Jetta Front License Plate Bracket Installation

NewToTDI

TDI
2001 Jetta GLS
I've been searching the archives for the instructions for installing the front license plate holder on a Jetta TDI without much luck. Could someone please post the link.

Thank you.

RichC

Veteran Member
TDI
Others: 82 MB 300D Turbodiesel & 2010 BMW X5 35D
I don't have link for you but have a question that might get answered while others view this thread. I have the black plastic plate that fits US plates on the front bumper. I have 4 screws holding my license plate in place, YET when going through a car wash the whirling brushes bend my license plate 90 degrees everytime. Any stiffer or cover that other have found to attach around the plate that works???

jasonTDI

TDI GURU Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
20' RAM 3500 CCLB dually HO/Aisan. 2019 Cherokee 2.0T
The plate holder just screws through the bumper cover. That's all. Make sure you get it good and square first though.

nolongerhonda

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2003, Black
The Canadian model has a black plactic frame that the plate mounts to. This frame is form fitting to the bumper cover and actually sits quite flush. I would check with the dealer they should have a part listed I would imagine.

MOGolf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf GLS TDI Reflex silver, rough road suspension and steel skid plate, 2004 Passat Variant, Candy White, rough road suspension and geared balanced shaft module, and much, much more. 2016 LR RR HSE TD6, 2019 Jaguar I-PACE

nolongerhonda

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2003, Black
yeah that's the one. in New Brunswick it is the law that we run front plates so they are all equipped from the dealer. I received two tickets in the past for not having a front plate...friggin police..

paramedick

TDIClub Enthusiast, Vendor
TDI
2015 Audi Q5 TDI
Rich, I have metal one for the A3 Jetta sitting here. Just walked outside and test-fitted it to the 03 Golf. Fits decently.

Differences are the screws go in the bumper just below the rub strip, and has two legs that go under the bumper and are fastened from underneath. Has a lip that completely surrounds the license plate to prevent bending. Substantial metal, painted black.

Part # 1HM807997. Around $10 at IMPEX.

RichC

Veteran Member
TDI
Others: 82 MB 300D Turbodiesel & 2010 BMW X5 35D
Thanks Bruce ... that is what I've been thinking too. I've own a couple of those "I'd rather be..." type plate surrounds in the past and was wondering if they would add enough stiffness to prevent bending? What I do dislike about most of them is that they get rather pitted easily and tend to make cleaning the bugs off one step harder.

I've been contemplating a backing plate to my front plate that would crimp the outside edges to keep from 'flipping 90 degrees' when a brush whirls at it. Either that or never use that $4.00 'desalting' car wash again! /images/graemlins/grin.gif

J H Musser

TDI
2006 Jetta Sedan-sold
TDI Power,
Could you provide some more info on your license plate set up? Did you make it, did you buy it, if so where. Thanks in advance.

T_D_I_POWER

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'04 VW PASSAT GLS TDI '06 Audi A4 q Avant 6-Spd Sport Pkg
Thx for asking

The plate is B5 license plate bracket. I bought it from a vw vortex member for $20.00. Search the web, VW/Audi forums as they are cheaper.

The license plate clear cover I got it from wallyworld. To install clear cover to license plate bracket, I used 4-2" L no.8 or 10 stainless pan head Philip machine screws, 4-no.8 or 10 stainless nuts, and 4-2" no.8 or 10 stainless oversized fender washers.
I placed the fender washers behind the two horizontal slats as you can see from the picture no.2 above.

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
There are a number of other front plate mounting options that do not require drilling or punching holes into your bumper. You can wire-tie it to a grill or several companies make front license plate brackets that screw into the tow hook holes already in the bumpers of most cars. A search for front license plate will discover several threads about the various options you have.

Have Fun!

Don