Limited Slip Differential in DSG

Macradiators.com

Veteran Member
TDI
2.0 CR 360hp
If you decided to go big turbo you need a DSG tune with 17-18 bar clutch pressure. At 600+ nm usually the DQ250 internals fail. Need a good DSG tune and limited torque from engine.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
Good to know. I don't think anyone on this side of the pond is putting 440+ ft-lbs through the tdi dq250 dsg yet. I'm sure quite a few gti guys are.

travis45

Veteran Member
TDI
14 Sportwagen, 96 Passat TDI Sedan
Just got the Wavetrac Friday...

Mac, I do have a Malone DSG tune. Will be a few weeks before pulling the DSG and installing.

New clutch discs are pretty expensive! Besides tune, what else should be done? Was considering a new DMF while I had it apart.

Respectfully,
Travis

Macradiators.com

Veteran Member
TDI
2.0 CR 360hp
I doubt you have increased clutch pressure to hold 550-600nm on that DSG. Not sure who offers that in US. Here in Europe they ask 7-1000 euro for a dsg remap..crazy prices.

travis45

Veteran Member
TDI
Malone will take care of me when the time comes. They can do custom DSG tuning and up the clamping pressure more if needeed.

xjay1337

Veteran Member
TDI
Scirocco CR170.
I doubt you have increased clutch pressure to hold 550-600nm on that DSG. Not sure who offers that in US. Here in Europe they ask 7-1000 euro for a dsg remap..crazy prices.
Do they? It's around £150-£200 most places when bought with an appropriate ecu tune.

Romania must be very expensive!

Macradiators.com

Veteran Member
TDI
2.0 CR 360hp
JAmie ..the do the usual sh|t tune ..no clutch pressure. Not many do it well.
I have seen TVS dsg tuning on mk5 gti doing 9.5 seconds. Nothing tops that!
Adrenalin tuning also has some strong DSG tuning.
They asked me 800 euro for DQ500 tuning ..must be crazy in NL and Germany. and 2k for a wavetrack lsd.

Last edited:

xjay1337

Veteran Member
TDI
Scirocco CR170.
In the UK we have DSG tunes at R-tech for £150 for example..Revo are also similar.
They are running 12-13 bar in some rare cases. Not often needed.

Sure APR charge £500.

Or fit the Dodson / SSP / APR packs and run at a lower pressure. :)

Macradiators.com

Veteran Member
TDI
2.0 CR 360hp
Jamie Those are the worthless cheap tunes.
Real dsg tuning is way more expensive, and you can see the difference. Its huge.

travis45

Veteran Member
TDI
url=http://pics.tdiclub.com/showphoto.php?photo=126310&title=its-huuuge&cat=500]
[/url]

Macradiators.com

Veteran Member
TDI
2.0 CR 360hp
Keep dreaming at 10.5 s all day long without clutch pressure and reinforced dsg plates.
1450kg car ...you need 600hp or more to do that time
Now enlighten us how a clutch that a 500nm when it gets hot is already slipping like crazy ..temperature goes to 120-130degrees inside in seconds, can do that.

APR 450-500 euro dsg tune , useless.. vs 17-18 bar tune
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ifS7wnws10

But if you tell me that with 200€ in uk you can get a dsg tune with increased clutch pressure, i should move to uk.

I would be happy to pay 450€ for a dsg tune with increased clutch pressure for my DQ500. Just tell me where! (this is the point when Ruben says he'll do it hahahah)

Last edited:

xjay1337

Veteran Member
TDI
Scirocco CR170.
Let's just agree to disagree Mac.
Justin is a friend of mine, he runs Dodson clutchpacks at stock pressure. increased was awful gear changes.

As I said the best solution is to fit a suitable clutch to your car

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
Keep dreaming at 10.5 s all day long without clutch pressure and reinforced dsg plates.
1450kg car ...you need 600hp or more to do that time
Now enlighten us how a clutch that a 500nm when it gets hot is already slipping like crazy ..temperature goes to 120-130degrees inside in seconds, can do that.

APR 450-500 euro dsg tune , useless.. vs 17-18 bar tune
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ifS7wnws10

But if you tell me that with 200€ in uk you can get a dsg tune with increased clutch pressure, i should move to uk.

I would be happy to pay 450€ for a dsg tune with increased clutch pressure for my DQ500. Just tell me where! (this is the point when Ruben says he'll do it hahahah)

BTW that S3 he quoted is AWD, no need to have 600Hp if you got crazy good 60ft times.

Macradiators.com

Veteran Member
TDI
2.0 CR 360hp
Well thank you ..he runs dodson clutch :p , we were talking stock clutch and no pressure ,not 1500 euro stuff.
You do need over 550 even if awd because its always 1450kg, then we dont use sticky tracks here ..old dusty airport track.
418hp 750 nm awd A3 2.0 PD did 12s, has same weight as the S3
500hp 1000kg 2.0pd awd lupo does 10.6 , so you do need some horses for heavy cars.
1000hp gtr does 10s ..

mech644

Veteran Member
TDI
'00 Golf, '14 Touareg
Travis, looking forward to how this works for you, hopefully the thread can get refocused on that.
Pay no mind to the children in the sandbox arguing about whose thing is better then the others, pointless rubbish.

travis45

Veteran Member
TDI
I'm happy to see the spirited discussion. There are nuggets of info in there. Looking like it may be several weeks before I can get the LSD installed. Waiting on when my work vehicle comes.

DasTeknoViking

Veteran Member
TDI
B4 TDi, A4 R32
So did you get the LSD done? I have a big turbo 2.0 TSi DSG SportWagen with everything under the sun and it has traction issues in 1st 3 gears. Contemplating Awd swap as it is similar price.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

travis45

Veteran Member
TDI
I did get the wavetrac installed. Unfortunately the transmission shop didn’t seal the case properly and I had to pull the DSG again to have them reseal it.

It works great and there is no more one wheel peel. It significantly helped my auto x times and is super fun to mash the throttle near the apex of the turn instead of after the wheel is straight.

Interested in how you are going to do an awd swap on the sportwagen. Please share!

DasTeknoViking

Veteran Member
TDI
B4 TDi, A4 R32
Audi A3 DSG trans with angle drive, fuel tank, prop shaft, rear diff and subframe plus spindles with correct wheel bearings. Abs module for awd and just a few can wires. I will probably need to get rid of my rare Jetex exhaust from Sweden as well as the downpipe because it will get in the way of the prop shaft.

Something tells me LSD won't do it for me. Other day when boost hits hard around 3500 I nearly went into the ditch due to no LSD.

DasTeknoViking

Veteran Member
TDI
B4 TDi, A4 R32
You can get a TDi gearbox from Darkside Development. Swap your mechatronics unit over... My DSG is tuned so that's my plan.

If you look around you can source all the parts for under 2k.

I wouldn't mind roaching all 4 skins off the line ;)