Ontario Drive Clean Emissions Testing

Craig

Veteran Member
My son is an auto mechanic and was recently certified to do emissions testing
here in Ontario. Diesel testing is by visual inspection. He said that today he did
two diesels, one was a 86 Jetta with 300,000 km. He drove it, reved it up, saw no
smoke so it passed. The other was 98 Jetta with TDI. Of course it passed also,
but he said the car has only 11,000 km on it. It was owned by an elderly lady who is transferring it to her daughter, and getting a new one.

Imagine a 4 year-old TDI with only 11,000 km!! Wow, that is less than 2,000 miles a year!

He has tested only two failures. One was a gas Jetta and the crappy injection system was pumping too much fuel into it. Score another one for the diesels.

Daryl

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta wagon 2004 Silver
Strang eh. Our TDI's are able to pass the same test as the gassers yet we only need to pass a quick visual. Makes life easy for us. A lot of gasser folks are getting dinged in order to bring there car up to spec and rightfully so.

Cheers

------------------
2001 Indigo Golf GL TDI 5spd...Epsilon in; Gunk Out!
I am a TDI Addict and there is no cure.

Mthiker

Veteran Member
Had my y2k Jetta tested in Nov 00 by the state of Connecticut by the opacity methed. They measured .4%, max allowed is 40%. I had about 25K miles on the car. I love it.

------------------
Mthiker
2000 Jetta TDI, Green
GLS, 5-Speed

[This message has been edited by Mthiker (edited February 06, 2001).]

Hyates

Veteran Member
TDI
SOLD
In BC, they dyno test the diesels with a hose running from the exhaust pipe to a machine that measure opacity.

Harry.

------------------
'00 Golf GLS TDI (19000 km +)