Ontario Emissions

HalleyTDI

TDI
MK4 Golf TDI
I did a quick search and didn't see anything. wondering if anyone had any information or links regarding emissions tests in Ontario for out TDIs

from what I've heard the "test" is a curb side idle, and it it doesn't smoke it passes.

do we need a catalytic converter on our diesels? EGR? crankcase vent?

just wondering. thanks

newtdidave

TDI
2003 TDI GLS 5sp ALH
My last etest, the guy asked if it was diesel, I said yes and he rolled his eyes....It's a joke!!! If ur diesel car failed an etest, It has to have something majorly wrong with it. As for a catalytic converter, they generally don't check, and don't notice b/c they don't have readings.

chaloux

Veteran Member
TDI
96 A6 Avant TDI Quattro, 04 Jetta Wagon
North of Severn Bridge (which is just South of Gravenhurst) is the cutoff for e-tests. I don't run a cat on the bug because of this. Even if there were etests here, read Dave's response: they're pretty much a joke.

Peytron

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta
I remember seeing a Hamilton Spectator article that had some statistics. The article is no longer online, but it said something like out of 10,000 diesel vws tested since drive clean's inception, 2 failed.

GD

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta TDI Highline DSG
FYI, Premium Auto in Brampton and North York does emissions tests for $30 all in. I used them for the safety and emissions on my ML320 CDI. Safety was $35.

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Halley, officially they are supposed to do a visual inspection (which means the catalyst, EGR, crankcase vent are all supposed to be there) and then idle it for 5 minutes. If it emits visible smoke for more than 1 minute total out of that 5 then it fails.

In practice, it's "Start it up ... OK give me a minute ... Ya whatever, here's your filled out form"

imo000

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 M-B ML320 Diesel & '05 Passat TDI Manual 5-Speed
Actually it's not 1 total minute out of 5 but, one countinuous minute during the five.

But yes, it's a joke and considering it costs the same as the gasoline/dynow test, it's a total money grab too. It should cost $5 not $35.

MoldovaDIZEL

Vendor
TDI
mk4 TDI, 98 Cabrio AAZ
they didnt even start mine :D cause i had the keys and they never asked..
its a diesel sir
oh,ok,thats 40$ pretty much how it goes

imo000

Top Post Dawg
TDI
for 35$ might as well take a risk,i mean they cant make u do unecessary repairs if u have a valid knowledge of the grey area..
You'd be suprised what one mechanic might say is passable and the other no. As yourself this: Why are they half price from everyone else? Are they that desperate for business? If they are, why? In all reality you are only saving about $35. I found 2 honest shops in Cambridge that have been using for safety for 20 years. There are soooo many others that will make up $hit just to try to get your money. I do all my own work so they never saw a dime but it was a pisser when I had to pull a perfectly good part becaue the mechanic didn't want to pass it.

HalleyTDI

TDI
MK4 Golf TDI
Thanks for the great info everyone. I actually just got the letter reminding me to renew my tags (and i need an emissions test this time) in the mail yesterday.

mo_focus

Veteran Member
TDI
84 944
I usually pay 35$ for etest and 40$ for certify.

Etest is gov regulated price so its all the same.

Certification i pay 40$ bc of my dad's mechanics, they charge whatever they think its fair. Afterall they are the ones that are taking a risk not you. If anything happens then they will loose thier licence.

GD

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta TDI Highline DSG
I usually pay 35$ for etest and 40$ for certify.

Etest is gov regulated price so its all the same.
I think the gov't sets the cap on etest fees but garages can charge anything below the regulated fee. Hence, Premium Auto charges $30 all in.

dieselsparky

TDI
2001 Shadow Blue TDI Jetta
You'd be suprised what one mechanic might say is passable and the other no. As yourself this: Why are they half price from everyone else? Are they that desperate for business? If they are, why? In all reality you are only saving about $35. I found 2 honest shops in Cambridge that have been using for safety for 20 years. There are soooo many others that will make up $hit just to try to get your money. I do all my own work so they never saw a dime but it was a pisser when I had to pull a perfectly good part becaue the mechanic didn't want to pass it.
Just out of curiosity, what are the 2?

Bush Hopper

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
97 Eurovan, 2001 Jetta and a few other
government officials room this site. I was pretty sure these kind of threads would get locked up to prevent unnecessary new regulations that would change emission standards or testing.

HalleyTDI

TDI
MK4 Golf TDI
Ok bit of an update. I went and got my first diesel emissions test today, and what everyone was saying happened.

They took it to the front and let it idle and watched for smoke. the guy had struggles getting it to the front of the shop. first he didn't know how to start it, then couldn't find reverse, then somehow managed to stall it.
anyways, they didn't seem to check for anything else (cat, crankcase vent, etc.) on the report it says N/A beside those things. so who knows if they were supposed to check or not. oh well.

They also didnt seem to mind the mufflerectomy, he must have been too mesmerized by the turbo whistle to notice :)

hope some of this was helpful to someone, especially those new to diesel emissions tests (like me :p)

(Chart from my report)

Last edited:

dieselsparky

TDI
2001 Shadow Blue TDI Jetta
Cambirdge Auto Repair (in Galt, Portugese owne) and Mufflerman on Helpeler Rd (across from the Cambridge Centre/mall, next to Arby's).
I've seen a few TDI's at Cambridge auto Repair for service every now and again, ever had work done there before or only safety?

imo000

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I've seen a few TDI's at Cambridge auto Repair for service every now and again, ever had work done there before or only safety?
I do all my work but they have a really good reputation for being honest and fair priced. I've known them from before they moved to Christopher Dr.