Tow Package TDI 2010 Q7 question

nile

TDI
none
ok

so no receptacle for my trailer
no electronic brake conroller
other than my dealer who in the GTA installs these things?
is it a DIY job?
i notice in the wheel well there are electronics with plug in slots
is this a plug and play sort of deal or quite involved

thanks

nile

TDI
none
sorry for not being clear

i have the factory installed tow package
just need the electric brake control unit and 7 pin receptacle installed
my trailer weighs 3500 lbs and has electric brakes
do i really need a brake control unit?
i do need the 7 pin receptacle though

thanks
niall

railflyer

TDI
Passat Wagon, 2005, Stonehenge Gray
Well, most state laws that I know of require brakes over 2500 pounds. If you load the trailer to 3500 pounds and dont have brakes it will push you in a panic stop.

My 8000 pound one ton dually diesel routinely towed a 5500 pound empty gooseneck. Once I lost my trailer brakes and that 5500 pounds would play hell with an 8000 pound truck.

You are going to have to add a controller. I do not know where it would go. Post over at the site I gave you, or better yet search it because many there have done it.

TXRanger83

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI
nile said:

thanks
niall
I picked up a 7 pin receptacle at the audi parts house for my dad's q7 last week. Its just 4 screws and a you remove the blank plug and the 7 pin plugs right in and screws in place, takes maybe 10 min if that

DUTCH VanAtlanta

TDI
2015 Audi Q7 3.0 TDI
nile said:

thanks
niall
I can't answer your question about a brake controller, but a very simple DIY to install the 7-pole socket is in message #2 in this thread:

http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforums/porsche-cayenne-forum/568517-trailer-hitch.html

If you have the factory installed towing package, you'll have the exact same plug hidden behind the small plastic cover plate next to the hitch receiver.

johnt26

TDI
2009 Jetta Sedan
Does anyone know what the tow package on the Q7 TDI actually includes? Does it have additional engine cooling and or transmission cooling? i'm looking at some used '09s, some don't have have towing provisions, if the dealer adds the hitch and electrical hook up, how much would it be rated to tow?
Thanks!

Wobisobi

Veteran Member
TDI
Missing my Audi Q7 3.0 TDI
Does anyone know what the tow package on the Q7 TDI actually includes? Does it have additional engine cooling and or transmission cooling? i'm looking at some used '09s, some don't have have towing provisions, if the dealer adds the hitch and electrical hook up, how much would it be rated to tow?
Thanks!
My understanding is that the factory tow package bumps the tow capacity from something like 5500 to 6600. This, I was told, is due to the more robust cooling for the transmission. It also includes wiring out to the hitch where you can then insert a 7 pin plug.

PritchardM

TDI
2004 Touareg
You can also get a wireless brake controller and not have to worry about fishing the wires or plug to hook up. I know in the Touaregs, you have to run the wire from the front to the back by the hitch to connect the brake controller for trailers. Do the Q7's have an easier way to connect the brake controller?

Last edited:

Ronvanb

TDI
2002 Jetta GLS
Q7 with tow package is pre-wired for adapter plug available online. Plugs into wiring harness behind kick panel on driver's side. Then just plug in your brake controller. Very simple.

Pwdr Extreme

TDI
2011 Audi Q7
Q7 with tow package is pre-wired for adapter plug available online. Plugs into wiring harness behind kick panel on driver's side. Then just plug in your brake controller. Very simple.
Can anybody tell me the part number or give me the name of the dealer where they have actually bought this part? I have called 3 Audi dealers and two VW dealers and they are all completely clueless. Etrailer doesn't show an aftermarket harness when I called them.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, I have a controller on the way and need to pick up my trailer in a few weeks.

Thanks!