ULSD impact on fuel economy

spoilsport

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 Golf GLS Silver (Sold). 2005 Jetta TDI Wagon Tiptronic (daughter's)
Could be more than that for our rides. A lot of TDI members using CARB diesel have lost a coupla mpg.

I'm gonna run the Delvac1 out until ULSD is fully on board, then I'll switch to Elf to regain the expected drop in fuel economy.

Either the Evolution CRV 0w-30, or the FullTech 0w-30 should help.

wny_pat

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Jetta TDI
And this may not affect us at all. The new 2007 Cat engines with their double turbos are less fuel efficent than the old ones. My neighbor brought a new one last fall and ordered the old style engine for that very reason. The new one was only rated to get 3 miles per gallon, where his gets about 6 mpg. Think it is the same with Detroit and Cummins.

Audi5000TDI

Banned
TDI
Passat, 1996, Grey
You can get your answer from Ernie in the Monthly MPG contests... when he drives from SLC to California, he burns Philipps Conoco LSD, when he drives from Fresno, CA to SLC, he burns Valero ULSD. I don't think he is seeing any major losses, certainly not anything measurable compared to all the other variables like head winds and tailwinds and elevation changes.

The ULSD we get here in California is rated at 53 cetane or better.

Drivbiwire

Zehntes Jahr der Veteran
TDI
2013 Passat TDI, Newmar Ventana 8.3L ISC 3945, 2016 E250 BT, 2000 Jetta TDI
Fuel economy will go up for the 2007 model year cars! ULSD allows the elimination of EGR, more advanced timing due to the NOx traps!

Current cars will more than likely not see any change other than lower engine noise and longer oil drain intervals which should offset all negative impacts to fuel economy in terms of cost.

DB

no-blue-screen

TDI Nut
TDI
TDI
From what I have read, this is accurate. 1% though is a minimal loss though. Certainly worth it given the items drivbiwire has pointed out and hopefully this will also help with or eliminate intake clogging.

tikal

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Passat Wagon (chainless + 5 MT + GDE tune)
Minimum cetane?

Audi5000TDI said:
You can get your answer from Ernie in the Monthly MPG contests... when he drives from SLC to California, he burns Philipps Conoco LSD, when he drives from Fresno, CA to SLC, he burns Valero ULSD. I don't think he is seeing any major losses, certainly not anything measurable compared to all the other variables like head winds and tailwinds and elevation changes.

The ULSD we get here in California is rated at 53 cetane or better.
Will there be a nationwide minimum cetane rating with ULSD?

Smokerr

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat Wagon GL,2005,Silver
We are not ULSD yet, but its all ULSD going into the tanks now. For the first time ever they have the LSD (500 or less) signs on the pumps.

Fuel mileage is improving, I attriubte that to the crappy 1,000 ppm sulfur fule we had up here (special Alaska exemption). The good stuff is burning a whole lot better.

No difference in stop and go traffic (rush hour stuff and hitting lights), but better at all other times.

moondawg

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Galactic Blue Jetta
I work for a large diesel mfg (not CAT and not Detroit :^).... the loss of MPG attributable to ULSD we're seeing is about .75% on average

There may be up to 2% loss attributable to aftertreatment for '07. This is in the HeavyDuty market segment. (11-15L)

vwrobert51

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon
i just filled up with freshly delivered ULSD and noticed car started to run a little better and it seemed to have more power? will watch my mileage and see if its better, I was told that the p/d engines will work better with the ULSD from my contact at emmisions lab. i am also going to clean off my egr valve and watch soot build up as it goes along, will report findings later.:cool:

tdijerry

Veteran Member
TDI
2000/ beetle/sliver
ulsd fuel

i fill my beetle 2000 tdi up last week with bp 500 ppm diesel fuel on the pump's.i read on the forum that ulsd didnt smell as bad as the 500 ppm diesel fuel so ever time i could i stood at the back of my car to see if i could smell the diesel.now in the past when standing near the rear of my car it had a strong diesel smell but sent's filling up last week with bp i have not smelled the diesel fuel like i have in the past.i don't know maybe the wind was blowing the other way or something i don't know but this is strange never been like this before.well i top off again today with bp. :confused:

Long_Range

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta Sedan GL 2004
tdijerry said:
will ulsd fuel clean your fuel system like biodiesel will ? :confused:
No.
However;; it will negate the need for future cleaning under normal operating conditions.

In the perfect America we would run ULSDF plus 2% biodiesel. IMHO

stu4rtparker

When I switched to ULSD 10 years ago(in the UK)my MPG increased, as ULSD cleaner burning.
ULSD will not clean your fuel system like BD.