Might buy 1982 VW Rabbit Diesel, any thoughts?

BioGreen

TDI
Looking
I am potentially new to the diesel seen. Have spent several months reviewing diesels (which is hard in MA),
but plan to take the plunge in the next 6 months or sooner.
There is an 82 VW Rabbit 1.6L diesel for sale. Eng Refurb in 2000, has recent new water pump, timing belt. pulley & brakes, Many extras incl Leather Ricaro seats, 15" G60 alloy whls w/ Toyo 195/50 tires, Eclipse cass w/ CD changer. It also comes with grease car conversion kit which is a nice extra because I'm thinking of going in that direction. It has my interest but would like any comments past users may have had with regard to overall reliability. Thanks for your input! Greg

VWannabe

Veteran Member
You may want to check out the engine and fuel injectors really good if the car has been running on WVO for awhile. Most kits do not supply enough heat to the oil and end up coking the injectors and/or leaving deposits in the combustion chamber. The Rabbit engine, being an IDI design, is more tolerant of variables but it is still worth looking at. Also check the compression and the body out really well for rust. If the car is from the great white north, then iron ants may have gotten to it underneath.

fastvicar

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat, Indian Red
Sounds expensive for an '82 Rabbit, but when you start tallying up all the goodies it is probably a bargain. Just keep in mind that this thing will be slow. Dependable, efficient & full of character, but slow.

BioGreen

TDI
Looking
What your telling me is when I have the family and kids in the car, and I'm on the on ramp to RT 128, make sure there are no cars coming towards me in the right lane cause there is no chance in hell I'll make a 0-60mph in 6 sec. Yeah, I was speaking to a guy who was selling an MB 240D. Something to think about. Thanks.

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
2003 Jetta - Alaska Green (sold) / 2015 GTI 2.0T
It's a non-turbo small-displacement diesel engine. It's gonna be slow.

You won't even get 0-60 of 6 seconds with VWs 2.0L gas engine either (stock). With the weight of VWs, it takes either 6 or more cylinders, some tuning, or a lighter car (Mini Cooper for example) to get numbers like that.

Jetter_Sprinta

Veteran Member - TDIClub Contributor
TDI
2 Peeps sharing 1 UseYerName//an array of cars
I wouldn't do it. Our 82 Rabbit felt like you were dragging a parachute ALL THE TIME. I actually got a speeding ticket on the Mass Pike for going 70 back in the day when the limit was 55. I asked the cop three or four times if he was sure. I was going down hill, that's the only way. At least our car had all kinds of deamons, like constant rattles, CELs and ALT lights/buzzers.

While I am nostalgic about the old Rabbits (my first car was a '78 Rabbit Diesel which was *much* faster than the '82), I'd take the $4k and look for a Jetta or Passat TDI. Our Passats and my Jetta are a pleasure to drive. The Rabbit...not so much.

Good luck!

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
I think (no, I KNOW) the current BMW-built Mini is quite a bit heavier than a Rabbit...

But seriously, the 1.6L diesel makes 52 hp and about 81 lbs of torque. No screamer, but I drive one every day and mine has to move a bigger, heavier, A2 Jetta. And I still seem to be able to get down the road faster than many of the morons I have to share the 45 mile one-way commute with every day

The '82 will have one of two transmissions, a 4 or 5 speed. The 5 speed is overall better, but the 4 speed "3+E" gearbox is actually OK at speed since it is geared pretty high. The biggest problem I always had with that vintage Rabbit is that they were the "Westmoreland cars". The Rabbit started being built for NA in Westmoreland, PA in 1979. Some '79s, such as my '79 diesel Rabbit C, came from Germany, but by '82 they were all built locally except for the convertibles. In '81, though, is when they really got the crappy Ford Granada-ish interior, big ugly tail lamps, wraparound front turn signals, etc. Where the German Volkswagens still had nice headliners, dashboards, etc. the PA cars had crappy felt headliners, ugly poor-quality dashboards, and American-car like items such as fusible links and shaggy carpet

Mechanically they were essentially the same, so as long as you can deal with the insides and small annoyances the driveline will hold up fine.

But for $4000 that better be one damn nice Rabbit!!!

FWIW the A1 Jetta is on the same platform, was sold with a diesel, and was built in Germany. These are rare but there is a nice '84 on eBay right now.

The later A2 cars had less differences between the American/German cars...you really had to know what you were looking for to see what they were. Every A2 Golf I've seen, gas or diesel, came from either PA or Mexico (later years), and every A2 Jetta diesel I've seen was German built, with a few '88 era gassers from PA (very rare) and lots of '90-'92 gassers from Mexico.

There are several A2 Jetta diesels on eBay now, even a much-peppier '86 turbodiesel!

BioGreen

TDI
Looking
Chris / Oilhammer,
Thanks for your input. I'm having mixed feelings at the moment. I'm going to forgo the 82' VW Rabbit. I would really like a 98'ish Jetta (Like the Golf too but would like a little more space in the rear for weekend trips up North. But, still have some payments on a 2001 Honda Accord we purchased little of a year ago. Can't seem to find many 96-98 jetta diesels around. Currently, I'm seeing 2000 Jetta's in the $8.5K to $10.8K range. A bit out of my range. As far as ebay goes, not sure I want to purchase without physically being able to see it and drive it. Appreciate your response. Regards,

blue_jetta

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Blue Jetta, 2005.5 Black Jetta
I traded my 1981 VW Rabbit LS Diesel in for my 2005 NEW Jetta TDI in early July. I do not regret the decision one bit. Parts will be easier to get for a late 90s Jetta TDI, I made countless trips to the local auto parts store to exchange stuff. Living in MA, you'll need the get up and go that a rabbit simply can not offer. I had numberous electrical problems, drum brakes that kept locking up, growing rust concerns, and the rabbit is a tin can on wheels. The spedo might be wrong if the previous owner has larger rims on the car. My spedo was VERY wrong for that reason. When it read 65, I was really doing 73-74 (however, the larger wheels increased the top cruising speed I felt comfortable with). It took a near miss in an accident that would have at least severely injured me to make up my mind. Doesn't matter how good a driver you are, you still have all the other nuts on the road.

Ever consider a 96 or 97 Passat TDI? I saw 2 around central NJ a few months ago that seemed to be bargains (about $4500).

BioGreen

TDI
Looking
Blue Jetta,
I'm converted. I agree. Appreciate all the feedback. Actually, I would very much like to find a 1996-1998 Jetta,
Golf or Passat and something in the $5-$6K range. Early to mid 1980's has me worried for some of the reasons you state. I have also been looking at mid 80's MB 240D and 300D. Much safer than most, but still have to worry about parts etc... A new car will hopefully be somewhat easier to maintain. Thanks!

thespian666

TDI
1976 Mercedes 300d (no longer)
Well, I don't know that a newer TDi would be any easier (read: Cheaper) to maintain than a W123-bodied 240D or 300D; it would be safer in highspeed accidents though. The only guarantee that a newer A4 Jetta/Golf would be cheap to maintain is if you bought a brand new one; giving you around 2-4 of warrantied repairs.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
240-300D parts are very easy to get and not that expensive
Same goes for A1 and A2 chassis Volkswagens, especially the diesels.

Both are simple, slow, bulletproof cars that are about the cheapest thing to own and maintain this side of a bicycle

Although I have an old 115 chassis 240D at home here that needs a lot of love

BioGreen

TDI
Looking
I plan to keep lookin' and have not ruled out any
decent older Diesel whether it be VW or MB. OR...
What does anyone know about the older Peugeot's.
Saw one for sale, 1985 2.5 L Peugeot Diesel 505 Sedan
w/ auto trans for $985. Guy says he's used it
daily (60 mile/day)??? I wonder what the cost to maintain
is? Any thoughts?

VWScully

Veteran Member
TDI
looking for one :/
Well, I have an 81 Rabbit Diesel and I LOVE IT!

Just know the issues (i.e. water can get into the fuse box causing electrical issues; prevent by making sure the windshield seal is tight).
The other thing I like about my Rabbit is that I can fix a lot of stuff on it myself and it's a relatively simple machine. Sure it's slow, but I used to get a lot of speeding tickets in my Mk3 Golf and 16v Jetta, so maybe slow is a good thing

I was considering doing the WVO conversion on mine, but have decided to brew BioDiesel instead and just finished my Appleseed Processor.

btw, this is my 4th Rabbit; I just keep gravitating back to them
hth and good luck whatever you do

cattlerepairman

Veteran Member
TDI
none
I plan to keep lookin' and have not ruled out any
decent older Diesel whether it be VW or MB. OR...
What does anyone know about the older Peugeot's.
is? Any thoughts?
The 505 was actually one of the *better* Peugeots. The engine is good. If you see major body rust, stay away.
Mechanically, they are ok (I lived in Europe for a long time and they are all over the place) but you should not be easily rattled by trim parts falling off etc. (just like driving a Ford, really
).

If it passes safety inspection and is otherwise healthy, how wrong can you go for under a grand?

You may want to check parts availability as Peugeots are no longer available in North America.

Here is a document with info on North America Peugeot 505's:
http://www.vectorbd.com/peugeot/files/505faqv1.pdf

And you can still get an engine manual: http://www.hdrogers.com/literature/PeugeotDieselManual.html

VWannabe

Veteran Member
My dad had one of the Peugeot turbodiesels with a 5-speed and it was pretty decent for a turbodiesel. The seats were very comfortable and it seemed pretty well built. Your biggest problem, as mentioned, would be getting parts. Peugeots were not very popular and I don't know if there are any forums or boards for this car.

BioGreen

TDI
Looking
Sorry, been away for a bit. The 505 is gone. To late getting to the owner. Still looking, but taking my time.
All diesel prices have jumped, and I'm not buying just to buy. Figured it best to look hard but let things come down a bit. Thanks for all your responses.

KS97Passat

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat sedan, 1997, maroon, 129k mi.
I love my '97 Passat TDI. It has headroom and legroom for four 6' adults, has plenty of power and makes 50mpg on the highway (more much of the year)!

sprstu

Veteran Member
TDI
mk1 TD, GSW TDI 6spd
Im actualy looking to buy a rabbit caddy diesel right now. I would love a newer TDi, but I am just a freak about oldschool, and you cant much cooler and oldschooler' than an 82 vw truck.

ezshift5

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW TDI (Enroute BB).......2017 Jetta 1.4 turbo 5M ....................
....an '82 Rabbit Diesel pickup (purchased used for $3400) has owned me for over 20 years.....I've shopped for a new pickup....but each time, the 55 MPG potential, the easy, casual feel of trucking around in a small, easy to park dependable little truck has kept me from laying out serious bread.

I have enriched the local - very pleasant and competent - VW dealer, over the 20 years, by about the same dough as a new Toyota pickup would have cost me. Diesel fuel pricing
continues to baffle........and that's the sole negative IMHO

It's a individual call.......

all the best, ez

Trinity

California, Trinity Co., on the Trinity River
TDI
buying - still drive 1984 VW tubo diesel
BioGreen
I have read the responses to your post about vintage - 82 VW diesels. I think you have received some sound advice. I would only add the following as an owner for many years of two such vintage VWs (order of 15 years). First is a 82 VW PU diesel non turbo and the second is a 84 Jetta same size engine 1.6L diesel, but it has a turbo. My advice is do not consider any such vehicles that do not have a turbo. Both my vehicles have a five forward speed trans. that provides me a direct comparison. I also had, and gave to a friend, a MB 240D with a 300D engine and automatic trans. and no turbo. On flat land and 70 MPH it was great. In the mountains or on a long grade you were at 25 - 30 MPH.

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
I Presently own a 1986 Golf 4dr, 1.6 na diesel, 5 speed. Engine with about 110k miles on it. It would be difficult to travel with more than two people in the car and have any acceleration unless you come from a very flat state (local). Further, you have to accept the fact that you will have no power off the line and that you will be passed numerous times...and I mean numerous. BUT, I will say that of my two cars it is my favorite when compared with the Jetta TDI, especially for the comfort of the GLI buckets I installed in it. That however, does nothing for making the car faster, which will only happen after thanksgiving when a 1.6TD engine gets installed. I'm looking forward to that day!

sa

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
OR...What does anyone know about the older Peugeot's.
is? Any thoughts?
I've owned three, all decent, a 1981 505TD 5 speed, a 1984 604TD auto that I swapped in a 2.5L TD engine, and a 1986 505TD with the 2.5TD engine and 4 spd auto tranny.

They are decent good engines but are prone to more head problems than VW's. They produce decent mpg but not as good as VW's. My 81 got 41mpg once or twice, usually 38mpg. The 604 auto got 33/34mpg consistently and I never checked on the 86 since I didn't drive it much. Then again they are a lot more car too. I would probably consider a BMW 524TD before I would buy another Peugeot.

I wouldn't want a Peugeot with auto trans. The 1985 would have the three speed auto trans and so your mpg would be similar to the 604 mentioned before. In 1986 they started using the ZF 4 speed auto trans that was a nightmare.

They employed EGR early on, my 1981 even had it but I'm sure that it was a rudimentary system unlike what we have today. Since Peugeot is no longer here parts might be an issue. They were not required to maintain any parts for US cars after 2002 (10 years after departure) so be aware of that.

my .02
SA

Audi5000TDI

Banned
TDI
Passat, 1996, Grey
Im actualy looking to buy a rabbit caddy diesel right now. I would love a newer TDi, but I am just a freak about oldschool, and you cant much cooler and oldschooler' than an 82 vw truck.
Well, I'm gonna get back to Old School with this 1982 Audi 4000 diesel. Talk about Rare! Engine parts are common with the Dasher and the Quantums.