HELP...CODE P0472-000 Exhaust pressure sensor 1(G450) Signal too low

swsc

TDI
2010 Jetta TDI Sportwagen
My Check Engine Light came on yesterday. I ran the diagnotic computer VCDS and it gave me this P0472 code (Exhaust Pressure Sensor 1 (G450) Signal Too Low. What can I do??? What does it mean, and how do I fix it??? I have a 2010 Jetta TDI Sportwagen with 73,000 miles.
Thanks!!!!

03_01_TDI

Banned
TDI
Na
My Check Engine Light came on yesterday. I ran the diagnotic computer VCDS and it gave me this P0472 code (Exhaust Pressure Sensor 1 (G450) Signal Too Low. What can I do??? What does it mean, and how do I fix it??? I have a 2010 Jetta TDI Sportwagen with 73,000 miles.
Thanks!!!!
Rawtek.com ;)

schultp

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta Sportwagen, 6sp manual
Rawtek.com ;)
Not the most helpful for the OP who is new to our forum.

For the OP, Rawtek sells exhaust component replacements that get rid of the DPF (diesel particulate filter). However, this is not a cheap process and is only an option if your DPF is truly on its last legs (ie, clogged with soot) and cannot regenerate to the point where it burns off enough of the soot.

Here is a link I found that might help....

http://www.myturbodiesel.com/forum/f19/2010-golf-tdi-throwing-code-p0472-13307/

Good luck.

specsalot

Veteran Member
TDI
Currently none
swsc - Here is a graphic of your DPF:

The Exhaust Pressure Sensor 1 G450, functions to generate a signal related to the differential pressure which exists internally in your DPF. I don't know if this signal. In order to clear your DPF of trapped carbon the engine management system executes changes in fuel flow, injection timing and air flow in order to elevate internal temperatures in your DPF to burn away trapped carbon. The "narrative" VW technician training instructions say the following about active regeneration.
Active Regeneration Function

The soot load of the particulate filter is calculated by two pre-programmed load models in the Engine Control Module (ECM) J623.
One of the load models is determined from the driving profile of the user and the signals from the exhaust gas temperature sensors and Heated Oxygen Sensor (HO2S) G39.

Another soot load model is the flow resistance of the particulate filter. It is calculated from the signals of Exhaust Pressure Sensor 1 G450, Exhaust Gas Temperature (EGT) Sensor 3 G495, and Mass Air Flow (MAF) Sensor G70.
You have a code which suggests the output signal of sensor G450 is too low. I do not know if this signal rises with rising differential pressure or falls with rising DP. This is purely a function of component and control design. It would make sense that sensor failure would output a low signal which could be error trapped by the control system. My guess is that you are either looking at sensor failure or problems elsewhere in your back end treatment system.
One of the know issues with these cars is a sticking exhaust throttle valve. If this were the case the differential pressure across the DPF would fall because your engine exhaust flow would be choked off. I'm not sure where VW draws the line, but at 77,000 miles, it's fair to argue that this is an emissions problem that may have cover under the emission warranty.

Worth asking the dealer and potentially opening a case with VoA. Call VoA and ask them if you will get warranty coverage as an emission system problem. If you are seeing a fall off in MPG or engine performance, it is likely more than just a sensor failure. In any event, if a high signal is required to trigger this one of these active regen programs and your signal is low, you are losing one of the protective triggers which preserves your DPF. This is a situation that cannot be ignored.

I continue to believe that many of the DPF issues with these cars occurs because of un-detected sensor calibration drift. In your case an error it trapped, I'm not sure that a drift in MAF output is trapped. For sure a drift in MAF could put the engine on track for sub-stoic combustion which could negatively impact DPF life.

Last edited:

swsc

TDI
2010 Jetta TDI Sportwagen
What is approx price of a new DPF and is it easy to replace at home?

Is the DPF easy to replace at home? What is the part number?
Thanks!
2010 Jetta TDI sportwagen

specsalot

Veteran Member
TDI
Currently none
Is the DPF easy to replace at home? What is the part number?
Thanks!
2010 Jetta TDI sportwagen
People who have been through this at dealerships say the bill (including parts) comes in at ~$4K, so it's probably not something easy to on your garage floor. If you have access to the right kind of vehicle hoist/lift - A different story. You can find a pic in the following thread on this subject here:

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=385125

Not trying to be a smart a$$ here but these forums have a decent search tool that can point up useful threads like the one above.

lsnover

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta TDI Sedan, 2010 JSW
Sorry to hit this slightly older thread. I'm having similar issues with my 2009 Jetta. Approx. 125K miles. There are two sensors (G505) and (G450). One is to the left of the oil cap, the other is right above the oil cap.

I replaced the (G505) sensor to the left side of the cap. Engine light came back on within a day. I did use VAGCOM to "acclimate" the sensor during the install.

My question is what is the difference between the two sensors? They seem to be the same part visually. Is one more prone to failure than the other. My next step is to replace the (G450) sensor, which I believe is part#079 906 051B. Can anyone confirm this for me?

Thanks!
Lee

jimmyv65

TDI
2010 Jetta Sportwagen
Thanks

Thanks for posting this and all who added to the thread. I got a P0472 and was very sad at the thought of letting the dealer look at it. I've done a tune via APR and just pictured it being a train wreck.

I swapped the G450 sensor and re-calibrated. So far....all good.

Much gracias!

MTjake

Veteran Member
TDI
I am getting P0471 0472 but still getting regens at seemingly regular intervals. Any problems if we continue to drive it for the next couple thousand miles, or should I replace sensors asap?

MTjake

Veteran Member
TDI
I read the .pdf and apparently it is in failure mode but still performing regens based on

"...distance travelled or the number of hours in operation. This cycle for particulate filter regeneration, however, is not effective over a long period of time. After a predetermined number of cycles, the diesel particulate filter warning lamp will light up and the preglow control lamp will then flash..the vehicle must be driven to a workshop."

We will find out during this weeks' 1100 mile trip if we exceed the predetermined number of cycles, and I will get a sensor ordered so it's waiting for me next week.

MTjake

Veteran Member
TDI
Trip completed without any misbehavior from the CR (but the pinch protection on the pass rear window and some axle vibration, grrr), but scan is again showing both P0471 and P0472. On to replacing the sensor(s).

gdbruns

TDI
2010 VW Jetta
Just got the P0472 code on my 2010 Jetta, 133k miles. I had noticed that it would stutter when I was at speed and barely feathering the gas in the last week so I don't know if that might have caused it (I had 3 iterations stored when I read the CEL at advanced auto).
I'm thinking of replacing the G450 sensor myself, found what seems to be the part (http://www.eeuroparts.com/Parts/65126/EGR-Pressure-Sensor-076906051B/?gclid=Cj0KEQjwqZKxBRDBkNmLt9DejNgBEiQAq8XWPpxcu1aLeCK-P7sYFcq4e5aBDGyArLutgr_OW_HkDhQaAjJl8P8HAQ), don't know if anyone knows anything about this website or not but the price is right. I also don't have a VCDS to reset/calibrate everything, is this going to be a problem? I figure I can just take it to the dealer if I can't get it working again but I don't know what they will do other than say they would have to fix it from scratch.
Also, I'm concerned doing this without going to the dealer because of the whole emissions scandal with VW. Does anyone think they might fix this for free or greatly reduced price since it seems that it's not reducing NOx like it should anyway?:cool:

lsnover

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta TDI Sedan, 2010 JSW
I'll warn you, I had two brand new sensors bad out of the box. The companies I purchased from (including ECS), would NOT WARRANT them because they are "electrical" parts and were "not installed by an authorized VW tech.". So I paid almost double plus labor to have the dealer install and "fix" the problem. They had one bad out of the box as well, but at least they were on the hook.

Anyone know where we can purchase these parts and actually have them covered if there is a problem?

Just got the P0472 code on my 2010 Jetta, 133k miles. I had noticed that it would stutter when I was at speed and barely feathering the gas in the last week so I don't know if that might have caused it (I had 3 iterations stored when I read the CEL at advanced auto).
I'm thinking of replacing the G450 sensor myself, found what seems to be the part (http://www.eeuroparts.com/Parts/651...CK-P7sYFcq4e5aBDGyArLutgr_OW_HkDhQaAjJl8P8HAQ), don't know if anyone knows anything about this website or not but the price is right. I also don't have a VCDS to reset/calibrate everything, is this going to be a problem? I figure I can just take it to the dealer if I can't get it working again but I don't know what they will do other than say they would have to fix it from scratch.
Also, I'm concerned doing this without going to the dealer because of the whole emissions scandal with VW. Does anyone think they might fix this for free or greatly reduced price since it seems that it's not reducing NOx like it should anyway?:cool:

gdbruns

TDI
2010 VW Jetta
So an update here....

took it to my mechanic and he checked out some other things and pulled the sensor, cleaned it, and it threw the code as soon as the key was turned to on so I'm guessing it's a bad sensor but we'll see when I take it in to have it replaced. Also, as far as I can tell this does not have anything to do with the whole VW emissions thing but I still have to put in a call to my dealer to see if they want to do it for free, wink wink
;) .

SkipCycle

TDI
2015 Golf Station Wagen TDI SEL w/ DSG
My P0472 experience

The light first came on about three weeks ago and I got the P0472 code from the auto parts place. It actually went out a week later but then came back on after a day. Checked to make sure it was still the same code. Had to drive it on a trip about 550 miles RT and had no issues with performance and actually was getting the best mileage I've ever had for interstate driving but the light stayed on. Ordered the G450 sensor that goes behind the oil fill and was able to replace it without too much trouble. See video link that really helped me.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=x0d0YPDRsuo
And the part .. https://www.partsgeek.com/3ppchz6-volkswagen-jetta-egr-pressure-feedback-sensor.html

First time I started it up the light stayed on, but today it was off when I started it and I sport drove it on the interstate for about 15 miles and the CEL stayed off. I'm crossing my fingers this fixes it. I did not have to use a VCDS that I don't own in the process either.

I was motivated to fix it myself when the local stealer charged me $364 to replace one glow plug about a year and a half ago. Hope this helps the next person searching here. 2010 JSW TDI 74K
I may just keep this thing. :p