Checked IQ & IP timing please advise

coolvdub

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI/2013 JSW
Hi all,

New guy here. I have had my '01 Jetta for about a month now and have been fixing all the small problems 1st while recovering from a failed tranny on the way home after purchase.

So I know I need to change the TB ASAP with a quality kit. I will be getting one of the 100k kits so I won't have to do it again for a while.

So my last tank netted 50.2 mpg and I am happy with that for now. Looking to be at 52-55 mpg when all is said and done. That being said,
I finally checked IQ and IP timing today. The IQ was at 2.0 and I bumped it to 3.0 to see how it affects mileage. Also the IP timing was in the retarded range at 35 which is costing me a few mpg. So my question is, when a TB stretches will you see retarded timing like I have now? Would it be wise to advance it via the pump to be closer to the blue line until I change the TB, or should I leave well enough alone.

Also what is the best value to shoot for in regards to IP timing advance for the best power and mpg. I read it somewhere, but can't find it now via the search, so if you can direct me to a specific post on this it would be much appreciated.

Don

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Skoda rapid elegance 1.6 cr tdi
Here's a thread on the timing, there's a good link too in post #3

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=317329

The IQ works by the higher the number the lower the actual injected quantity so you could try that at an even higher number. If you go to lean you'll find the car shudders on slow down from what I've read.

coolvdub

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI/2013 JSW
Seatman,

Thanks for the link. I did read the post by aNUT, it is full of a lot of information. I'm just so new at these TDI's that I want to research well before making any changes.

Don

Baron VonZeppelin

Veteran Member
TDI
98 Jetta TDI, 81 VW Truck TiDi, 85 Jetta TiDi
Get the Inj timing to play kissykissy with the blue line / central spec zone.
It'll also get you familiarized with the adjustment process some - for when after you do your belt.

IQ range of safety is 3 - 5.
I'd get as close to 5 as the software will allow. And road test.
Like Seatman mentioned ... 5 is leaner than 4 , etc...
2 was rather rich.

Just recently did IQ on a 98 AHU that was 2.6 or 2.8 , and software could only get it to 4.2 or 4.4. And left it there for now.

You "might" have to resort to the "hammer mod" to get more IQ adjustment.

I'm giving suggests to you based on best economy - not necessarily best hi-performance.

Keep note of your before settings in case you need to revert back to them.