Limited Slip Differential

TDI 1

Veteran Member
Do our TDI's have a limited slip differential? This winter my car got stuck on a particularly slick patch of ice, with one wheel on the ice and another on dirt and only the wheel on the ice would spin. My other car is AWD and I guess I got used to that, I thought when I bought this car it had some kind of limited slip or EDL or something like that. Does anyone know if it can be converted with the EDL that the 1.8Ts have? I still don't understand why VWOA thinks we wouldn't want 4motion.

fincoop

Veteran Member
I was thinking the same thing myself, until I realized that it is very easy NOT to wheelspin a TDI. In rough conditions you can shift it under the turbo and drive away on ice with control. All of this before Upsolution of course

On the other hand I think I read in the manual that the TDIs do have EDL, just not ASR.

M

mickey

Your car does have a system that can selectively apply the brakes independently to the front wheels to prevent wheelspin and move the torque to the other side. It only works at low speeds, and is shut off by high torque values in order to prevent damage to the brake pads.

-mickey