Youtube Support

Farfromovin

Torque Addict
TDI
03 Golf 2dr- PD150 6m
I have tried embedding youtube videos in the forums here with no such luck. I think I'm doing it right (just copy and paste the embed code on youtube's site to here) but it doesn't work. Is this a forum software limitation? How much of a pain would it be to fix to add this feature? I think members youtube videos playing in an actual post would be great! No need to open up additional tabs or windows to go check out video clips. Just my .02 :)

Farfromovin

Torque Addict
TDI
03 Golf 2dr- PD150 6m
Nothing? 40 Views and nada? Don't mods peruse this section? Seriously, this is a much needed update to our forum. I know there are tons of ad sponsored forums that have had it for a long time, and I know we don't have those pesky sponsors but really, what does it take for this to happen? I'm curious.

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
He may have that feature disabled. I've never been able to do it either.

You can always post the link ;)

Farfromovin

Torque Addict
TDI
03 Golf 2dr- PD150 6m
Nice vid dieseldorf. However, it would be much nicer if I could watch it INSIDE your post instead of in a different browser window/tab...

Farfromovin

Torque Addict
TDI
03 Golf 2dr- PD150 6m
That's what I'm getting at. Now, can someone "just enable" this? By someone, I probably am talking about Fred? Mods... Still waiting on feedback from you guys. I'm 100% confident that this is a good change. As a matter of fact, it's the only good change I have ever thought of for this site.

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
2003 Jetta - Alaska Green (sold) / 2015 GTI 2.0T
I'm with Phil on this, I think "inline" videos would be a nice touch.

Rickstah

Veteran Member
TDI
NB, 2002, green, Eurotek STG1
personal perspective here....I had a bb once that allowed that, and it caused more overhead on the local server, etc. If you just post a link, then the overhead is on your client box's head...that said, not sure why it is disabled. Looks cleaner when live videos are not splashed all over I think.

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
IIRC, with embedded video the video still plays from youtube's server and in the client browser, it's just referenced in the page.

BKmetz

Administrator, Member #10
Staff member
TDI
2015 Passat, titanium beige, 6MT
Fred would have to decide if he wants this feature enabled.

Rickstah

Veteran Member
TDI
NB, 2002, green, Eurotek STG1
Bob_Fout said:
IIRC, with embedded video the video still plays from youtube's server and in the client browser, it's just referenced in the page.
I think you may be right, come to think, I was dealing with non-streaming, or progressive download and had to serve it from my website...was an issue back when traffic was charged by gig, probably no longer

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
With embedded videos, you click the preview and it plays "within" the page. No 2nd tab or 2nd window to open.

VW Derf

Administrator
Staff member
TDI
2010 Blue Graphite Pearl Golf Variant
Thanks for the link guys. Let me give this a little thought and get back to you. Provided it isn't abused it could work, I just see it as something that could be intrusive for those in locations where they don't want speakers. Additionally I want to ensure that it can't be used as a launch mechanism for viruses and such (why HTML is disabled in posts).

NarfBLAST

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf 5MT
On the "intrusive" note, I do not think these embedded videos start simply by opening the page, someone correct me if I am wrong but you must always click "play" before it starts, right?

Here is a test, my glowing smoking turn signal switch:

link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_OFSvYuFw4c
vs.
embedded:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/_OFSvYuFw4c&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/_OFSvYuFw4c&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Farfromovin

Torque Addict
TDI
03 Golf 2dr- PD150 6m
NarfBLAST- you are exactly correct. If the embedded video is inside the post, you have to click on it to play it.

Fred- As always, I appreciate the hard work and dedication keeping this place going.

NB_TDi

Vendor
TDI
2014 Jetta SE
The play button is nothing really. It's the fact that a flash object is being allowed to run inside. It does pose a risk, but how much is a matter of weight.

NarfBLAST

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf 5MT
Hows it going? Can we embed videos yet?

I just found a much easier and cooler way to link to youtube videos:

Finger Fuel Mod

All I did was go to my "Uploaded Videos" page and select the thumbnail and title and cut and paste it directly into the "Reply to Thread" edit message window.

This also works for cutting and pasting thumbnails from the TDIClub photo gallary, I'm not sure if this is in the official how to post pictures but I think it works really nice (click to enlarge):

Farfromovin

Torque Addict
TDI
03 Golf 2dr- PD150 6m
That's nice on the pics!!! I like the click to enlarge.

However,
No progress on the embedded videos. We can dream...

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
2015 Golf SE SportWagen, 2015 Golf SE Hatch Back.
Most likely not going to happen. Embedding the videos would eat up bandwidth on the TDIClub servers. Fred looked at it eight years ago and didn't do it. Please just let it go...