Injection pump question

davidschroeder

TDI
none
I'm having some problems with a rough start when the car has been sitting for 8 - 10 hours and it also smokes quite a bit. I have recently replaced my maf, new injectors from kerma tdi, new vacuum lines, and turbo actuator. I think my injection pump might be going out. The car does have 310,000 miles on it. The Injection quantity jumps around from 3.4 all the way to 4.6 when it is warm. From what I understand that is bad and it shouldn't jump around more than .5 Would replacing the injection pump head seal fix this up for me, or is it something internal to the pump?

Thanks,

dave

Powder Hound

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'00 Golf 4dr White 5sp, '02 Jettachero 5sp, Wife's '03 NB Platinum Gray auto(!)
You may be correct. The internal vane pump may be leaking or having a difficult time maintaining or even building the internal pressure that is needed to drive things like the advance solenoid.

There are other things that you ought to read about. 1) there is a case pressure regulator that may need to be fixed and 2) have you replaced the fuel filter recently?

Usually if the head seal or the quantity adjuster seals need replacement, they give themselves away by leaking.

davidschroeder

TDI
none
I did replace the fuel filter and that didn't fix the problem. I do not see any air in the lines. I looked up the case pressure regulator and will check it out. I'm going to replace the seals while I am in there too. I'm guessing they will need to be replaced after opening up the pump. I'll post an update after everything is replaced probably next weekend.