new world record for fuel economy?? ***?

FlashTDI

TDI
2001 Golf TDI 4-dr 5-sp
I ran across this article searching around the net for diesel related articles. Actually, it's not about economy, just how far can you go on a single tank. What they are saying is that a Euro-spec Chrysler Voyager fitted with a Daimler diesel engine drove for 1724 km on a single tank of fuel. Unless I am converting that wrong, that's only 1071 miles. And they're calling it a world record! I have read that some of you Passat wagon owners can go 1300+ miles. Am I missing something here? If so, someone please explain it to me.

PackRat

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 A3 Jetta TDI
Originally posted by abb:
I ran across this article searching around the net for diesel related articles. Actually, it's not about economy, just how far can you go on a single tank. What they are saying is that a Euro-spec Chrysler Voyager fitted with a Daimler diesel engine drove for 1724 km on a single tank of fuel. Unless I am converting that wrong, that's only 1071 miles. And they're calling it a world record! I have read that some of you Passat wagon owners can go 1300+ miles. Am I missing something here? If so, someone please explain it to me.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">To be a world record, it has to be verified.

jck66

Top Post Dawg
TDI
12 Passat SE / 14 BMW 535d
From the article:
A Chrysler Voyager SE, fitted with an all-new 2.5-litre common rail turbo diesel (CRD) engine, set a new world record for fuel economy, travelling 1724 kilometres on a single tank of diesel fuel. The same Voyager then followed this achievement by establishing 22 time and distance records for a diesel-powered MPV, covering a distance of 4284 km in 24 hours. All of the records are subject to confirmation.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">It may be a record for a minivan only?

PS Which country is .za? South Africa?

msauve

Veteran Member
The article was obviously written by a DaimlerChrysler marketing hack.

Most miles on a tank of gas can not be considered "fuel economy," which is measured in mpg or l/100km.

In one paragraph they talk about how the gas tank was sealed, and in the next there's a claim that they weren't trying to set a record - yea right.

I'd call a Passat wagon a multi purpose vehicle. Someone should make a verifiable, documented run.

96Wagon

Veteran Member
TDI
96 Passat, 06 Golf
How far did these guys go on one tank of fuel?
cross country jetta
I know I have posted this before, but what the heck.

In light traffic, at 6:23 a.m. on Thursday, October 30, we shudder into the Red Ball Garage, exactly 2916.9 miles from the portico of the Mark Hopkins Hotel. Wilfredo Send Free Stickers Bat-lamundi is not present to greet us.
We have been motoring for 39 hours and 46 minutes, at an average of 73.35 mph. The Jetta has sipped only one gallon of fuel for every 43 miles. Incredibly, the stock tank is still full.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">

[ September 11, 2002, 07:01: Message edited by: 96Wagon ]