Motor Mounts

tleader

Veteran Member
TDI
None
I've looked around a bit and could not find any info on the Black Forest Industries motor mounts. I believe it is time to change out the mounts on my 98 A3 Jetta, but would like a slight upgrade form stock. My car is pretty much a daily driver and I make quite a few long trips thoughout the month.

I looked up the mounts on BFI, but it does not show an application specifically for a TDI. I've written them and I am waiting for a reply. Would there be any reason not to upgrade the mounts to a slighly stiffer/better composition other than the OEM rubber mounts? The BFI are cheaper and would seem to outlast the OEM, from the description and physical make-up. Do the TDIs require specific mounts compared to the gassers, due to weight or engine vibration?

Has anyone had any experience with BFI mounts and if so, what was your impression? Any help or advice on motor mounts would be appreciated.

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
No TDIs Currently, I have an R36 Corrado. I've had an ALH Corrado swap, AHU Corrado swap and 2003 TDI Jetta
no experiance with BFI mounts in a TDI but my 1st tdi corrado had poly mount in it the 1st time I fired it up. The 2nd time it was fired up I had new stock mounts becaus the car almost vibrated off the jackstands on the first run.

My experiance would say that they will force you pull off the road more often as they will rattle the pee out of your kidneys.

uverli

TDI
golf mk3 tdi syncro
To mount silentblocks mas rigid in a tdi is inconvinient for the vibrations if badly not understood his message,And it's bad for the screws and more parts the vibrations are strong

Last edited:

tleader

Veteran Member
TDI
None
I only wanted the slight upgrade they provide which are just a bit stiffer than OEM. But from what I've read so far and from looking around, OEM mounts and the Passast hydraulic transmission mount looks like the way to go. It should hopefully keep the vibrations down to a minimum.

Unless anyone else has any insight?

twentyeight

Veteran Member
TDI
1Z & ALH
If the A3 mounts are the same as the B4 ones (and I'd assume they are) you could try filling the little holes in with polyurethane or something. At least that way you can sort of tune for comfort…