What is the best tow hitch to get?

CALL911

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI
So I know of these guys> http://www.etrailer.com/ but what other options are there for towing?

I guess the bigger question will be if that will work to pull what I want. I know that the ALH Golf can pull up to 2,000 lbs (200 lbs tongue weight for the linked hitch).

There is a airplane I will be looking to buy soon. It is a light experimental aircraft in parts inside the trailer. The trailer seems to be fairly basic. I am guessing it weights maybe 1,000 lbs. The plane weighs 500 lbs. The tongue weight is guestimated at 100-150 lbs. All this seems to be correct. But I wanted to run it past everyone here before I do it. I realize these weights are guesses (past the airplane that I know weighs 500 lbs), but I am thinking that they should be accurate.

What do you think?

Here is a couple pics of the trailer

Here is a pic of the trailer before it was enclosed

The trailer has lights on it, so I am guessing I will need a wiring adapter as well.

migbro

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf GL
There is a airplane I will be looking to buy soon. It is a light experimental aircraft in parts inside the trailer.
Before you buy this plane, check that it's N-numbered and has a valid registration and airworthiness certificate. The FAA created the Light Sport Aircraft category several years ago and as a result there are a fair number of former "fat" ultralights out there that can now not be N-numbered and therefore can not be legally flown. The value of these planes is usually not much more than the value of the engine as they can only be sold for parts.

You may be on top of all this and know exactly what you're buying, but there are sellers out there who will take advantage of a buyer who is not up to speed on the FAA regs. I'd be happy to supply more details if you wish.

Last edited:

concours

Veteran Member
TDI
2006.6 Jetta GLS 5 speed 125,000 miles, 2001.5 Jetta GLS 5-speed, Tornado Red, Monsoon w/CD changer
While the weight of that trailer and cargo may be OK, the frontal area is over the top. FORGET that! It's too much. And I prefer www.hiddenhitch.com

NarfBLAST

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf 5MT
Hi! The Draw-Tite hitch seem to me to be much better because it mouts at four points with the forward extension, if it is the one in this picture: http://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Hitch/Volkswagen/Golf/2001/24679.html?vehicleid=20012350

I like that www.hiddenhitch.com provides a .pdf showing the actual construction of their hitch, which is not as strong in my opinion because it only mounts at two of the four points that the Draw-Tite uses: http://www.hiddenhitch.com/content/downloads/installation/N60943.pdf

Here is a pic of my Draw-Tite installed, notice the bar that extends forward then wraps around the spare tire-well.

CALL911

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI
Before you buy this plane, check that it's N-numbered and has a valid registration and airworthiness certificate. The FAA created the Light Sport Aircraft category several years ago and as a result there are a fair number of former "fat" ultralights out there that can now not be N-numbered and therefore can not be legally flown. The value of these planes is usually not much more than the value of the engine as they can only be sold for parts.

You may be on top of all this and know exactly what you're buying, but there are sellers out there who will take advantage of a buyer who is not up to speed on the FAA regs. I'd be happy to supply more details if you wish.
...it never fails. I ask a specific question, giving specific info, and and get answers on the specific info, and not the specific question. "Yes" I am on top of "all of this" as far as the aircraft is concerned.

While the weight of that trailer and cargo may be OK, the frontal area is over the top. FORGET that! It's too much. And I prefer www.hiddenhitch.com
What do you mean the frontal area is over the top? Do you mean it is too heavy for the 200 tongue limit of the hitch? I am not saying it isn't, but the trailer is a light one structurally, and the best info I have right now is that the weight on the tongue is still worst case scenario safe with at least 50 lbs to spare.

Hi! The Draw-Tite hitch seem to me to be much better because it mouts at four points with the forward extension, if it is the one in this picture: http://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Hitch/Volkswagen/Golf/2001/24679.html?vehicleid=20012350

I like that www.hiddenhitch.com provides a .pdf showing the actual construction of their hitch, which is not as strong in my opinion because it only mounts at two of the four points that the Draw-Tite uses: http://www.hiddenhitch.com/content/downloads/installation/N60943.pdf

Here is a pic of my Draw-Tite installed, notice the bar that extends forward then wraps around the spare tire-well.

I agree that this hitch seems to be connected in more areas and by that fact more "stongly attached" to my Golf. I am more concerned with strength than hiding that I have a hitch setup on the back.

More opinions wanted! (on the hitch)

migbro

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf GL
...it never fails. I ask a specific question, giving specific info, and and get answers on the specific info, and not the specific question. "Yes" I am on top of "all of this" as far as the aircraft is concerned.
Cool. What kind of aircraft is it?

lifer

Veteran Member
I have a 2000 jetta and have towed a small enclosedtrailer with it. The one I towed was smaller than the one in your picture and had a buble front end. The car was very slugish pulling it but it would do it. I would say that if you are only towing it 20 or 30 miles you can get by towing it but that would be about it. Your car will have all it can do to maintain 50-55 mph and you will have to take your time. That tailer has a large frontal area and will tow like a brick. the wind resistance will make it feel like you are towing 4000 lbs. I would not expect to tow it back and forth to take the plain out. If you are going to tow it a couple times short distance you are legal and the car could strain to do it but not as a steady diet.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
It isn't the weight so much in this case maybe as the sheer size of the trailer. It will catch a lot of wind. Like posted above if you need to move it a short distance a few times okay. Going down the road though for any distance is probably not safe especially at highway speeds (if you can get it up that fast anyway). That thing looks to be twice the size of your car. Any big wind might just pull you right off the road. You are buying an experimental plane in pieces and don't understand the term "frontal area"?

NB_TDi

Vendor
TDI
2014 Jetta SE
Legally they are all the same.... Class I.

As long as it's installed correctly, you have nothing to fear. Of course that is if you are towing within the limits of Class I.

poor1

Veteran Member
TDI
MK4
VW's own towbar is a substantial bit of engineering with a detachable swan neck ball, but pretty expensive. Mine came with an included purpose made cross member which replaces the original fitted to the car, so there is quite a lot of work to do in fitting it, including removing the bumper. You also need to cut out a piece of the bumper to accommodate the arm, which focuses the mind when it is new.

CALL911

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI
Okay so I am now in need of more info. I guess I don't understand how something built to tow 2,000 lbs (which I have been told on this board before that it has towed more than that safely), can't safely tow 1500 lbs.

The wind resistance makes sense, but it would seem to me that when something is given a tow limit in pounds, they figure worse case scenario figure out a limit, then state a lower/safer limit than was actually found.

The drive would not be a short distance. It would be about a 6 hour drive at 60 MPH (or I am sure I could drive at 50 MPH). Everything fits under the legal classification of class 1. I have everything covered legal wise (checked individual state laws, and would be legal), I just need to know if I can make the trip or not.

If I am convinced it can't make it, I'll simply borrow a buddies truck instead.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
There is more to it than just the static weight and the tongue weight. Most that have towed more had trailer brakes as well IIRC. Is this just a one time trip to bring it home? If so then taking your time and driving carefully will probably work. Watch out for crosswinds. I would choose the truck though if it were me. Heavier tow vehicle for something like this I think would be better.

CALL911

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI
There is more to it than just the static weight and the tongue weight. Most that have towed more had trailer brakes as well IIRC. Is this just a one time trip to bring it home? If so then taking your time and driving carefully will probably work. Watch out for crosswinds. I would choose the truck though if it were me. Heavier tow vehicle for something like this I think would be better.
If it makes a difference, the weight is mostly evenly balanced in the trailer, not putting any substancial load on the tongue. This will be a one time trip to drive it home, but as stated before it is a 6 hour drive (300 miles), and I need to know if it will be safe or not. The plane, although light costs 3 times more than I spent on my VW, and the last thing I need to have on my hands is an accident waiting to happen with something I just spent quite a bit of hard earned cash on. If its mearly a matter of driving it slow and safe, then it won't be a problem. If its a matter of over stressing something, and damaging something at the least, then I need to know.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Slow and safe will do it. You are within weight limits. Watch for winds though. You have a lot of sail area and not that much weight to keep it down in place. Good luck! What kind of plane? Vans RV maybe? Love those!

NB_TDi

Vendor
TDI
2014 Jetta SE
Okay so I am now in need of more info. I guess I don't understand how something built to tow 2,000 lbs (which I have been told on this board before that it has towed more than that safely), can't safely tow 1500 lbs.

The wind resistance makes sense, but it would seem to me that when something is given a tow limit in pounds, they figure worse case scenario figure out a limit, then state a lower/safer limit than was actually found.

The drive would not be a short distance. It would be about a 6 hour drive at 60 MPH (or I am sure I could drive at 50 MPH). Everything fits under the legal classification of class 1. I have everything covered legal wise (checked individual state laws, and would be legal), I just need to know if I can make the trip or not.

If I am convinced it can't make it, I'll simply borrow a buddies truck instead.
Sorry but these cars weren't designed to tow at all. If they were, they'd have a frame. A hitch being rated for 2,000lbs isn't the same as a car being rated to tow.

Just because the engine can haul it, doesn't mean the brakes, frame and driver can.

lifer

Veteran Member
Slow and safe will do it. You are within weight limits. Watch for winds though. You have a lot of sail area and not that much weight to keep it down in place. Good luck! What kind of plane? Vans RV maybe? Love those!
I think you can do it . You will just need to take your time and slow and steady is your friend. It will seem like for ever driving home though. The wind will catch the trailer a lot and if you can pick a calm day it will help a lot. My post above I did not tow the trailer a long way so I was just giving my thoughts from pulling it. Your milage will be doing good to be in the upper teens and forget OD.

Last edited:

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Not being designed for it doesn't necessarily preclude it from being done safely.

I would consider the hitch NarfBLAST showed above due to more connection points. The weight should not be evenly distributed either. The tongue weight should be 10% of the total trailer weight, not to exceed the hitch limit. You need some down force on the ball. Don't forget safety chains and other such very needed safety gear. I like to use pad locks to lock the hitch and chains up myself. Bring spare tires/wheels for the trailer in case of blow outs and a bearing set or two might be in order as well. Grease up the axles before leaving as well. Air pump of some kind and check that all lights and signals are connected and working. If you are taking it slow, stay off the Interstate and staying on state highways would be good as well. If you go slow and leave plenty plenty stopping distance at all times, it should be doable. I would still choose the truck if it were me though.

Geomorph

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Golf and 2002 NB
What about a Euro OEM-type Hitch?:

http://www.idparts.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=550

I have the Westfalia version of this on my Golf. It doesn't bolt to the bottom of the car but instead replaces the metal bumper underneath of the plastic bumper. There are actually slots with holes for it to bolt right in. It is very solid. My Bentley manual actually has a page showing how this type of hitch is installed.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
It is probably the best one to get but pretty expensive and not certified for the US. There may be some issues there if stopped or an accident happens. Widely used in the EU though.

Geomorph

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Golf and 2002 NB
It is probably the best one to get but pretty expensive and not certified for the US. There may be some issues there if stopped or an accident happens. Widely used in the EU though.
Yeah I know, but it is solid. Also, when you are not using it and pop the swan neck out, you can't even tell that there is a Hitch on the car (unless you crawl under the back bumper and look up). I have searched the forums for issues but I hadn't found any and have been happy with it. There are actually quite a few threads on this and I recommend to the OP to read up.

CALL911

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI
Off the topic, but if people must know, the plane is a Falcon XP. It's classified as an Experimental Light Sport (E-LSA). It has a good N number, and has been recently certfied along with all its other paper work that is up to date and good from the FAA.

Sorry but these cars weren't designed to tow at all. If they were, they'd have a frame. A hitch being rated for 2,000lbs isn't the same as a car being rated to tow.

Just because the engine can haul it, doesn't mean the brakes, frame and driver can.
If they weren't designed to tow, I find it funny that it has a tow rating, along with companies who make hitch's, and plenty of people that have done it safely. That being said, I agree that the purpose behind these cars where not to tow things on a regular basis, and that it would not be the ideal vehicle for the job. However, given the parameters met for safe requirements (under the weight limit), along with driving slow, a fresh set of brakes, and just good defensive driving, I am finding it hard to believe that my Golf TDI just won't be up to the challenge. Now, if someone can show me some facts supporting the other side of the fence, that driving this while in the weight criterea is still not safe, I am still up for info.

I think you can do it . You will just need to take your time and slow and steady is your friend. It will seem like for ever driving home though. The wind will catch the trailer a lot and if you can pick a calm day it will help a lot. My post above I did not tow the trailer a long way so I was just giving my thoughts from pulling it. Your milage will be doing good to be in the upper teens and forget OD.
My car is a 5 speed. I didn't figure I would be getting anywhere close to my usual mileage (I average around 52 mpg). But even if it were in the teens, that would still be better than what the truck would get that I would pull this with otherwise.

Not being designed for it doesn't necessarily preclude it from being done safely.

I would consider the hitch NarfBLAST showed above due to more connection points. The weight should not be evenly distributed either. The tongue weight should be 10% of the total trailer weight, not to exceed the hitch limit. You need some down force on the ball. Don't forget safety chains and other such very needed safety gear. I like to use pad locks to lock the hitch and chains up myself. Bring spare tires/wheels for the trailer in case of blow outs and a bearing set or two might be in order as well. Grease up the axles before leaving as well. Air pump of some kind and check that all lights and signals are connected and working. If you are taking it slow, stay off the Interstate and staying on state highways would be good as well. If you go slow and leave plenty plenty stopping distance at all times, it should be doable. I would still choose the truck if it were me though.
Those are some more good safety points you bring up. In the end, I may end up choosing the truck. But I will drive my TDI if I am convinced I everything will be fine.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Falcon XP. I have an old mag that show a guy doing a complete build of one of these. Seems like he used a clear mylar or something for the covering. Had a different kind of control stick than a usual plane as well IIRC. I have one of these Howland Pegasus:

CALL911

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI
^Looks like a fun bird to fly. The original Falcons were covered in Tedlar. This was basically a double sided tape. The suns UV rays over a handfull of years can really weaken the Tedlar. Many Falcons (including the one I am getting) have had their wings re-covered with something else.

Alright, back to the thread.

Anyone else got .02 cents on my situation? What are the big dangers when it comes down to it? Stopping? Breaking the hitch off from the car? Having the trailer roll over in the wind? Just being too much for my TDI to pull?

KMWilliams

Veteran Member
TDI
06 NB TDI
I was under the impression the A4 had a tow rating of 1000 to 1500lbs, depending suspension and options.

I can put a class 4 hitch on my Ford Ranger pick up. Does that mean I can tow 8000lbs? When a hitch is rated, it's for the hitch construction, not the application. If you read the fine print, it will state 2000lbs or the max tow rating of the vehicle, which ever is less.

KMWilliams

Veteran Member
TDI
06 NB TDI
^

Anyone else got .02 cents on my situation? What are the big dangers when it comes down to it? Stopping? Breaking the hitch off from the car? Having the trailer roll over in the wind? Just being too much for my TDI to pull?

Wind, that is what would concern me. One good guest could pull you off the road.

That, and that trailer is just U-G-L-Y.

Good luck.

coalminer16

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf 2004
I would say wind as well. Say away from slick roads at the least with it as wind and slick roads and it could suck you in the ditch. Just a strong cross wind and a cycle about did that to me on glaze ice once. Other then that I don't see what the problem everyone is having. Yes that is a butt ugly trailer but the car can fully handle it. You should look at the towing thread once. You will have to be nice to the clutch if OEM. If you have driven with trailers the same rules apply with all trailers.

CALL911

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI
Why not go down to Hertz/Budget, etc. and rent a truck for a couple days?
Simple. This trailer is built specifically for hauling this plane. The planes wings, fuselage ect. has custom built holders in the trailer with specific foam protecters, keeping it nice and safe along with being scratch free. Best I could do with a rental trailer would be to strap everything down with a few blankets then hope the scratches aren't too bad by the time I get home.

I was under the impression the A4 had a tow rating of 1000 to 1500lbs, depending suspension and options.

I can put a class 4 hitch on my Ford Ranger pick up. Does that mean I can tow 8000lbs? When a hitch is rated, it's for the hitch construction, not the application. If you read the fine print, it will state 2000lbs or the max tow rating of the vehicle, which ever is less.
Its not an A4, its a 5 speed (I did mention that earlier). AND, I also mentioned (and can be found other places on this forum) that the car is rated from VW to tow 2,000 lbs (not just the class 1 hitch).

I would say wind as well. Say away from slick roads at the least with it as wind and slick roads and it could suck you in the ditch. Just a strong cross wind and a cycle about did that to me on glaze ice once. Other then that I don't see what the problem everyone is having. Yes that is a butt ugly trailer but the car can fully handle it. You should look at the towing thread once. You will have to be nice to the clutch if OEM. If you have driven with trailers the same rules apply with all trailers.
This won't be happening until spring in the midwest. So, there will be no slick roads. I plan on flying the plane while I am down to pick it up, and my schedule is free, so if there is a chance for bad weather, I will wait until another weekend.

Winds pushing something shaped like a boxcar are something to consider. However I will be driving it at low highway speeds, so the most direct wind will be from the front anyway. Like with the other good weather, I can wait for a non-windy weekend as well, as this again is just a one time drive home.

Anyone else have inputs? I know the facts supporting that the VW can pull the weight, but are there other facts I am not aware of making this an unwise decision?

5SP TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 JSW TDI, DSG.
The TDI will be able to handle the weight limits of what you want to tow. The key here is the height of the trailer (wind issues) and length (the TDI has such a short wheelbase for towing, anything more than a utility type trailer would probably be unsafe). A somewhat sufficient wind gust from a passing semi-truck may cause your trailer to sway and overcome the TDI causing a wreck. I would rent a truck or borrow one from a friend and pay the extra fuel cost difference. Especially if this is only a one time tow event.

Jeff

CALL911

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI
The TDI will be able to handle the weight limits of what you want to tow. The key here is the height of the trailer (wind issues) and length (the TDI has such a short wheelbase for towing, anything more than a utility type trailer would probably be unsafe). A somewhat sufficient wind gust from a passing semi-truck may cause your trailer to sway and overcome the TDI causing a wreck. I would rent a truck or borrow one from a friend and pay the extra fuel cost difference. Especially if this is only a one time tow event.

Jeff
You make a viable argument my friend.