2006 jetta broke in MX...

nicknack2

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 TDI Passat SE & 06' TDI Jetta
so day before my wife came back from vacations our 2006 BRM Manual transmission Jetta broke down, she heard some noises, the car stumbled for about a block then the engine shut off, she tried to crank, but engine will not turn (locked?)...local VW shop did TB 67K miles ago (Jetta has 268k+) so my guess is that something internal in the crank case broke or the timing belt gave out...no smoke nor oil spill observed...I have not checked the car yet as it is still 600 miles in MX, which brings me to the second problem... is there a way to use a tow bar to pull back in to the US?
trying to stay optimistic as possible... but two huge problems...fixing the car and getting the car back in to the U.S.

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
so day before my wife came back from vacations our 2006 BRM Manual transmission Jetta broke down, she heard some noises, the car stumbled for about a block then the engine shut off, she tried to crank, but engine will not turn (locked?)...local VW shop did TB 67K miles ago (Jetta has 268k+) so my guess is that something internal in the crank case broke or the timing belt gave out...no smoke nor oil spill observed...I have not checked the car yet as it is still 600 miles in MX, which brings me to the second problem... is there a way to use a tow bar to pull back in to the US?
trying to stay optimistic as possible... but two huge problems...fixing the car and getting the car back in to the U.S.
Sorry to hear of the mishap.

600 miles into Mexico? Sell it where it sits? Or, get flat bed trailer and haul it back. Pull it with a strong pickup truck.

nicknack2

Veteran Member
TDI
Sorry to hear of the mishap.

600 miles into Mexico? Sell it where it sits? Or, get flat bed trailer and haul it back. Pull it with a strong pickup truck.
cant sell it legally in MX, I have a Chevy Duramax to pull it, but not sure how or if a tow bar can be used. American car dollies are not allowed in to MX:eek:

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
cant sell it legally in MX, I have a Chevy Duramax to pull it, but not sure how or if a tow bar can be used. American car dollies are not allowed in to MX:eek:
There's a thread on here somewhere where a member towed his TDI with 4 wheels on the ground and had some damage (not sure exactly what). It's best to tow these front wheel drive cars with the front wheels on a trailer at a minimum.

kbaisley

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI 5spd
The front bumper cover comes off very easily. This will give you access to the bumper reinforcement. This has 4- 16MM bolts that go straight into each side of the frame rails. I would look at what is available, as far as towing bracket in MX and look for a fabricator to adapt. You should be able to retrofit something off the shelf, or build something, with a decent fabricator / welder.

Be sure to really have a serious look at the ROI of doing this effort. You can probably get another TDI stateside that needs comparable or less work, with less mileage for 2K or less.

Last edited:

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
PM member "dweisel" as he towed a 2002 Beetle from my house in Texas to WV with the above method. He may give you info on the tow bar and setup.

nicknack2

Veteran Member
TDI
The front bumper cover comes off very easily. This will give you access to the bumper reinforcement. This has 4- 16MM bolts that go straight into each side of the frame rails. I would look at what is available, as far as towing bracket in MX and look for a fabricator to adapt. You should be able to retrofit something off the shelf, or build something, with a decent fabricator / welder.

Be sure to really have a serious look at the ROI of doing this effort. You can probably get another TDI stateside that needs comparable or less work, with less mileage for 2K or less.

I don't think finding another TDI for 2k or less is doable, this puppies are still expensive...

but I know this is a big endeavor, the issue is I have to go get it either way, Mexican Customs puts a hold on this cars when you bring them across the border, it must be returned to the U.S.

foliva

TDI
Jetta (Bora) MK5 1.9 PD TDI
Someone's going to have to cross the border into Mexico for you to pick up your car. This person will either have to drive all the way down to where you are with tools, etc. or you'll have to hire a tow truck to haul your vehicle as close to the border as possible. Considering the costs, the first option is the most viable.

Your last option is to get the car fixed in Mexico. Thing is, TDIs are as you must have noticed are fairly rare here. I'd be afraid to step into a shop only to be overcharged if not being at risk of ruining a car by a mechanic overstating his knowledge of these engines.

nicknack2

Veteran Member
TDI
so just speaking to the wife about what happened while the car failed, she said the car made noise for about two blocks then died, so if the timing belt would have failed the car would had shut down almost immediately right??? now rod failure would have made loud pounding noises...here is what I'm hoping for...alternator bearing/pulley failure with noise..failure to charge battery and drained??? not being able to crank the car over could give the perception of locked engine???

csigona

TDI
2002 Jetta ALH, 2005 Jetta BRM
I'd try to get it fixed in Mexico, or at least diagnosed. I had a few problems with my MK2 Jetta diesel some years back while travelling. The Mexican mechanics were good and inexpensive, albeit a little unorthodox. One could even say they're imaginative. In any case, they fixed, I paid, and off I drove. Yes, it wasn't a TDI, but my bet is that the problem has nothing to do with the turbo. I'm sorry that you don't have a lot of viable choices.

nicknack2

Veteran Member
TDI
Hello all,
Well finally got my jetta back in the U.S. ended up pulling it with tow bar, things went smoothly...had to take the front bumper off and had it modified to adapt the tow bar holes, it took drilling 4 holes and that was it...it was interesting as the bumper steel is hardened so a press had to be used to drill the holes...well the interesting part is that there is nothing wrong with the engine...the alternator seized and brought the engine to a halt...after making sure the engine would turn by hand I took the alternator belt off cranked the motor and it started right away... now the new adventure of replacing the alternator begins

N.CaTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2005.5 Jetta
Hello all,
Well finally got my jetta back in the U.S. ended up pulling it with tow bar, things went smoothly...had to take the front bumper off and had it modified to adapt the tow bar holes, it took drilling 4 holes and that was it...it was interesting as the bumper steel is hardened so a press had to be used to drill the holes...well the interesting part is that there is nothing wrong with the engine...the alternator seized and brought the engine to a halt...after making sure the engine would turn by hand I took the alternator belt off cranked the motor and it started right away... now the new adventure of replacing the alternator begins
Easy Fix for the Alternator. Should had it looked at in Mexico. My 2005.5 lost its Alternator a few years ago down there and got a new one from Autozone in Manzanillo put it in the car in about half and hour.

nicknack2

Veteran Member
TDI
Easy Fix for the Alternator. Should had it looked at in Mexico. My 2005.5 lost its Alternator a few years ago down there and got a new one from Autozone in Manzanillo put it in the car in about half and hour.
Have not had very good experience with mechanics in MX, often quality of the work has not been up to par and TDIs, are not that common.
Mechanics I have dealt with in MX are quick to start cutting wires and not using all hardwares during reassembly...I'm assuming not all work like that, but knowing I can do most jobs I rather look at things my self.

Last edited:

Henrick

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf VI TDI, 77 kW (CAYC)
Just replace the alternator bearings and be done with that.
Don't get a cheap/reman alternator as usually they are junk.

N.CaTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2005.5 Jetta
Youtube show not so easy ways, at least a couple of hours of work...any links with how to???

Not sure what you are watching easy job. Take off Battery cable; remove turbo pipe over Alt; Remove and replace Alt. put belt back on and turbo pipe back on then battery cable. Really should take you under and hour max. My alt pulley locked up and fell off; belt dropped off but car ran so I could get it home to my Mexican condo; There I ordered new alternator from Autozone had it in 2 days and did the replacement with just the few tools I take to Mexico.

Yes Mexican auto repair is hit and miss and they do not know TDIs Not sure if its any worst then what you would find driving in the USA to a small town and having a problem.

Carlos_TJ

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Bora (BXE PD)
We have dedicated vw shops in mx. However they dont deal with tdi's. 99% of tdi owners in mx service and get their car fixed by the dealer.... its a hit or miss like in the US. Some dealer mechanics work on the side as private mechanics and are very sought after.. tdis are common because they have been sold here since 2007 for jettas and its younger brother the Vento. The mk4 carryover had a TDI version as well... again, Mx VW dealers get the money for parts and service..

N.CaTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2005.5 Jetta
We have dedicated vw shops in mx. However they dont deal with tdi's. 99% of tdi owners in mx service and get their car fixed by the dealer.... its a hit or miss like in the US. Some dealer mechanics work on the side as private mechanics and are very sought after.. tdis are common because they have been sold here since 2007 for jettas and its younger brother the Vento. The mk4 carryover had a TDI version as well... again, Mx VW dealers get the money for parts and service..

Yes wish VW sold this one in the USA (or any TDI now lol)

http://www.vwcomerciales.com.mx/es/...ix.html/amarok~2Fhighline-at-4motion-tdi.html

Carlos_TJ

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Bora (BXE PD)
Yeah, the Amarok is cool. It has a 2.0 double turbo CR. Its available with stick transmission and 4motion too..

The Toureg is still sold with TDI power as of 2017, along the Jetta and the Golf. The Vento is also very popular.
We have the Crafter and the Transporter in TDI.....We also get the Seat brand sold here, but i think no TDIs for those..

nicknack2

Veteran Member
TDI
Not sure what you are watching easy job. Take off Battery cable; remove turbo pipe over Alt; Remove and replace Alt. put belt back on and turbo pipe back on then battery cable. Really should take you under and hour max. My alt pulley locked up and fell off; belt dropped off but car ran so I could get it home to my Mexican condo; There I ordered new alternator from Autozone had it in 2 days and did the replacement with just the few tools I take to Mexico.

Yes Mexican auto repair is hit and miss and they do not know TDIs Not sure if its any worst then what you would find driving in the USA to a small town and having a problem.
Will look in to it sounds easy enough, you are talking about a 2006 jetta TDI BRM right?

On YouTube they show taking airbox off, fans and shround and even removing or dropping a/c compressor...

N.CaTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2005.5 Jetta
Will look in to it sounds easy enough, you are talking about a 2006 jetta TDI BRM right?

On YouTube they show taking airbox off, fans and shround and even removing or dropping a/c compressor...
c

Yes a 2005.5 same car. No need to take airbox off; fans; or shround and A/C Look in your engine compartment the Alternator is on top front passenger side of car.

nicknack2

Veteran Member
TDI
finally got it all done, pulley was bad too so replaced the alternator and pulley...The car runs great, just drove 600 miles and got 47 MPG best I have ever gotten...