ALH Oil filter housing on 1Z

96passat1z

TDI
96 Passat wagon 5sp (has a new home now), 02 Jetta auto (WVO), 01 Jetta auto (Dad's car)
I picked up a '96 Passat wagon 2-1/2 years ago for $500 due to a limp mode misdiagnosed as a turbo failure at 214K miles. I've put almost 50K on it since then. It has a weak cylinder and misfires until it warms up a bit and is hard to start in cold weather. I don't have the time, money, or space to pull it and tear it down right now, so I plan to install a tank-type engine heater similar to a FrostHeater. Unfortunately, although there is plenty of space under the hood, VW has seen fit to fill all that usable space by putting everything from hoses to reservoirs along the bottom of the engine where I need to put the heater. To free up some space, I would like to get rid of the 1Z's coffee can spin-on oil filter and replace it with the ALH canister housing if possible. Does anyone know if the ALH filter housing will bolt up to a 1Z block?

john.jackson9213

Top Post Dawg
TDI
1996 B4V
I picked up a '96 Passat wagon 2-1/2 years ago for $500 due to a limp mode misdiagnosed as a turbo failure at 214K miles. I've put almost 50K on it since then. It has a weak cylinder and misfires until it warms up a bit and is hard to start in cold weather. I don't have the time, money, or space to pull it and tear it down right now, so I plan to install a tank-type engine heater similar to a FrostHeater. Unfortunately, although there is plenty of space under the hood, VW has seen fit to fill all that usable space by putting everything from hoses to reservoirs along the bottom of the engine where I need to put the heater. To free up some space, I would like to get rid of the 1Z's coffee can spin-on oil filter and replace it with the ALH canister housing if possible. Does anyone know if the ALH filter housing will bolt up to a 1Z block?
You need to get rid of that crappy POS!!! Call me immediately! I will refund your purchase price and tow that junk out of your life to Sunny California, where cold starts will never be a problem. Surely you owe that car a kindly retirement?

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
Why not just install a standard block heater on the back of the block? The 1Z/AHU blocks have frost plugs to allow this where the ALH does not.

My block heater works quite well and takes up no additional room in the engine bay.

96passat1z

TDI
96 Passat wagon 5sp (has a new home now), 02 Jetta auto (WVO), 01 Jetta auto (Dad's car)
Why not just install a standard block heater on the back of the block? The 1Z/AHU blocks have frost plugs to allow this where the ALH does not.

My block heater works quite well and takes up no additional room in the engine bay.
Where is your heater located? I have yet to see a casting plug on my engine block.

96passat1z

TDI
You need to get rid of that crappy POS!!! Call me immediately! I will refund your purchase price and tow that junk out of your life to Sunny California, where cold starts will never be a problem. Surely you owe that car a kindly retirement?
That's what the used car broker who buys cars from the dealership where I work said to me shortly after I bought it. He said, "You'll NEVER get rid of that thing, will you?"

96passat1z

TDI
On the back of the block. Generic AHU/1Z block:

My block heater is in the leftmost (closest to the transmission) hole.
Must be well covered by the intake, exhaust, and turbo. Relocating the OF and using my tank heater will be an easier install, methinks.

96passat1z

TDI
That is not what the back of an AHU/1Z block looks like...there isn't enough rust.
Then again, if one of those plugs rusts through, putting a heater back there would be the best option:rolleyes:

96passat1z

TDI
So, considering my options, any recommendations on where to buy a remote filter kit and/or a casting hole heater? Do I have to buy the heater based on the size of the casting hole, or is there a model-specific one available? I haven't been able to locate a casting plug heater based on the car. Also, I don't have a source for a VW-specific OF adapter.

96passat1z

TDI
Why not just get a frost heater specific for the B4? www.frostheater.com
Cost is a consideration. I picked up this heater for ~$50. I can fit it right against the OF, but would rather have more clearance for oil changes. Plus, I would rather reposition the OF to make oil changes easier anyway.

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'96 B4V, '97 B4 (sold), '97 Jetta (scrapped)
On the back of the block. Generic AHU/1Z block:

Any idea what that thread size is, for the oil return?

That is not what the back of an AHU/1Z block looks like...there isn't enough rust.

Mine looks like that, too. It's protected by a film of CV grease.

Cost is a consideration. I picked up this heater for ~$50.

Which heater did you get? The cylindrical tank heaters are hard to fit. I have 2 and will likely use them on an old Rabbit. I just bought a 1500w Zerostart so it should make life slightly easier.

Before the last purchase, I also bought a couple block heaters. Installation would be tough without removing quite a bit...

The Frostheater kit makes life a lot easier, but obviously you pay for the convenience. The parts are easily sourced.

-Todd

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
No TDIs Currently, I have an R36 Corrado. I've had an ALH Corrado swap, AHU Corrado swap and 2003 TDI Jetta
Last edited:

96passat1z

TDI
Any idea what that thread size is, for the oil return?
Mine looks like that, too. It's protected by a film of CV grease.
Which heater did you get? The cylindrical tank heaters are hard to fit. I have 2 and will likely use them on an old Rabbit. I just bought a 1500w Zerostart so it should make life slightly easier.
Before the last purchase, I also bought a couple block heaters. Installation would be tough without removing quite a bit...
The Frostheater kit makes life a lot easier, but obviously you pay for the convenience. The parts are easily sourced.
-Todd
It's a Kat's Five Star, 1500W. It's a smaller diameter than the Zerostart, but taller.

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I also have those. You found a place to fit that?

-Todd

96passat1z

TDI
I also have those. You found a place to fit that?

-Todd
That's what I'm working on right now. Hence, the discussion about relocating the oil filter. I thought if I could but an ALH filter housing in the 1Z, I could hang the heater on the housing without it being in the way during oil changes.

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Maybe returning the Kat's and getting a Zerostart would be an easier solution. This is what I'm looking to do. The way my Kat's 13150 hangs down was my issue.

The Zerostart 330-8003 has a very small footprint and should be able to be mounted where the Frost heater mounts. There's a check valve in it, but it's easily removed.

-Todd

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
No TDIs Currently, I have an R36 Corrado. I've had an ALH Corrado swap, AHU Corrado swap and 2003 TDI Jetta
What size adapter do you buy?
From my order confirmation:
Product ID: BK295-EA
Product Name: Spin On Adapter*
Attributes (if any):
Price: $56.25
Quantity: 1

VWannabe

Veteran Member
G60ING, if you were just going to do a single filter setup, just a remote location, what filter mount would you go with? Also, could you post the fittings you used? That setup looks almost factory and is actually better than factory due to additional filtering.

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I have no idea on the filter mount, I spent a lot of time figuring out which dual filter mount I would go with. As for the fittings It looks like I lost my jegs email with all of the part numbers. I did do a follow up order and here are a couple of the pieces that I had to get on the follow up:
http://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS+Performance+Products/555/110022/10002/-1
http://www.jegs.com/i/Russell/799/629140/10002/-1
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/rus-614807
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-220886b

I was in a time crunch so I ordered from both places to get the in-stock parts that I wanted.

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI