01 Audi TT Quattro Alh tdi swap

Bobob729

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta
So i have a 01 Audi TT Quattro with that i am swapping with my 2000 Vw Golf Tdi .

And here will be where all the photos will be when I start
http://s79.photobucket.com/user/matthunter1448/library/audi%20tt%20tdi%20conversion

I will be starting the swap here soon so any insight i could use.
First off for gearing i am getting a gears from a 02m fwd tdi tranny(ryanp) and swapping them with my awd 02m so i have the correct ratio for the tdi engine. At the same time i will be putting a peloquin diff in.
Engine is a direct swap in so that makes that simple, i will be upgrading the clutch as well
Next is wiring
Not really sure on this yet could use some help. From what i have read it's basically a direct swap but want to make sure before getting that far.
The tdi will have a immobilzer delete to make things more simple as well.
Fuel system i will be swapping everything from my golf from the fuel tank sender to the fuel filter, lines and all. to make it simple
Exhaust i will be using a downpipe from darksidedevelopments.co.uk
i will also in this venture be upgrading the turbo and fuel nozzles and hoping to make 200hp.
That's all for now pics will come soon when i start and hopefully more info so future people can do this like me.

Last edited:

Fix_Until_Broke

Top Post Dawg
TDI
03 Jetta, 03 TT TDI
Sounds like a cool project! I have a similar car that I bought which is an 03 with a PD engine, but didn't build it so all my comments are 2nd hand.

Unless your golf that you're taking the fuel tank from is an R32, I don't think that will work with your quattro setup. The quattro requires a special fuel tank and pump inside the tank to get over the driveshaft. The fuel tank in my TTq is the original gasoline tank. I'm pretty sure the pump is as well, though I'm remembering that the pump itself might have been switched out for the PD pump in the TT sending unit.

Make sure you get the quattro version of the downpipe from darkside
http://www.darksidedevelopments.co....t-downpipe-mk4-platform-4-motion-quattro.html

Regarding the wiring - since you're car is an 01 I think it will at least be in the same generation as the ALH you're putting in, however I don't know if they use the same ECU/connectors. I know it's possible to make the OEM Haldex controller work, but I don't know the specifics of what it took to make it all happen.

Here's the build thread for my car if that's of any help.

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=318071

Good luck!

Bobob729

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta
Sounds like a cool project! I have a similar car that I bought which is an 03 with a PD engine, but didn't build it so all my comments are 2nd hand.

Unless your golf that you're taking the fuel tank from is an R32, I don't think that will work with your quattro setup. The quattro requires a special fuel tank and pump inside the tank to get over the driveshaft. The fuel tank in my TTq is the original gasoline tank. I'm pretty sure the pump is as well, though I'm remembering that the pump itself might have been switched out for the PD pump in the TT sending unit.

Make sure you get the quattro version of the downpipe from darkside
http://www.darksidedevelopments.co....t-downpipe-mk4-platform-4-motion-quattro.html

Regarding the wiring - since you're car is an 01 I think it will at least be in the same generation as the ALH you're putting in, however I don't know if they use the same ECU/connectors. I know it's possible to make the OEM Haldex controller work, but I don't know the specifics of what it took to make it all happen.

Here's the build thread for my car if that's of any help.

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=318071

Good luck!
So yes I will be using the stock Audi tank but with the stock golf lines and such. And a pd pump later.
Downpipe. The link u posted is the one I was talking about.

Wiring. I am pretty sure the the same ecu connectors. But I was just planning on pulling my whole engine harness and such with the donor car. Unless thats not possible. Idk. That's kinda where I'm stuck at right now before starting this project. So.. hopefully I can get more insight from others if possible or. Maybe some wiring diagrams from the Audi. Which I can't seem to find for a 01 online anywhere for free... Might have to purchase a Bentley just for 10 pages lol

PB_NB

Veteran Member
TDI
1999 New Beetle
Check out HPA Motorsports. They are pretty knowledgeable with the all wheel drive systems and Haldex controllers.

I was drooling over their Beetle RSI conversions with ~600hp Twin Turbo VR6. If I had the bucket of cash, I'd be all over that. But the TDI has so much to offer over the gasser.

It is good to see that the ALH will bolt to the TT bell housing. It makes the swap much more manageable without having to engineer some mating parts. Wiring is fun and can be done with enough patience. Also, I can make my Beetle an all wheel drive with a TT drive train. :)

When I approached the ABA swap I had the engine wiring and fuse block from the 98 Golf so I plugged the connectors into the block and put power to the block. Almost everything fired up. I have a surplus of room so I could easily mount the extra block in the van. The nice part to this is that I ended up with a functioning OBDII port to diagnose the engine. I am sure that the TT doesn't have the same extra space but there may be a place to stuff the fuse block out of the way.

I found this to be a simpler way to get the engine running in a foreign environment. There may be a solution that takes part of this approach and mixes it with the existing fuse block.

Good luck with what will be a great finished product!

After all, isn't the TT, Audi's Beetle? :)

Bobob729

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta
So today i ordering my transmission from ryanp.. Next will be immobilizer delete from jetta ,97 Then order a new clutch (thinking i'm going with a southbend clutch) and rear main seal to fix my small oil leak i have from that. Then some new vacuum line and fuel filter.

vw_london01

TDIClub Contributor , Vendor
TDI
01 jetta pd150, TT Tdi Quattro, Touareg Tdi, mk5 Tdi, BMW 335d, Ram cummins
i did swap like that on my tt this year but i did arl engine, u cant just swap harness over will not work, u need to ad few wires inside tt, move some around and cut some, everything other then that its easy

Bobob729

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta
i did swap like that on my tt this year but i did arl engine, u cant just swap harness over will not work, u need to ad few wires inside tt, move some around and cut some, everything other then that its easy
So. My harness is pretty much the same I've been researching the diagrams and only need to add maybe three wires to make it work correctly other than that everything is the same. I will add more when I get to that route. Also. What did u do for fuel pump. Pd pump? Or stock mk4 lifter housing

vw_london01

TDIClub Contributor , Vendor
TDI
01 jetta pd150, TT Tdi Quattro, Touareg Tdi, mk5 Tdi, BMW 335d, Ram cummins
So. My harness is pretty much the same I've been researching the diagrams and only need to add maybe three wires to make it work correctly other than that everything is the same. I will add more when I get to that route. Also. What did u do for fuel pump. Pd pump? Or stock mk4 lifter housing

I got one from euro land from 4motion golf, but u can use pd pump also

Shenandoah

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta Wagon; 2005 Beetle; 2004 Jetta; 2002 Golf (three of them); 2002 Jetta Wagon; 2000 Audi TT->TDI; 1999 Beetle
Bobob729,

I'm following this. I've always wanted an Audi TT with a diesel. I've got an ALH motor sitting around. I'm looking for a 2000 - 2002 Audi TT with a bad motor (non Quattro) to drop the ALH in. Please post what all you have to do to get the ALH to work in the TT. Thanks!

Eric

Bobob729

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta
Bobob729,

I'm following this. I've always wanted an Audi TT with a diesel. I've got an ALH motor sitting around. I'm looking for a 2000 - 2002 Audi TT with a bad motor (non Quattro) to drop the ALH in. Please post what all you have to do to get the ALH to work in the TT. Thanks!

Eric
I will. Things should be a bit easier if you have a fwd considering you wont have to get a tranny from out of the states for the gears. You should be able to just use the stock 5 spd and direct bolt in. I will be posting more real soon

Bobob729

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta
got my transmission from ryanp in just 3 days from overseas to my door in 3 days of me ordering that's awesome will get pics when i un pack it

Bobob729

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta
just wanted to make a post on here, i'm still working on this will be pulling the engine this weekend on the golf and possibly tt depending on if my parts arrive. Got my ecu back from jetta, 97. So everything should go fairly smooth.

Bobob729

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta
Ya I've had it for years. The chassis is just really rusted from most of its life in new Hampshire sadly. That and I love the awd idea!

Bobob729

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta
K tdi engine is pulled

tt engine is pulled as well

when i pulled the engine i found out that the flywheel in the tt is bad (dual mass flywheel) sadly since i was going to use it on the tdi engine but now i'm stuck so i can't put it together untill i get a new clutch so i'm ordering that and the downpipe this weekend and hopefully will be able to get the engine in next weekend and up and running.

so for now i'll work on swapping to fuel lines and pump system and cut a bigger hole for the gas pump to fit

wiring i think it should be really simple according to the wiring diagrams but haven't got that far yet so... more to come soon

Bobob729

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta
So last night why I waited. I put the engine harness in the car and modded the golf ecu mount to clear the windshield wiper arm and still be usable but needs finished due to my welding helmet needing new battery.
The ecu location had to be moved due to wiring being shorter than the TT harness because the TT ecu mounts closer the the passenger side. Also made a spot for the alarm siren as well. I also added the white connector cover from the golf since the TT on is made into the harness.

Next I changed over the brake booster line from the golf.

The wiring looks as if everything will work. Just need to wire a glow plug relay. Because the plug for it is missing from the body harness. Will be testing everything else when engine is put in.

I also mounted the stock golf intercooler so I could use original piping. It mounts directly to stock mounts. No difference. Only issue I had here was the stock intercooler is a bit wider so I had to cut a hole in the fender brace for it to clear and now it's good no issues and didn't affect the strength of the brace

Shenandoah

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta Wagon; 2005 Beetle; 2004 Jetta; 2002 Golf (three of them); 2002 Jetta Wagon; 2000 Audi TT->TDI; 1999 Beetle
Bobob,

Looking good! I'm just getting ready to start a thread about my ALH -> Audi TT conversion. Question for you: Couldn't you just use the Audi TT intercooler for the ALH? I've also been going over the wiring differences between the Golf and the Audi TT. From what I can tell, a lot of the wiring is similar. It looks like some wiring changes need to be made on the Brown connector on the car side and the engine side?

Eric

Bobob729

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta
Bobob,

Looking good! I'm just getting ready to start a thread about my ALH -> Audi TT conversion. Question for you: Couldn't you just use the Audi TT intercooler for the ALH? I've also been going over the wiring differences between the Golf and the Audi TT. From what I can tell, a lot of the wiring is similar. It looks like some wiring changes need to be made on the Brown connector on the car side and the engine side?

Eric
I couldn't use the TT intercooler due to the inlet coming in on the opposite side due to twin intercoolers I probably could if I turned my turbo around to use the other pipes like that but not sure the cross pipe(between intercoolers) would clear the Ac compressor. Wiring I haven't got in depth yet. I'm gonna really scrub wiring to tonight on it. But from what I seen mainly just need glow plug relay wired in . Also wiring could be different for your car due to year difference possibly

TDI
2002 Golf GL 3door 5speed manual, 2003 Jetta GLS wagon 5 speed manual
I couldn't use the TT intercooler due to the inlet coming in on the opposite side due to twin intercoolers I probably could if I turned my turbo around to use the other pipes like that but not sure the cross pipe(between intercoolers) would clear the Ac compressor. Wiring I haven't got in depth yet. I'm gonna really scrub wiring to tonight on it. But from what I seen mainly just need glow plug relay wired in . Also wiring could be different for your car due to year difference possibly
Any updates on the build?

Rusty85

TDI
03 Golf ALH
Getting ready to start doing this swap, just picked up the 01 TT, the wiring has me concerned. Anyway you could give me some guidance there?

Shenandoah

Veteran Member
TDI
Rusty85,

My Audi TT was the FWD version, not the quattro. It was also a very early 2000 Audi TT. The 1.8l engine wiring harness did NOT match the wiring diagrams in the Audi TT Bentley manual. I ended up going through the 1.8l engine harness to figure out what I needed to move around on the 1.9l ALH engine harness.

You'll most likely have to do the same. I spent a good amount of time on wiring. Take your time, make some notes. It will work out.

Eric