2002 Jetta No start, No turnover any Ideas?

smoan

TDI
Mk 4 Jetta TDI Wagon
Hello,
I own a 2002 Jetta tdi wagon with 375,000 on it.

Just the other day I went to start the car and nothing happened in the engine compartment. All of the lights come on as normal.

From this I proceeded to see if the solenoid on the start was functioning and it wasnt. First by feeling the starter for it and then actually measuring the solenoid signal cable voltage for 12v. I also was able to turn the care over by applying 12v to the solenoid.

My First test was the clutch switch. I shorted the switch and still nothing happened. I also test the switch for continuity and no continuity in the respected positions.
From this I moved on to check the solenoid wire. I checked it visually and with my meter by probing into the insulation and checking continuity. Checked the wire right before the wire goes into the wrapped harness.

I then went on to the ignition switch. I test for 12v at the red wire, then tested for 12v coming out of the Red/Black wire in the start position. Are there any other wires that matter to turn the car over that I should test in this switch.

I'm slightly at a loss. I've checked what seems like the major parts of this circut and followed the guide from my chilton manual and a write up on here.

Here is the Guide: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showpost.php?p=1972354&postcount=5

I also believe the chilton manual wiring diagram is oversimplifying the circuit , could someone comment on the accuracy of this diagram?

I have also read that the security system could be interrupting the start circuit. Is there any way to test this?

Any Ideas on this? Any help is appreciated

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
Well it looks like a proper wiring diagram.
The security system should not interrupt the start circuit.

smoan

TDI
Mk 4 Jetta TDI Wagon
Where does the clutch switch effect the circuit. It isnt shown on the wiring diagram?

I found this diagram

It says its for a new beetle. It includes all of the circuitry the other wiring diagram seems to be lacking. Will this apply to my Jetta?

Curious Chris

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta Wagon 2003 RIP Rockford IL
Ah removing the solenoid wire from the starter, then key on, apply 12 volts to solenoid with any wire you have: the engine should crank for sure.

On my wife's 1998 2.0 too slow, her ignition switch failed and I wired a push button starter switch for her instead trying to remove the ignition switch.

smoan

TDI
Mk 4 Jetta TDI Wagon
I did try that and it for sure turned over. I have 12v going in the key switch and 12v going out so i have a feeling its not that switch. I have also read that they can partly go out and test like they are working but not actually work.

smoan

TDI
Mk 4 Jetta TDI Wagon
So i figured out my starting issue. I had a faulty ground on the starter cut off relay. I first tried to measure 12 volts on the input side of the relay and go like .5, and then i tried between the power and chassis ground and got 12v. I confirmed this by jamming a wire in the ground side and then grounding that wire to a known ground and it fired right up. Is there a good way to reground this?

Also during earlier stages of the night Attempted to ground a pin of the clutch switch connector. I mistakenly was looking at the cruise control switch and ran one of the wires to ground to see if it would fire. I assumed this would work because i was following the 98 beetle diagram. This resulted in a puff of smoke that seemed to come from the relay panel. I have feeling it might be something to do with cruise control but i am not sure.

I also found this super helpful youtube video that had the correct diagram, and i was able to find my problem. the chilton manual is oversimplified and doesnt give you enough to troubleshoot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TVKuCWDUMZQ