www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > Meetings/ GTG/ Regional Discussions > Atlantic Canada

Atlantic Canada Atlantic Canada Section. This section is for people in Atlantic Canada to discuss items more local to them.

Old May 4th, 2005, 05:42   #1
sportsguy
Veteran Member

Default Official Clutch Talk Thread

Quote:
Quote:
Im in on this. Time to get some research done on this VR/G60 setup and what kind of prices are involved.
A few possabilities i guess....
1) Dealer
2) Used/Junk yard...pick up stretch bolts from dealer
3) Dieselgeek
Mr cheap here is telling you to look for a local clutch rebuilding shop and have your clutch disk resurfaced with 4 pucks of Kevlar.

the 1999.5 only cars don't need a stronger clutch; they had the LUK clutch from the factory. ( I made a dyno at 360lb.ft with it)
Quote:
Quote:
Im in on this. Time to get some research done on this VR/G60 setup and what kind of prices are involved.
A few possabilities i guess....
1) Dealer
2) Used/Junk yard...pick up stretch bolts from dealer
3) Dieselgeek
Mr cheap here is telling you to look for a local clutch rebuilding shop and have your clutch disk resurfaced with 4 pucks of Kevlar.

the 1999.5 only cars don't need a stronger clutch; they had the LUK clutch from the factory. ( I made a dyno at 360lb.ft with it)
Not to be a party pooper, but I just got off the phone with Cottman Transmission. Joe suggested it might be cheaper to find a performance clutch online than to have mine resurfaced with Kevlar - he said he didn't even know who would be able to do it around here (not that that means much).

As well, he quoted me $320 (plus tax) for the install if I brought everything in - they'd include the fluid with the swap for that price.

I'll post up when I chat with Mr. Transmission and Mr. Plow...

These guys, ClutchCityOnline.com (based in Florida) have what I think we might want.

http://www.clutchcityonline.com/Sachs/OEM/vw_jetta.htm

1.9L - 99 - 03 - TDI, LuK Version 8 5/8" K70249-01 $265.00

Of course, that does not include a dual mass flywheel - but I have no idea if I even need that? Looks like close to $400 CDN after exchange, shipping and duty to get one here...

Quote:
Clean Chris...

I have some ideas that I don't want to talk about publicly (I'll explain why later). We'll meet up and talk about this soon.
I smell a mini-GTG coming next week to learn about this more...

OK, so I've copied from SMOG's suggestion on down over to here as it pertains to clutch talk.

Just got off the phone with Gary at Gary's Transmissions. great fellow - used to own a couple of built streetable drag cars, so he gets our ideas.

One point to remember - friction on the surfaces is important, but it's the weights that spin inside the tranny which create clamping force - which is what we need more of. When you add more of that clamping force, you increase the amount of pressure you need to push the clutch peddle in with, too - stiffer clutch is the bottom line - just keep that in mind, this IS a trade-off situation. I personally think it'll be fine, but we should all bear this in mind.

Next - Gary figures between $200 and $300 for the install - I'd liek to try, if possible, to set up a situation where, if one of more of us want to have the work done for us, we funnel the work to him - likely he'll offer us a group discount.

Next - there is no one currently east of Montreal who can make the mods SMOG suggested - bottom line, if we drop our clutches off at a shop, they ship them out of province to resurface them/install kevlar and the like.

Idea:

Do we know anyone in Germany? here's the thought - since the euro rigs have more grunt from the showroom floor, could we simply buy euro clutches and install those in out TDI's? Don't know what the costs would be, but if we know anyone over there, it might be worth getting the numbers crunched.

I'm going to phone RPI_Equipped today (they're in BC and ask them about some clutch options - they are the GODS of VW tuning on the West Coast - usually once or twice a year they have a car featured in European Car magazine - primarily watercooled, but they'll know something about our needs, too.

Duane

PS - $14.43 CDN = red TDI badges RPI-Equipped Euro Accessories
sportsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2005, 08:49   #2
Fyrman
Veteran Member

Default Re: Official Clutch Talk Thread

I've dealt with Gary before.... he WILL deal in cash and there's nothing wrong with his work.

I have no problem sending him business.
Fyrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2005, 09:09   #3
Smog

Default Official Clutch Talk Thread

Quote:
Next - there is no one currently east of Montreal who can make the mods SMOG suggested - bottom line, if we drop our clutches off at a shop, they ship them out of province to resurface them/install kevlar and the like.

give a call to mikez http://www.unitronic.ca/ tell him Smog sent you for the clutch disks
Smog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2005, 10:12   #4
sportsguy
Veteran Member

Just got off the phone with:

RPI Equipped in BC - Sachs Power Clutch and G60 Flywheel, they say, is the hot ticket for our needs

Clutch = $495 CDN
Flywheel = $295 CDN

with install at $300, shipping at $50 - this is a $1300 combo - that's crazy!!!

Dieselgeek - Jim, I think, was great - shipping to Canada is not a problem, despite what their website says. $525 gets the MkIV TDI/1.8T Sachs Single Mass Clutch Package w/Standard weight Flywheel and the 14 piece stretch bolt kit for transmission removal/replacement and Rear main seal with seal carrier kit. Add, let's say $50 USD for shipping, we're at roughly $700 CDN landed here (assuming Customs doesn't tag it with a fee).

Hillcrest/OEM

After a great chat with John at Hillcrest, I learned the low-down on what pieces we'll need (not news to anyone, but nice to have the list handy):

VR6 Pressure Plate
VR6 Clutch Disk
G60 Flywheel

Worked out to about $780 plus tax (and another $440 if we got the install done there) - $900 plus install, basically.

Damn - is there any way to keep this whole kit price around or under $600 CDN? Ideally, I'd like to keep the pieces under $400, allow $300 for the install and be done with it.

I guess it's off to eBay...
Old May 19th, 2005, 11:15   #5
Fyrman
Veteran Member

That's a lot of research time... What do you do at work??
Fyrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2005, 12:32   #6
sportsguy
Veteran Member

I'm a fireman, didn't you know?
Old May 19th, 2005, 12:53   #7
Slave2school
Veteran Member

Ah, maybe you could come down here and put out some of the hillbillies tire fires for me then...
Slave2school is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2005, 14:12   #8
Hoodie
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 02 Jetta TDI

Thanks for all the info Duane!!
For some reason I'm feelin DieselGeek on this one.
Might go with the lightweight fly but Im gonna read some posts on here and see what others thought of its' durability compared to stock weight.
Most definitly get Hillcrest to do the labour end of things.

PS- the rear skirt is on order, it's gonna be in Friday.
They want like $600 for the skirts though....probably go aftermarket with those.
I found these at around 300$USD...Im gonna keep lookin though
Hoodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2005, 14:25   #9
sportsguy
Veteran Member

Sweet look Hoods.

Call gary at Gary's Transmissioon before you get too carried away with the install end of htings. he quoted me $320 for the whole install...and he'd likely do a smidge better for cash...maybe better still if he knew multiple cars were coming...
Old May 19th, 2005, 14:48   #10
Hoodie
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 02 Jetta TDI

Word. Money is good. That is definitly an option.
Good for Gary too.
Hoodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2005, 17:35   #11
1.6td bunny

TDI(s): 2001 Jetta

Quote:
Ah, maybe you could come down here and put out some of the hillbillies tire fires for me then...
Hey now take it easy on us there hillbillies we just doin what we know.
1.6td bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2005, 18:02   #12
Slave2school
Veteran Member

:P
Slave2school is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2005, 18:18   #13
Snide
Veteran Member

Listen guys, I don't mean to rain on the parade here, but...

You don't need the G60 flywheel; it is so very close to being the same as the 2.0L flywheel in regards to the results we would have vs. one another. I have & Andrew has spoken to several VW guys who are VERY heavily involved with modifying VW's, much more so than any of us are, several are full time VW mechanics - the concensus is that the G60 flywheel would only be necessary if you were to upgrade to a larger turbo, a very advanced chip or ECU set up and quite a fair bit more.

Don't spend money you don't have to spend. Don't let me masses dictate what decision is best for you.

I just don't what to see you all run out and buy & spend $1000 on a new clutch set up as where you should be able to do it for under $600.

My $0.02 - again, I'd be happy to chat about this.

Cheers
Snide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2005, 03:13   #14
sportsguy
Veteran Member

Quote:
Listen guys, I don't mean to rain on the parade here, but...

You don't need the G60 flywheel; it is so very close to being the same as the 2.0L flywheel in regards to the results we would have vs. one another. I have & Andrew has spoken to several VW guys who are VERY heavily involved with modifying VW's, much more so than any of us are, several are full time VW mechanics - the concensus is that the G60 flywheel would only be necessary if you were to upgrade to a larger turbo, a very advanced chip or ECU set up and quite a fair bit more.

Don't spend money you don't have to spend. Don't let me masses dictate what decision is best for you.

I just don't what to see you all run out and buy & spend $1000 on a new clutch set up as where you should be able to do it for under $600.

My $0.02 - again, I'd be happy to chat about this.

Cheers
Thnaks DC - I actually recalled you mentioning this once during my research.

Didn't get quotes on it, as I figured an evening with you and Andrew, a few beers, etc was the next natural step in this research anyway.

I'd like to have a sit-down/stand-up/wander around/lean on a bench with you guys to figure this out.

I suppose now it's just a matter of when we all have time.
Old May 20th, 2005, 04:05   #15
aburchell44
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: I have a heavy foot!!!

I may have a line on the VR6 clutch kits, the 2.0L flywheel would be a different story.

As far as the install goes. If someone would help me I would do it at my shop when need be.

My A2 is a cinch to do, and the A4 is only heavier and a few more bolts.

Andrew
aburchell44 is offline   Reply With Quote