story in the wheels section of Torstar yesterday.
Act fast on drive clean loophole - you won't have it next year
It sounds like its possible that this new testing procedure may affect some of the modified vehicles out there, especially those with an EGR delete. What do you think?
2014 Touareg "Highline" TDI with R-Line Pkg. 115000km, 2014 Q5 "Technik" TDI 101000km, 2013 Golf SportWagon "Highline" Buyback Taken 161871km, 2003 Jetta Wagon (RIP) 499400km, and 2005 Passat Sedan (SOLD) 108000km.
ksa63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2012, 19:29   #2
Windex
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: ʎɯouoɔƎ lǝnℲ

I think most chipped ECU's will spoof the readiness issue and defeat the EGR CEL. I think it's a safe assumption that most tuners have experience with what will pass the OBD test.

Fortunately I can swap my non-OBDII ECU in if needed, but I think that they are only starting in 1998 anyway.

Easy enough to check if you are going to pass - do you have a CEL on? Yes - Get it taken care of. No - Good to go.

Proudly installing things where they're not supposed to go since 1996!
Windex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2012, 19:53   #3
JSWTDI09
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windex View Post
I think most chipped ECU's will spoof the readiness issue and defeat the EGR CEL. I think it's a safe assumption that most tuners have experience with what will pass the OBD test.
Unfortunately, this depends a bit on how smart the tester (or test procedure) is. Some tests first test readiness bits, then if they are good, they will clear faults (even if there are none), and then test readiness again. If the readiness bits still pass, they know that the tuner is spoofing the readiness bits, and you could fail. Therefore, it really depends on how smart the test (or tester) is. In other words, are they checking for a tune that tries to fool the test. A stock tune will not pass readiness after clearing faults until after a good drive. Only time will tell.

Have Fun!

Don
Old November 11th, 2012, 20:59   #4
GoFaster
Moderator at Large

^ A smart tuner ought to be able to figure out a way around that, too.
GoFaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2012, 21:20   #5
2ManyKMfor1Tank
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2000 Jetta

Gotta keep in mind this is the Ontario government we're talking about here.
2000 Jetta TDI - Ventectomy, Defender Skid Plate, Bilstein TC Comforts, Audi TT bushings, Newsouth Boost gauge, Recaro GLI's, Frost Heater, FK Depo headlights with HID's, PP502's, DG Racepipe, Malone Stage 3, ScanGauge II.
2ManyKMfor1Tank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2012, 21:54   #6
JSWTDI09
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoFaster View Post
^ A smart tuner ought to be able to figure out a way around that, too.
This is true. The question is: Have they done this? I do not know the answer to this question. You will have to ask your tuner.

Have Fun!

Don
Old November 12th, 2012, 04:09   #7
Windex
Veteran Member

I'm not sure which states, but there are jurisdictions using an OBDII test at emissions time (thinking new york or California) Methinks this is ground already covered. Remains to be seen if all of the existing tunes in Ontario have this taken into account though.

I suspect that email volumes to Mark Malone and Jeff at Rocketchip will go up over the coming weeks.

Old November 12th, 2012, 06:02   #8
LNXGUY
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWTDI09 View Post
Unfortunately, this depends a bit on how smart the tester (or test procedure) is. Some tests first test readiness bits, then if they are good, they will clear faults (even if there are none), and then test readiness again. If the readiness bits still pass, they know that the tuner is spoofing the readiness bits, and you could fail. Therefore, it really depends on how smart the test (or tester) is. In other words, are they checking for a tune that tries to fool the test. A stock tune will not pass readiness after clearing faults until after a good drive. Only time will tell.

Have Fun!

Don

I talked to the kid while getting my Jetta done last week.. He says they are pretty much going to look for a CEL and that's it.. I don't think anyone should be overly worried about it.
Old November 12th, 2012, 06:45   #9
ksa63
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 2003 Jetta 54 Miles per Imperial Gallon, 2005 Passat 40 Miles per Imperial Gallon

Quote:
Originally Posted by LNXGUY View Post
I talked to the kid while getting my Jetta done last week.. He says they are pretty much going to look for a CEL and that's it.. I don't think anyone should be overly worried about it.
From the article...

"Under the OBD protocol adopted by Environment Canada, the on-board computer continuously performs a series of self-tests (while driving) of the various emission control systems. If a problem is detected, the OBD computer turns on the “Check Engine” or “Service Engine Soon” warning light.

Your vehicle will fail Drive Clean if the Check Engine light is on.

Further, the new test checks the status of the self-tests, also known as monitors. If the monitor self-tests haven’t been successfully completed, a Drive Clean fail will ensue. Erasing the on-board computer memory with a scan tool or by disconnecting the battery will clear all the monitors and again yield an automatic Drive Clean failure."

And

"Vehicles with monitors that are “not ready” will fail the new test. However, 1998-2000 model-year vehicles are permitted two monitors to be “not ready,” and 2001 and newer models are allowed one monitor “not ready,” and still pass. Most cars have four to five monitors."

Sounds a little more sophisticated than a CEL test, I'm concerned as to how the EGR delete is handled in the tune, does it count as my "one allowed" monitor not ready failure? If so, I am ok for now but what if they eliminate the "one allowed" not ready?

It would be good to know in advance if there may be problems. In my case I will be contacting TDTuning to see if there are any concerns with the way his tunes might affect my Jetta's Results.
2014 Touareg "Highline" TDI with R-Line Pkg. 115000km, 2014 Q5 "Technik" TDI 101000km, 2013 Golf SportWagon "Highline" Buyback Taken 161871km, 2003 Jetta Wagon (RIP) 499400km, and 2005 Passat Sedan (SOLD) 108000km.
ksa63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2012, 08:29   #10
LNXGUY
Veteran Member

I guess we'll find out when someone goes and tries to get test with no emissions equipment on the car, lol! Luckily for me I'm good for another 2 years.

I still can't find anything that states the visual smoke test for LDV's currently will be changed to this...

Last edited by LNXGUY; November 12th, 2012 at 08:47.
LNXGUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2012, 16:39   #11
REDNECKDZL
Veteran Member

I'm not too worried, if your allowed 1-2 not ready monitors

Good thing the diesel beast got tested this past year

Maybe it will be a kit car when its due for its next test
Old November 12th, 2012, 17:01   #12
Muggins
Veteran Member

Well one thing is without doubt. Light duty diesels will now get as rigorously tested as gassers.

Tests centres must be just thrilled with the new emissions tests, because it makes there $100,000 plus dynomometers completely obsolete.
Muggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2012, 18:46   #13
mogly
Veteran Member

I'm having a brain cramp here. Can someone explain the monitors to me?
mogly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2012, 18:53   #14
Uberhare
Veteran Member

TDI(s): Too many.
Fuel Economy: Depends on what I'm towing!

Readiness codes are set by engine "monitors". Software routines that the ECU runs to verify the emission components are functioning properly. i.e. evap, cat, 02, egr, etc.
Old November 12th, 2012, 19:00   #15
Windex
Veteran Member

OBDII goes through several self checks to make sure that the systems are working (rather than waiting for a failure to set a code).

In gassers, the fuel tank needs to be able to capture any gasoline fumes and prevent them from getting to the atmosphere.

The ECU checks this by allowing a certain amount of vacuum or pressure into the fuel tank system, and then it monitors that pressure for a period of time. If the pressure drops, then the tank is not sealed properly (usually a bad gas cap), and it puts on a check engine light.

If you reset all the codes in the ECU, that status monitor for the Fuel system self-check resets to "not ready" because the test result has been reset, and the test has not yet run again (needs to be driven). Until the car is driven long enough, and the test is run again, the monitor will stay "not ready".

This prevents people with recurring issues from resetting all codes, and then driving to the test center, as the monitors for those tests will all read that not ready because the self checks have not run again.