No communication with Power Steering module after DMF replacement

DanG144

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 A4 Jetta 5spd
After replacing the DMF in a DSG yesterday, we had problems with the power steering not recovering properly. Can anyone think of something that we could have done during the DSG replacement that could cause this?

The battery was disconnected for 8 hours or so. No charger was put on it, no effort made to keep any keep alive power to the system.

The power steering would function for a few seconds erratically, then the malfunction indicator would come back on. After clearing the codes on the car we had the remaining issues.

The J500 Power steering Control module is obviously not communicating properly on the CAN bus.

We did unhook the battery again, and in desperation, even touched the positive and negative cables together for 30 seconds or so. Same behavior and same codes still existed.

The fuse to the J500 is good and has power on both sides.

(edit after post #4) Yes, I should have mentioned that we did drive the car, follow the procedure for resetting the steering, lock to lock for 5 seconds each, then straight, then turn off the key, then start and drive straight, repeat until sick. It did not help. The car was driven for more than 10 miles total. (end edit)

Any help in troubleshooting would be appreciated. I barely can spell CAN Bus, much less trouble shoot it. I understand the basic concept, but beyond checking voltages and continuity, I am over my head.

http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/01309 gives some good starting points. I will take the actions specified in the WIKI (Thanks Ross-Tech!), is there anything else I should do after that, or would I be down to simply replacing the J500 Power Steering module?

Any thoughts are welcome.

Dan

Chassis Type: 1K0
Scan: 01 02 03 08 09 0F 15 16 17 19 25 42 44 46 52 56 62 72 7D
VIN: 3VWST71K36M819953 Mileage: 173390km/107739miles
00-Steering Angle Sensor -- Status: OK 0000
01-Engine -- Status: Malfunction 0010
02-Auto Trans -- Status: OK 0000
03-ABS Brakes -- Status: Malfunction 0010
08-Auto HVAC -- Status: OK 0000
09-Cent. Elect. -- Status: Malfunction 0010
0F-Digital Radio -- Status: Malfunction 0010
15-Airbags -- Status: OK 0000
16-Steering wheel -- Status: OK 0000
17-Instruments -- Status: Malfunction 0010
19-CAN Gateway -- Status: Malfunction 0010
25-Immobilizer -- Status: OK 0000
42-Door Elect, Driver -- Status: Malfunction 0010
44-Steering Assist -- Status: Cannot be reached 1100
46-Central Conv. -- Status: OK 0000
52-Door Elect, Pass. -- Status: Malfunction 0010
56-Radio -- Status: OK 0000
62-Door, Rear Left -- Status: OK 0000
72-Door, Rear Right -- Status: OK 0000
7D-Aux. Heat -- Status: OK 0000

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Address 03: ABS Brakes Labels: 1K0-907-379-MK60-F.lbl
Part No SW: 1K0 907 379 AA HW: 1K0 907 379 AA
Component: ESP FRONT MK60 0102
Revision: 00H13001
Coding: 0021122
Shop #: WSC 00066 000 00000
VCID: 71E339B868B23B1
1 Fault Found:
01309 - Power Steering Control Module (J500)
004 - No Signal/Communication
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Address 19: CAN Gateway Labels: 1K0-907-530.lbl
Part No SW: 1K0 907 530 F HW: 1K0 907 951
Component: Gateway H10 0120
Revision: H10 Serial number: 28001062270624
Coding: 3F3F0B60071002
Shop #: WSC 00066 000 00000
VCID: 2A51EED485E4089
1 Fault Found:
01309 - Power Steering Control Module (J500)
004 - No Signal/Communication
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 01100100
Fault Priority: 2
Fault Frequency: 1
Reset counter: 191
Mileage: 173392 km
Time Indication: 0
Date: 2000.00.00
Time: 21:52:18

End ---------------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited:

D-Cell_Mekanick

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Honda Civic SE
Is the ground wire hooked up and tight, not the battery negative, the ground wire that is often let off after DMF change. I'd start lookin there first.

DanG144

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 A4 Jetta 5spd
I put the ground wire from the body to the transmission on myself, and it was clean and tight.

I will check for any voltage difference beween battery negative, chassis ground and transmission. Good thought, thanks.

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
It might seem obvious but did you drive the car to re-adapt the steering? The steering should re-adapt after a couple of blocks with at least 1 or 2 corners taken.

DanG144

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 A4 Jetta 5spd
Yes, I should have mentioned that we did drive the car, follow the procedure for resetting the steering, lock to lock for 5 seconds each, then straight, then turn off the key, then start and drive straight, repeat until sick. It did not help. The car was driven for more than 10 miles total.

Thanks for the suggestion. It was a good one.

Last edited:

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Did you drop the subframe? I always take it off, and leave the rack hanging when I do those, but there is a wire harness that is screwed into the TOP of the subframe (the aluminum casting) that is a little tricky to get loose and back together again. Maybe something in the wiring got pinched? Over on the driver's side.

DanG144

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 A4 Jetta 5spd
No, we did not drop the subframe, or even a control arm. Nothing was disturbed (at least on purpose) on the steering system.

I don't think we disturbed any wiring, but I will look at it closely.

Thanks for the suggestion, they all help.

Henrick

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf VI TDI, 77 kW (CAYC)
Was the dog bone mount touched/removed/disturbed? As far as I understand the electro-mechanical steering assist lives just above it. Just a guess but maybe too long/wrong bolt which was used for dog bone and damaged something?

DanG144

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 A4 Jetta 5spd
The dog bone mount (fore and aft engine and transmission motion limiter) was removed and put back in. The bolts were checked, old vs new, just before insertion.

But again, this is a good thing to double-check.

DanG144

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 A4 Jetta 5spd
D-Cell, you win the award. I removed the ground from the transmission, then swung the wire around out of the way. That apparently loosened the bolt on the body lug of that ground wire.

By the time I called the owner today, it was no longer even starting. Apparently the vibrations were loosening the nut even more.

The owner tightened it up and all problems disappeared.

Thank you all for your helpful suggestions.

D-Cell_Mekanick

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Honda Civic SE
D-Cell, you win the award. I removed the ground from the transmission, then swung the wire around out of the way. That apparently loosened the bolt on the body lug of that ground wire.

By the time I called the owner today, it was no longer even starting. Apparently the vibrations were loosening the nut even more.

The owner tightened it up and all problems disappeared.

Thank you all for your helpful suggestions.
Submit a $15 donation to tdiclub.com under my user name and we can call it even:D!

DanG144

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 A4 Jetta 5spd
Done.
15.46 USD, 15 CAD donated in your name.

I just donated 3 twelve hour days to helping some servicemen out with their TDI's. This was one of those projects. We did not finish until after 9pm Sunday night.

Your helpful suggestion's success really made the owner's family's day. He has been back a week after 2 year's deployment in the National Guard.

Robert6401

Veteran Member
TDI
'06 Jetta DSG
Everyone, thanks so much for the help. I am the benefactor in this instance and I can tell you that I really enjoyed my celebratory Guiness after resolving the issues last night!

For anyone who doesn't already know, Dan is one of the most helpful and selfless people you'll ever meet. I can't thank him enough for all of the work he has done to get my new-to-us TDI safe enough for me to feel comfortable letting my wife use it for her daily commute. Also, I'll repeat what I told Dan last night - "these cars can be a lot of fun to drive when you don't have to worry about the flywheel exploding or the power steering giving out!"

I guess now it's time for me to pony up the donation, except this one will be in Dan's name!

Last edited:

Henrick

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Ha ha. Get an (early) Passat B6/3C. Then you'll really understand what actually 'problems with power steering' means :D

deakenss

TDI
2006 jetta tdi
This issue has happened to me VW is telling me I need a new RACK because the module is messed. no communication ... same error j500. thought I could bye just the module ..?? any advice? please

MyAvocation

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2017 Passat SEL TSI
I'll bet you a club donation there's nothing wrong with your rack. Dealers don't troubleshoot beyond part replacements, so the obvious solution is a new rack.

Several of us fixed this problem by cleaning certain ground points. Clean-up the one mentioned by D-Cell & Dan, then this one in post #3: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=402283&highlight=Peach

Report back with who owes a donation.

EDIT: Can't buy the module, is integrated into rack, as with most VW modules.

Last edited:

georgekeemo

TDI
golf mk5
sorry for digging up a 2 year old post ,but i have the same problem with the j500 controle module. Power steering isn't working. The problem is a bit strange ,after a couple of kilometers off driving arround the power steering light comes off ,and it works beautifully. This isn't a one time deal. When i'm leaving to work for example the power steering isn't working ,after a couple of kilometers and the water gauge is at 60 degrees Celcius ,surprise the power steering is working again. I hope someoane will help me with this problem ,cheers !!

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
Digging this Thread up again also...

The RED Steering Wheel Symbol is ON.

After an engine swap (2008 EOS with 2.0T), there is zero Power Steering. VCDS will not communicate with the controller. Yes, the battery was out for over two weeks and was weak. We slow charged it for about an hour and then started the new engine. I've saved and cleared all DTCs. After driving the car for over 30 miles and numerous starts and restarts, there are only two DTCs, 01309 related to the PS and the other code is the Engine Temp Sensor which is totally unrelated.

So, today, I plan to inspect the wiring harness of the PS system from beginning to end to see if a ground was left loose or a connector got unplugged accidently. The engine was an easy "in and out" as far as a tight fit or banging around. Thus, nothing in the area of the PS was banged to have caused this issue.

I will update if and when I find the problem..

Henrick

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Start by checking the fuse to PS. There is a chance the power cable contacted chassis and causing a short

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
Problem solved... apparently I missed the big brown ground wire near the end of the battery case!

PS now works great!