OBD Test to Replace Tail Pipe Emissions test in Ontario, Jan. 2013

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
I think most chipped ECU's will spoof the readiness issue and defeat the EGR CEL. I think it's a safe assumption that most tuners have experience with what will pass the OBD test.

Fortunately I can swap my non-OBDII ECU in if needed, but I think that they are only starting in 1998 anyway. :D

Easy enough to check if you are going to pass - do you have a CEL on? Yes - Get it taken care of. No - Good to go.

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
I think most chipped ECU's will spoof the readiness issue and defeat the EGR CEL. I think it's a safe assumption that most tuners have experience with what will pass the OBD test.
Unfortunately, this depends a bit on how smart the tester (or test procedure) is. Some tests first test readiness bits, then if they are good, they will clear faults (even if there are none), and then test readiness again. If the readiness bits still pass, they know that the tuner is spoofing the readiness bits, and you could fail. Therefore, it really depends on how smart the test (or tester) is. In other words, are they checking for a tune that tries to fool the test. A stock tune will not pass readiness after clearing faults until after a good drive. Only time will tell.

Have Fun!

Don

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
I'm not sure which states, but there are jurisdictions using an OBDII test at emissions time (thinking new york or California) Methinks this is ground already covered. Remains to be seen if all of the existing tunes in Ontario have this taken into account though.

I suspect that email volumes to Mark Malone and Jeff at Rocketchip will go up over the coming weeks.

LNXGUY

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'05 Jetta TDI Wagon
Unfortunately, this depends a bit on how smart the tester (or test procedure) is. Some tests first test readiness bits, then if they are good, they will clear faults (even if there are none), and then test readiness again. If the readiness bits still pass, they know that the tuner is spoofing the readiness bits, and you could fail. Therefore, it really depends on how smart the test (or tester) is. In other words, are they checking for a tune that tries to fool the test. A stock tune will not pass readiness after clearing faults until after a good drive. Only time will tell.

Have Fun!

Don

I talked to the kid while getting my Jetta done last week.. He says they are pretty much going to look for a CEL and that's it.. I don't think anyone should be overly worried about it.

ksa63

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Q5 "Technik" TDI
I talked to the kid while getting my Jetta done last week.. He says they are pretty much going to look for a CEL and that's it.. I don't think anyone should be overly worried about it.
From the article...

"Under the OBD protocol adopted by Environment Canada, the on-board computer continuously performs a series of self-tests (while driving) of the various emission control systems. If a problem is detected, the OBD computer turns on the “Check Engine” or “Service Engine Soon” warning light.

Your vehicle will fail Drive Clean if the Check Engine light is on.

Further, the new test checks the status of the self-tests, also known as monitors. If the monitor self-tests haven’t been successfully completed, a Drive Clean fail will ensue. Erasing the on-board computer memory with a scan tool or by disconnecting the battery will clear all the monitors and again yield an automatic Drive Clean failure."

And

"Vehicles with monitors that are “not ready” will fail the new test. However, 1998-2000 model-year vehicles are permitted two monitors to be “not ready,” and 2001 and newer models are allowed one monitor “not ready,” and still pass. Most cars have four to five monitors."

Sounds a little more sophisticated than a CEL test, I'm concerned as to how the EGR delete is handled in the tune, does it count as my "one allowed" monitor not ready failure? If so, I am ok for now but what if they eliminate the "one allowed" not ready?

It would be good to know in advance if there may be problems. In my case I will be contacting TDTuning to see if there are any concerns with the way his tunes might affect my Jetta's Results.

LNXGUY

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'05 Jetta TDI Wagon
I guess we'll find out when someone goes and tries to get test with no emissions equipment on the car, lol! Luckily for me I'm good for another 2 years.

I still can't find anything that states the visual smoke test for LDV's currently will be changed to this...

Last edited:

REDNECKDZL

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta, 2015 Jetta, 1984 Wabbit TD, 1986 RX7 waiting on AHU swap
I'm not too worried, if your allowed 1-2 not ready monitors

Good thing the diesel beast got tested this past year

Maybe it will be a kit car when its due for its next test

Muggins

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Golf GL 4dr 5spd
Well one thing is without doubt. Light duty diesels will now get as rigorously tested as gassers.

Tests centres must be just thrilled with the new emissions tests, because it makes there $100,000 plus dynomometers completely obsolete.

Uberhare

Veteran Member
TDI
Too many.
Readiness codes are set by engine "monitors". Software routines that the ECU runs to verify the emission components are functioning properly. i.e. evap, cat, 02, egr, etc.

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
OBDII goes through several self checks to make sure that the systems are working (rather than waiting for a failure to set a code).

In gassers, the fuel tank needs to be able to capture any gasoline fumes and prevent them from getting to the atmosphere.

The ECU checks this by allowing a certain amount of vacuum or pressure into the fuel tank system, and then it monitors that pressure for a period of time. If the pressure drops, then the tank is not sealed properly (usually a bad gas cap), and it puts on a check engine light.

If you reset all the codes in the ECU, that status monitor for the Fuel system self-check resets to "not ready" because the test result has been reset, and the test has not yet run again (needs to be driven). Until the car is driven long enough, and the test is run again, the monitor will stay "not ready".

This prevents people with recurring issues from resetting all codes, and then driving to the test center, as the monitors for those tests will all read that not ready because the self checks have not run again.

clacker

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf Wagon TDI DSG Trendline, 2000 Jetta TDI auto, 2008 Mercedes R320, 2006 smart fortwo cdi
Pre 2007 diesels HAVE NOTHING TO WORRY ABOUT, only new diesels will be plugged in (2007 and newer) as the older models really don't have much to monitor and will still be subject to the smoke test. I have confirmed this reading official letters to etest facilities. Anyways, just hooking your egr valve up for a couple days is not the end of the world is it? If its gone, then claim modified.
I hate the new ruling, will they care about rusted out cars as before without them going on their expensive dyno? Will they care about noisy exhausts anymore? Just spend time in Quebec to see the difference our etest program made, it is very obvious! Every 2nd car has major exhaust leaks there, still rust outs everywhere, the driveclean really did clean up our fleet in Ontario no matter what you might think of it.
I hate etests only for one reason, I have to go out of my way to get tested, make appointments (small town) and only a couple of test facilities within half an hour with dumb dumb mechanics (meaning NO european experience) so a fail results in dumb stares and no diagnostic skills worth investing in nor the scan tools or related tools to adjust or fix the car-OBD2 is not a universal thing yet despite what you might think (own a smart diesel and you would understand).

streeker02

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf TDI
Pre 2007 diesels HAVE NOTHING TO WORRY ABOUT, only new diesels will be plugged in (2007 and newer) as the older models really don't have much to monitor and will still be subject to the smoke test. I have confirmed this reading official letters to etest facilities. Anyways, just hooking your egr valve up for a couple days is not the end of the world is it? If its gone, then claim modified.
I hate the new ruling, will they care about rusted out cars as before without them going on their expensive dyno? Will they care about noisy exhausts anymore? Just spend time in Quebec to see the difference our etest program made, it is very obvious! Every 2nd car has major exhaust leaks there, still rust outs everywhere, the driveclean really did clean up our fleet in Ontario no matter what you might think of it.
I hate etests only for one reason, I have to go out of my way to get tested, make appointments (small town) and only a couple of test facilities within half an hour with dumb dumb mechanics (meaning NO european experience) so a fail results in dumb stares and no diagnostic skills worth investing in nor the scan tools or related tools to adjust or fix the car-OBD2 is not a universal thing yet despite what you might think (own a smart diesel and you would understand).
Your post is full of misinformation.

This has been a long time coming, and I gave a heads up in October in a related thread

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?p=3977151#post3977151

There is NO MORE DYNO for OBDII equipped vehicles. There is no tailpipe analysis for gassers. The new test protocol checks OBD readiness and requires that no more than 2 monitors report "not ready".

Light duty diesel vehicles that are OBDII equipped (pretty much 1998 and up) will be subject to the new test protocol.

any car with a MIL on will automatically fail.

What I am telling you is factual, not opinion based....I've been using the new drive clean machine for more than a month already.

LNXGUY

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'05 Jetta TDI Wagon
You guys can test the 'Readiness' with the full Torque app on your Android phone along with a $15 Ebay OBD BT dongle.

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
It's still a charade. Statistically Driveclean/Protectair/MOE all know whch cars statistically have high pass rates and don't need to be tested - they also know which ones need to be tested more often.

Yet we still test everything.

Money grab under the guise of enviro-political-correctness.

Don't get me wrong, a program needs to be in place to catch the gross polluters - goodness knows there are enough clunkers out there. But they have the data to target only those that need to be targeted.

kei78

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf GLS TDI
I dont have to renew until this coming April but because of this thread i did my emissions test today... i was in and out in less then 10 minutes.

I am set for another 2 more years...

Toronto_Vento

Top Post Dawg
TDI
01 Baltic Green Bora
So is the goal to minimize tuning in general (gas and diesels)? I guess most tuners have figured something out to bypass this.

On the plus side, with there no longer being a need to have the expensive dynomometer, I wonder if we'll see more shops becoming drive clean facilities, meaning fewer lineups??