Grinding Noise and Timing Belt change

vw2fan

TDI
passat
Folks,

I recently got the timing belt, water pump, tensioner and roller changed on my b4 variant (114,000 miles). I have been driving the car without any problems for a week after the change.

Today, suddenly, my steering wheel started making a grinding sound when turning in either direction. It also became harder to turn the wheel at the same time.

Can it be related to the timing belt etc. replacements undertaken by my mechanic?

Would appreciate your respone.

Thx.

P

paramedick

TDIClub Enthusiast, Vendor
TDI
2015 Audi Q5 TDI
Yes, it could be.

Immediately look under the car at the belt that drives the power steering pump. Check the tension on the belt. Check the pulley on the ps pump to see if it is straight. If it was overtightened (very common), the pump could have been damaged.

jasonTDI

TDI GURU Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
20' RAM 3500 CCLB dually HO/Aisan. 2019 Cherokee 2.0T
That and the snow/rain/ice getting on it will be an issue.

vw2fan

TDI
passat
My problem update: please help

Thanks for the replies.

My mechanic was not available today therefore I took to my car to another mechanic, hoping that it would be a power steeling belt tensioner issue as suggested.

I was told that my car had (a) a fuel leak from the fuel filter area and (b) a power steering fluid leak also. He said that he needed to clean the engine area to be fully able to identify source of the leaks.

With the car parked, I can see the parking area stained with the diesel leak.

I am planning to take the car back to my original mechanic on Wednesday.

Could these problems be related to the timing belt, tensioner, roller, water pump (FPGroto) and crank shaft pully (Autohaaz) changes undertaken a week ago?

Appreciate your help and Merry Christmas.

Powder Hound

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'00 Golf 4dr White 5sp, '02 Jettachero 5sp, Wife's '03 NB Platinum Gray auto(!)
If the PS pump got whanged as well as the leaky fuel line, could be just that something got whacked during the TB r&r. I know that I have caused more gashes on my knuckles than a good computer can count while doing mechanical work. While I am not a professional (that is one reason why) I can't believe that there is no such thing as a mechanic that can cause collateral damage during an operation.

In other words, unintended damage may have been caused by your wrench. How to prove it. Probably not possible. If the PS pump pulley or shaft got bent, then bent back, it is easy to figure that the out of tolerance condition would lead to the quick demise of the pump.

I don't know if any other changes may have done the same thing.