www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKIII-A3/B4 TDIs

VW MKIII-A3/B4 TDIs This is a discussion about MKIII-A3/MkIII Jetta/Golf (<99.5) and B4 Passats (96,97) TDI's. Non TDI related postings will be moved or removed.

Old April 22nd, 2013, 07:36   #31
Winkowitsch2011

TDI(s): 98.5 Jetta

Hilljack,
I also put the glow plug relay in wrong spot. Smoked something. Now no cruise, horn or turn signal. Replaced switch. still nothing. Any other ideas? Thanks
Winkowitsch2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2013, 04:30   #32
luceberg
Veteran Member

Here is a video I found on this subject, in german with subtitles.

http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/s...starter-switch
Old April 23rd, 2013, 09:05   #33
rdkern
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: A4 = wife drives it, don't know

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winkowitsch2011 View Post
Hilljack,
I also put the glow plug relay in wrong spot. Smoked something. Now no cruise, horn or turn signal. Replaced switch. still nothing. Any other ideas? Thanks
Fuses? 13, 15, 17 may or may not have anything to do with it.
Old May 28th, 2013, 10:50   #34
MarsBar
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: B4V - 37 combined; ALH - 53 best highway so far

Having issues that may be ignition switch related, but would love the opinions of all you folks.

Relay 109 and Relay 18 getting hot (both brand new), as in almost too hot to touch, after maybe 10 minutes and the 109 is showing signs of failing again. Don't have any issues with turn signal or wipers, but I can make the radio turn off/on by wiggling the key when it's in the ignition.

What are your thoughts on the gremlin that's wreaking havoc on my car???
MarsBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2013, 18:03   #35
TonyJetta
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: A5: 36mpg Avg / A6: 39

You may need a new lock cylinder. While you're in there, replace the ignition switch.

Tony
Sent from my e-diesel fleet
Diesel fleet: 2015 Jetta TDI SE DSG; 2006 Jetta, TDI, DSG-5sp Conversion; 2006 DC Cummins, CC/LB/DRW; 1996 Passat TDI, 5sp, Project car! Troubleshooting Links: Trusted TDI Mechanics IP Timing Timing Belt FAQ A3/B4 Low Power Cyl Head Repair Fault Codes What you have just read is an opinion...take it as you see fit!
TonyJetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2013, 22:36   #36
tigers2007
Veteran Member

I have a question relating to the "Vise Grip" method -- do I clamp the VG around just below the collar (not too light as I'm assuming it needs to slide too) and then put the puller jaws around the vise grip? Anyone have a photo?

*** 1997 Passat TDI ***
*** 2008 2500HD Duramax LMM ***
tigers2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2013, 06:22   #37
Redlabel6
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: A3 51mpg, B5.5 38mpg

You are correct, pull on the vise grips. Sorry, I don't have a picture.
Redlabel6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2013, 08:55   #38
deezulmark
Veteran Member

Let's hear it for TDIclub and this sticky! Nothing like pictures and descriptions and even link to online video to take the fear and trepidation out of a job like this.

My symptoms were the starter not engaging sometimes. Would take an extra off/on cycle or three with the key. Quickly progressed to no start unless you held the key in the start position and put side pressure on the key, tilting it upward.

After reviewing all the info, I chose the "pull the entire wheel and column" method
http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?2532481-new-ignition-switch-install

Removed the driver seat which made it easier to get under the dash.

One good thing about this method vs pulling the wheel and collar is that you can't put the steering wheel back off-center. The steering shaft HAS to be in the right spline when you put it back in the U-joint or you can't put the bolt back in. That was the trickiest part, but only took a couple of attempts. After watching the video of the puller method, and now that I'm done, I think I still would have chosen this method even if I'd had a puller tool available to pull the collar.

Started well after 9AM this morning and am already done (before 11:30) and totally cleaned up including vacuuming out the entire driver area while the seat was out, then cleaning and greasing the seat tracks. Part was $10 at NAPA.

Someone mentioned that there was a recall on the switches for the 96 Passats. Called the dealer with my VIN, but they didn't show anything.

Thanks to everyone who contributed to this thread. VERY helpful!!
deezulmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2013, 15:49   #39
BKmetz
Administrator, Member #10

Fuel Economy: 50 MPG

The recall expired years ago. It was only on a certain range of VINs. After about 5 years and 100,000 miles VW's position is it's a wear item and replace as needed.

If ANYONE receives a PM/email from a TDIClub member shilling anything and they are NOT a registered vendor, please forward the PM/emails to me. To report spam, trolling, or any problem post, click the report post icon. (The icon in the actual problem post, not the one in my sig. The idiots know who they are... )
BKmetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2013, 09:16   #40
curtludwig
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: '98 - 47-53mpg, '05 - 44-48mpg

Heres something I didn't notice in any of the instructions, you MUST have the ignition unlocked when you go to pull it.

It didn't occur to me until AFTER I broke the ignition housing tabs off and then ruined the lock itself. Your puller will pull directly on the locking tab, not only can you never get the housing out it seems to cram something up inside the lock which will then never allow it to unlock again (well maybe not never but I got so frustrated I had to quit. I finally pulled the whole column.

BTW the big wrench technique for pulling the collar as in the German video works great. You need a 5 ton (or larger) 2 jaw puller, it can't be smaller and at least with my wrench can't be a 3 jaw.

Edit: Turns out the lock itself isn't ruined, just had to push it back in with a screwdriver and it works right again.

Last edited by curtludwig; September 12th, 2013 at 10:51.
curtludwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2013, 07:23   #41
larboc

TDI(s): 1998 Jetta

FWIW I used an air chisel instead of a puller to knock that hub off. Worked slick, tore it up a little but not bad.
larboc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2013, 16:31   #42
johnastephens

I just replaced my ignition switch. I was going to use a snap ring and a puller method but I couldn't find a snap ring so I welded flat iron on both sides of vice grips for the puller to pull on. everything worked out great. While I had it apart I saw that the turn signal and wiper switches could be dissembled so I took them apart and cleaned them out and put some noalox on all of the contacts. I couldn't get the cruise switches apart so I spread the plastic with a screw driver and put some noalox in in the cruise switches. My cruise switches haven't worked so good in 10 years. That Noalox is some great stuff.
johnastephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2014, 19:08   #43
geez
Veteran Member

There is a great youtube video I used. Lighting is a little to be desired for my old eyes...BUT, as mentioned above, instead of the "fancy" puller, I used vise grips as well. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0wkNCLVWtcw
98 Jet TDI 292K miles, sold
The beatings will continue until morale improves!
geez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2014, 06:00   #44
Abacus
That helpful B4 guy

Fuel Economy: And the miles just keep ticking away

I can't believe I haven't posted something on this thread yet. Here is my method, which is simple and takes about 1/2 hour total. I've done about a dozen so far without a single problem.

Originally from this post, as well as others:

I use a bearing splitter and a piece of Uni-strut. I bought the bearing splitter at a yard sale and the Uni-strut I pulled off the scrap heap. Ignition switches being a pain are a thing of the past with this setup and I always keep it in my tool box.

Abacus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2014, 19:21   #45
Jzallan

I saw a few symptoms from a bad ignition switch early in the post. I have a 96 passat I don't drive that often (want it to I last forever) and just recently the memory, like the clock and mileage shut off when I turn the car off? The odometer turns off also. I just wondered if this might also be a symptom of a bad ignition switch?
Jzallan is offline   Reply With Quote