Check engine light and resonance issues

tbones

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat wagon tdi, 1991 Corrado TDI (sold)1983 Vanagon 7pass.GL 1.6td 1982 Westy;THE PHOENIX 1.6na(NOW JX/5speed) my partner's 2014 Jetta Sportwagon 6spd manual AND MY NEW TOY/PROJECT... Sunny, a bright yellow 87 syncro Westy with 1Z TDI motor
Hi gang,
I just posted about my trip from MD to Maine and back, And will post a few questions I have here:
My check engine light is randomly coming on both faintly and then full brightness and then going off.
I put my old Vagcom to check for codes, and the laptop's not working well enough to tell. The car ran flawlessly, and I'm just wondering if there might be an electrical problem with that check engine light circuit.
The other issuewas a rather annoying residence at about 2000 RPM. I've read where this could be due to a buildup of soot in the downpipe, I have not had a chance to bang on it to test and see if loosening any buildup in there makes it go away.if anyone has other ideas what could cause that, I will check into that, also.
As I stated in my write up about the trip, the car performed flawlessly, and was quite enjoyable to drive, aside from these two minor issues.
If anybody has any thoughts or suggestions on either of these, I'm all ears!
Regards,
Steve

dlee275

TDI
96 B4V
My check engine light also has some variation in the intensity of its brightness. It stays on for a known issue I have, but sometimes it's dim, others it's fully bright, and occasionally it will go from one spectrum to the other while running. I have no other apparent issues with the cluster.