Chevy Cruze Diesel a direct competitor to the Jetta TDI

Status
Not open for further replies.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
This guy seemed pretty excited about it, and pretty genuine to me. I hope he is right! I was a bit saddened he could not give any confirmation on a diesel Colorado, which will be built right in our backyard in Wentzville, MO.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=360460
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=343659
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=309257
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=309022
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=351859
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=324685

Another year goes by and it didn't make it to the Detroit Auto Show. Neither did the Mazda 6 diesel or the Cadillac ATS diesel.

Nowhere in any of the links in that article does it confirm or even suggest a Chicago debut other than Autoblog name-dropping it - Chevy has not confirmed that in writing, either.

gulfcoastguy

Veteran Member
TDI
TDI sold, Mazda 3 purchased
The scarce VW dealerships and service departments is why I can't recommend VW to my relatives a 100 miles away. What good is the 3 years free service if you have to make a 200 mile round trip for it? But there is a Chevy dealership in every podunk town. Now that doesn't necessarily mean a qualified mechanic but at least they are going the Adblue route like the Passat did so maybe they won't be blowing their fuel system up.

tlhfirelion

TDI
None
Feb. 8 Chevy Cruze Diesel debuted at Chicago auto show.

I read this online on a GM site and cruze site. Apparently it'll be the 2.0 liter engine, 168 Hzp 268 lb ft of torque. I read a 700 mile range per tank with a 52 mpg highway as the goal. Late April is the "on the lot" date. Of course all of the above may be shot all to hades when the actual info is released. I've been gun shy at buying another GM product, I've questioned their reliability and longevity in the past. If this engine does the above, I may run to the dealer and finally put my Honda out to pasture. I'm curious how they can produce more power AND better MPG then a Comparable VW.......guess only time will tell.

Jayg

Veteran Member
TDI
'12 Jetta 6MT-VW bought back as a lemon
I think its funny the EPA estimates of VW diesels are usually WAY lower of what they are actually capable of but GM might get 52 hwy on the sticker? I'll believe it when I see it.

Granted I really like the diesel Cruze idea and I hope they succeed but it seems like a little slanted.

MrMopar

Top Post Dawg
TDI
none
I'll believe it when I start seeing commercials for it on TV.. They will promote the snot out of it if they are bringing it here..
Eh . . . I'm not so sure of that.

GM still has plenty of people alive that remember the self-induced scorn of prior 1980s diesel purchasing customers. They will have to wait for the Baby Boomers and Generation Xers to be completely dead or senile before that fiasco vanishes from the collective conscience.

This will probably be a soft sell by GM. They will introduce them under the radar and let the diesel customers come to them, or soft sell on the sales lots. But I will make a small wager that they don't widely advertise this car because of their prior poor reputation.

VeeDubTDI

TDI
The Cruze doesn't exactly have a glittery reputation right now as it is - there aren't exactly crowds of people clamoring to buy them (nor were there ever). They'll have to do some sort of advertising just to get people in the door to look at them or they'll never sell them... perhaps that would be a self-fulfilling prophecy on Lutz's part. ;)

The specs right now are definitely impressive, but again - call me cynical - I'll believe it when I see it.

MrMopar

Top Post Dawg
TDI
none
The Cruze doesn't exactly have a glittery reputation right now as it is - there aren't exactly crowds of people clamoring to buy them (nor were there ever).
See, this too. Maybe I'm just an incredibly huge cynic, but I just expect the basic small car sold by GM to be a POS with a cheap sticker price. I lived through two decades of the Cavalier and Cobalt.

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke

Chris Tobin

Veteran Member
TDI
'06 Jetta TDI
I'd definitely like to slide behind the wheel of one!!! I really hope we have another somewhat affordable Diesel car available here in the US, it kills me that most of them are priced out of the range of most people!!!

I loved the BMW 335d, but will probably never be able to afford one. I like the look of the Cruze and would definitely consider one. I hope to at least get a chance to drive a media one for a review...

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
I think Autoblog is a lazy publication, regurgitating press releases to create virtual ink. No evident homework done by their writers. Typical. They also say there's going to be a diesel Cadillac ATS, which is even more of a stretch than the Cruze.

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
While I grew up in New England, of Connecticut decent, I have visited a location or two in that area that I was sure were actually Podunk, or at least, considered to be worthy of that name.

But now in Texas, having searched for the elusive town or village of Podunk, I have not encountered the place, but have found the book.

http://podunktexas.com/

We do have some Chevy dealers, but most just sell trucks here.:rolleyes:

Last edited:

VeeDubTDI

TDI
I think Autoblog is a lazy publication, regurgitating press releases to create virtual ink. No evident homework done by their writers. Typical. They also say there's going to be a diesel Cadillac ATS, which is even more of a stretch than the Cruze.
I think you hit the nail on the head, Peter.

gulfcoastguy

Veteran Member
TDI
I haven't been to all of the locations called Podunk, but I've been through most in the Northeast, and the Chevy dealers are definitely not in every one up here.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Podunk
There are 2 (two) VW dealerships in my entire state. I can't recall offhand a single town of more than 10,000 population that doesn't have a Chevy dealership in the town in the state. You really ought to work on vocabulary and dialects if you had to wiki podunk.

Chris Tobin

Veteran Member
TDI
'06 Jetta TDI
DI common rail, probably Bosch pump. Urea injection and DPF for emissions. If they do like the Duramax engineers they will tune for power and economy and let the emissions equipment take care of the emissions output...

psd1

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta 2013 Passat SE 6Man
I hope they make it work, I'm not a GM fan and also find it interesting that VW diesels tend to ouperform the EPA numbers and feel pretty confident that the GM will get preferential treatment when it comes to ratings.

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
The wiki reference was to show that "Podunk" isn't an imagined fantasy, but that the place(s) truly exist. I don't expect that you'd take my word, thinking that I'm the delusional one that has convinced myself that such a place exists, and it's for that reason that I linked the wiki article.
Your use of the term Podunk, as an attempted disparagement, is a sign of your ignorance of the fact that there are many Podunks. I'm personally not seriously offended, but I know residents of the Podunk village in my county that would be.

WutGas?

Veteran Member
TDI
The Last Real Jetta Sedan
Those people should write Merriam Webster then because Podunk is defined by them as a small, unimportant, and isolated town.

gulfcoastguy

Veteran Member
TDI
The wiki reference was to show that "Podunk" isn't an imagined fantasy, but that the place(s) truly exist. I don't expect that you'd take my word, thinking that I'm the delusional one that has convinced myself that such a place exists, and it's for that reason that I linked the wiki article.
Your use of the term Podunk, as an attempted disparagement, is a sign of your ignorance of the fact that there are many Podunks. I'm personally not seriously offended, but I know residents of the Podunk village in my county that would be.
And the point of your extensive research? I also know towns called Hot Coffee and Soso. The Sosoians don't get all self rightous when somebody says "Eh? It's so so"

gulfcoastguy

Veteran Member
TDI
Those people should write Merriam Webster then because Podunk is defined by them as a small, unimportant, and isolated town.
Thanks, that reminds me of the time an anal retentive boss of mine read a report of mine and told me that there was no such word as bulldozer. A Merriam Webster just happened to be two feet away. Maybe not a smart move on my part but M.W. doesn't just take definitions from anybody with a puter.

Power_Not_Speed

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta
And the point of your extensive research? I also know towns called Hot Coffee and Soso. The Sosoians don't get all self rightous when somebody says "Eh? It's so so"

I'm not sure what the reaction of residents in Humptulips, Washington would be but I doubt the subject comes up very often. There may more enthusiasm in Hoh Head, about 100 miles away.

Oberkanone

Top Post Dawg
TDI
13 Jetta TDI Premium manual "gone"
$25,695

:eek:
General Motors will re-enter the diesel car market this summer for the first time in 27 years with the 2014 Cruze Clean Turbo Diesel.
The Cruze’s 2.0-liter turbocharged diesel engine produces an estimated 148 horsepower and returns 42 mpg in highway driving, according to GM.
Company officials wouldn’t reveal volume estimates for the new model, which goes on sale in June at a starting price of $25,695.
:eek:

We should know within 2 days if the info. I posted above is accurate.
Price too high and mpg too low IMO.

tscottt

TDI
sold: 1998 NB TDI 5-spd
Seems much more realistic than the 168 hp, 52 mpg hwy. I agree, price is a bit high since the Passat is right around there and is significantly larger. Transmission, specs, and options obviously will come into play, but the Cruze Eco has a manual so maybe the Diesel will start there also. I won't buy it, but I'll be watching.

Status
Not open for further replies.