Little help - fuel filter canister reasembly

LargeMarge

TDI
Jetta, 2006, black
Hi,

When re-assembling my fuel filter canister and cycling the key to purge the air from it, I'm actually getting fuel shooting out the front of the canister under a little tab (slightly raised portion) in the front of the canister instead of through the bleeder screw.

I checked the supplied gaskets, to make sure they were seeded correctly and snugged the cap down evenly. This is kinda baffeling me as everything went so easily up till this.

Help is appreciated.

lildevildee

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta w/6spd manual
Most likely, the green o-ring is installed incorrectly. I made this mistake too...but the car went in to the dealer for warranty work and they fixed it. I should have paid attention to the o-ring when I pulled it out!

LargeMarge

TDI
Jetta, 2006, black
the green o-ring fits around the lid of the fuel filter canister. when i took the canister lid off the vacuum built up sucked the o-ring down and i thought it went around the filter's top (it has a groove in it like it would do that) so that's what i attempted to do.

moral of the story is that the green o-ring goes around the lid. :)

oh yeah for those having issues getting the filter out of the canister, push down (it's spring loaded) and turn the filter a quarter turn (either clockwise or counter-clockwise) and the filter will lift out with minimal effort. In hindsight, I wouldn't bother removing the canister at all since really, the twist and tug method for removing the filter is very quick and clean way of doing it.

either way, hopefully this thread can help someone else. :)

Tim Birney

Veteran Member
TDI
05.5 TDI
LargeMarge said:
the green o-ring fits around the lid of the fuel filter canister. when i took the canister lid off the vacuum built up sucked the o-ring down and i thought it went around the filter's top (it has a groove in it like it would do that) so that's what i attempted to do.

moral of the story is that the green o-ring goes around the lid. :)

oh yeah for those having issues getting the filter out of the canister, push down (it's spring loaded) and turn the filter a quarter turn (either clockwise or counter-clockwise) and the filter will lift out with minimal effort. In hindsight, I wouldn't bother removing the canister at all since really, the twist and tug method for removing the filter is very quick and clean way of doing it.

either way, hopefully this thread can help someone else. :)

Sticky this one!

Now, once again, do both of you have over 20,000 miles on your cars?

lildevildee

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta w/6spd manual
Tim, I have 17k. I changed out the filter at 10k as a precaution because of a possible tank of bad bio and then again about 200 miles ago at 17k when I was dealing with my whole A5 dead stuff :)

Although that little tip of push and turn is quite nice; makes me want to go try it out now!!!!

slagona

TDI
2006 Jetta
I checked the Bentley Manual - does not mention the push down and turn method of removing the filter, which doesn't surprise me. Doesn't mention anything about bleeding the system either. It does state that the "Bleeder Connection" that some of you have on your fuel filter canister is actually for draining water, not removing air from the system.

Remove the screw, attach adapter, suck out 100ml of diesel and you've drained the water from the system. Those of us that do not have this "Bleeder Screw" do not require the Water Draining Procedure.....

scknight

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI 6MT
Not sure how the bleeder screw on the top would get rid of water unless it was on the bottom.

I have the bleeder screw (top), and there WAS water in the bottom of canister. I poured the diesel out into a plastic container, then when done, I poured most of the diesel back into the container and threw out the diesel and water left in the container.

And for anyone wondering at 20K my fuel filter was jet black (D2 only run)yes, I did the same thing with the double O ring. Kinda made a mess - oh well live and learn.

and Yes, Tim I have over 20K on my TDI, LOL You really have to stop modding that car of yours, and get out and drive it. j/k- Thanks for helping so many of us with documenting your mods.

slagona

TDI
2006 Jetta
My thoughts exactly. I'm not too impressed with the Bentley Manual. The strange thing is the two different systems (bleeder and non-bleeder screw) are exactly the same exept for the screw. Why does one have the "water drain" as the manual states, and the other doesn't?????

Secondly, having a water drain on the top of the canister that reqiures a suction device of some sort doesn't seem like a great design. However, the manual clearly states that the screw is a "sealing bolt for water extraction".

Another interesting point in the fuel system is the fuel cooler. There are tandem supply and return lines - thus 4 connections to the fuel filter. One return line goes to the pump. The other return line goes to the fuel cooler (located under the vehicle, covered by the underbody plasic panels) and then back to the tank. I wonder what the airflow is like where the cooler is located...... At least it does have a fuel cooler....

LargeMarge

TDI
Jetta, 2006, black
Yes, I have 20k miles on my Jetta. Love it.

Btw, don't completly remove the bleeder screw when cycling the key or you'll end up with a gyser of fuel instead of a "little seeping" ...

Not that I'd know from experience or anything. =p

(did I mention that warm water mixed with a light dish detergent takes off over spray from diesel fuel really well?)

fixer

Veteran Member
TDI
2005.5/Jetta/5M/Reflex Silver
Glad I found this thread, I have 19,900 and plan to do my 20k service tomorrow. I love my car.

WillR

Veteran Member
So let me see if I got this right.
Open the top of the filter (looks like torx screws?)
push down on filter, then turn a 1/4 turn and lift it out.
Use Pella to suck any water out of bottom of fuel filter
Put new filter into housing
Add diesel to cover filter
Make sure Green O ring goes on outside of cover
crack the bleed screw, then what?

Does the A5 now have a fuel lift pump? Should I bump the key to start position (but not long enough to let it start), then let it relax to run and the lift pump will run for 30 seconds (like my Dodge diesel does?)

Chico

TDI
Jetta 1998 white
Been looking for the explanation of the extra screw with the washer. Water suction drain? There has got to be a way to drain the water, I am assuming that removing the screw allows the pressure to push the water out of the bottom of the filter.

Changed my filter at 28K miles, coal black, and had the engine changing speeds while ideling at a red light. I prefered the older style that was on my 98 TDI. Did not get so much diesel on everything, and could drain the water easily.

Still think that if I add a hose from the drain screw, started the engine for three seconds, then the water would be pushed out.

any thoughts?

Chico

weedeater

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta, 2001, Baltic Green
first of all, I don't have one of these.

Usually when there is a screw on the top there is a drain on the bottom. The screw is to make the draining easier. Makes you wonder why they did not put one in.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Some have the screw and some don't. Bentley says to suction out the water every 10,000 miles if you do. If you don't have it, do nothing until the filter is changed then dump the water while changing.

Chico

TDI
Jetta 1998 white
Changing the filter, i.e., lifting it out, would leave any water in the bottom of the canister, you cannot get it out just by pulling the filter, cause only the filter and its contents come out. Cannot believe you have to suction the fuel out, if the lid is still on the fuel canister, how is the suction suppose to work, there would be no way for the suction to get the water out unless there is a way to replace it with more fuel or air. Adding air doesn't make sense either. I cannot belive that suction would go all the way back to the tank for replacment fluid.

I still fuel at the same locations I used with the old 98 TDI and I had some, not much, but some water on ocassion. Draining out the bottom was a pain because of the pan on the bottom and the limited space to add a hose and catch can. Pushing out the top with the fuel pump seems reasonable with a hose to a catch can outside of the car.

I may try this approach this weekend. I belive if you were to use suction, there would have to be another screw to allow air in.

Chico

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Well the Bentley mentions some adapter. Maybe a needle of some sort to stick in there. When changing the filter, the housing is easily removed from the car and dumped/cleaned and replaced. Probably just dumping and cleaning every 20,000 miles like it says to do for the no screw model would be okay.

Chico

TDI
Jetta 1998 white
I would not recommend taking the canister out and dumping it out, then replacing without filling it with diesel. You would put too much air into the system and make it really hard to start.

hutchman

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI Pkg 1, 5 Spd, Graphite Blue / 2002 Jetta GLS, Black w/tan leather
You don't want to fill it with anything because it could go straight to the injectors! Bad!

Just did my 20k service and you have someone turn the key while you watch for fuel to come out the top then tighten it. You can hear the pump whine while it is filling it up. I had my wife turn the key on and off a few times just for good measure.

Car started first crank and never missed a beat! Can't say that for my A4 and I did pre-fill it through the "T" hole and it still died once.

Chico said:
I would not recommend taking the canister out and dumping it out, then replacing without filling it with diesel. You would put too much air into the system and make it really hard to start.

hutchman

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI Pkg 1, 5 Spd, Graphite Blue / 2002 Jetta GLS, Black w/tan leather
Just turned over 21k on ours! We drive it like it's hot!

Tim Birney said:
Both of you have over 20,000 miles on your cars?

Chico

TDI
Jetta 1998 white
Finally got to try removing the vent screw and bumped the key, the fuel drained out very easily. Note, a 5/16 fuel line fits nicely over the vent and you can direct the fuel to a can. Now I use SUNOCO fuel where there is a high volume and did not notice any water in what I got out.

Prometheus

TDI
2006 5spd Jetta
I just perfomed my 20k service. Does anyone else have a blob of black stuff on the head of their bleed screw? Yes it was not some crud or diesel buildup. This blob was intentionally placed there. I think this is some sort of tamper guard possibly done by the dealer? Anyway knocked that off and did the fuel filter swap. I choose to extract the fuel in the canister. Not 100% certain but the bottom half inch did appear to be water. It was certainly a much clearer liquid then the rest of the canister. After inserting the new filter, I put a bit of Standyne in and primed by turning the key part way. Tightened the bleed screw down and started right up with no problems. I can notice the difference post 20k service. Things just seem a bit smoother. :)

MPGeez!

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Black TDI 5M PK2
My bleed screw had the same blob. I wondered about that too, but I picked it out and proceeded as you did. I didn't prime with anything other than cycling the key a few times.

Tturbo

I dont have a bleed screw, so how am I suppose to get the air out of the system?

Prometheus

TDI
2006 5spd Jetta
Tturbo said:
I dont have a bleed screw, so how am I suppose to get the air out of the system?
I am curious about this as well. I do have the bleed screw, but if I did not I was wondering what the others would do? Is it a more involved process where simply drilling and tapping your own bleed screw would be a nice time saver?

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Prometheus said:
I am curious about this as well. I do have the bleed screw, but if I did not I was wondering what the others would do? Is it a more involved process where simply drilling and tapping your own bleed screw would be a nice time saver?
I believe you just put the top back on and cycle the key on and off a few times and then start it. I think the air is pushed out to the fuel return line back to the tank.

suparag

Veteran Member
TDI
None now.
LargeMarge,

When you tightened the top lid, did you follow the instructions on Bentley, to tighten the 5 screws alternatively (like tightening the lug nuts on a wheel). If not, the lid will be sitting cockeyed and might damage the o-ring. You may want to get a new o-ring and try it.

Suparag

2005.5JEDI

TDI
2005.5 Jetta
Bleed Screw?

I am new to the forum. I have a 2005.5 Jetta and it is by far the best car I have owned. I do have the extra screw on top of the fuel canister and all I can find out about it is that it is a drain port to suck water out of the cannister. VW calls out a special vaccum pump. There should be no need to bleed the system with the electric fuel pumps used in todays cars, but hey if it works for you why change?

Biggest pain so far was changing the cabin air filter.

Best mileage was 52mpg!