Future US/Canada TDI Engine/Transmissions

doolin98

1.Is Volkwagen planning to import any other diesel engines for the Golf in the future? If so, what are the hp/ftlbs ratings?

2. What is the likelyhood that the 5-Speed Tiptronic might be offered in the TDI?

I have always loved the Golf MkIV, but VW of NA has decided that those who want 4-door Golfs to haul more people should have less hp and torque (ie. no 150pd, 150hp diesel V6, or 1.8t ex.2001 with four doors).

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
1. That's anybody's guess, but I'd wager that any replacement for the 90hp would probably be the 100hp P-D engine (see TDIFAQ), not anything stronger. The current distributor-pump engine is a "known quantity" here, as opposed to the P-D which will be an unknown, so I wouldn't use this as an excuse to wait for something else.

2. I would say slim to no chance.

kwhiner

Veteran Member
TDI
'00 Golf GLS Silver
Chatted with parts guy at local dealer this morning and his sources say the 100PD will come in '04 with the next generation of G/Js, biggest uncertainty is the ULSD fuel sooner we get it universaly the sooner we will get the better engines. He did say the Phaeton and the new SUV would have the V-10 TDI motor in NA.

prsa01

Veteran Member
TDI
14 jsw 6m, 96 B4v, miss my a4 :(
What about a CVT offering? Would the TDI have too much torque for that?

RED

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 TDI 4dr GOLF 6sp MAN
For what it is worth I just received the latest automobile magazine (August 2002) and they write about the fifth generation golf platform and at the bottom of the article they list powertrains for North America. On the list is a "2.0-liter direct-injection turbo-diesel 4-in-line 136hp, 236lb-ft, six-speed manual or five-speed automatic transmission"

spoilsport

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 Golf GLS Silver (Sold). 2005 Jetta TDI Wagon Tiptronic (daughter's)
I believe Audi's 3.0 V6 is the strongest engine available with CVT. It's rated at:
Horsepower: 220hp @ 6300 rpm
Torque: 221ft-lbs. @ 3200 rpm

So we're in the ballpark !

Originally posted by prsa01:
What about a CVT offering? Would the TDI have too much torque for that?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">

doolin98

Thanks Everyone.

Between RED and spoilsport posts, it looks like a 130, 220 with five-speed auto could happen without an increase in our fuel quality.

blue909

Veteran Member
Every year, someone's convinced that next year we'll finally get stronger TDIs in N.A.. One year, someone will be right... maybe. But I wouldn't hold my breath if I were you.

blue909

spoilsport

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 Golf GLS Silver (Sold). 2005 Jetta TDI Wagon Tiptronic (daughter's)
Originally posted by doolin98:
Thanks Everyone.

Between RED and spoilsport posts, it looks like a 130, 220 with five-speed auto could happen without an increase in our fuel quality.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Hey, wait a minute. I just posted information regarding VWAG motors with CVT. Even if a CVT is in the stars for stronger TDIs, we won't see them in N.A. until better diesel is available. PERHAPS the PD-100, but I really can't see why.

blue909

Veteran Member
Yes, I have to agree with spoilsport... simply because VWAG has put a high-torque-capable CVT transmission in some Audi models doesn't really improve the chances of seeing a similar unit in a VW anytime soon, let alone a TDI. Just because the CVT exists that could handle the torque of some TDI plants doesn't mean that VW has any particular reason to make that comnination available, especially to consumers in the US, where TDIs make up a tiny percentage of all VW sales and an infinitesimal percentage of overall auto sales as a whole.

If the A5 Golf does come to NA with a 136 hp TDI in the states as has been apparently reported in Automobile magazine recently, I'd be interested in buying it to replace my A4 provided that the body was a bit stiffer than the current car (a weak point of all A4s IMHO,,, tho' improved from earlier VWs). However, from so much of what's been reported here, it's hard to see how such an engine would run properly/have emissions and component longevity with the high-sulphur diesel mostly available throughout the US. And remember, USLSD is only expected to arrive here in '06-7, and you never know what our oil-indebted administration might do to delay this, given how opposed the oil industry seems to be to ANY kind of cleaner fuels.

I'd like to see more powerful TDIs and 6 speed manuals and CVTs in VWs over here.. but I'm not going to hold my breath waiting for them to arrive.

blue909